A pic of my 284 lb XRL

What do you think?

2013-07-12 14.21.10.jpg

What do you think?

This so much better than the stocker in every way in power, handling and agility and is an absolute blast in the woods. Wheelies and power slides come easy on this lightened pig.

The rear brake pedal is surprisingly heavy.  Making an aluminum one would be worthwhile.

Pulling off the starter and battery in favor of a kicker is the biggest savings.

The rear brake pedal is surprisingly heavy.  Making an aluminum one would be worthwhile.

Pulling off the starter and battery in favor of a kicker is the biggest savings.

I am not really interested in losing the battery and starter. It came in handy several times out in the rough stuff. The battery itself is a tiny ballistic unit that weighs about a pound. If i decided to run kick only, i would probally get a xr650r. Your right about the rear brake pedal being heavy. I could probally get something fabricated and save maybe a pound. :thumbsup:

Are you riding dirt only, didn't see a plate?

Are you riding dirt only, didn't see a plate?

Its completely street legal. I drive it on the road also. Look really close under the tail light beside the the red tip of the muffler. There is a license plate there. Its dirty and hard to read from behind though...on purpose..lol.

What front fender is that

What front fender is that

The front and rear fender are the stockers that i trimmed.

How many pounds did you take off?

Looks dirty. Perfect!

How many pounds did you take off?

40 lbs

It needs a sticker on the tank. ;)

What exactly did you do to lose the 40 lbs?

What exactly did you do to lose the 40 lbs?

Go to page 7..." New member with a 284 lb xrl650"

It needs a sticker on the tank. ;)

I had some nice white "Honda XR" stickers on the tank. One on each side. Looked great for about 2 weeks until the gas leaching through kept causing bubbles in them so i took them off.

I had some nice white "Honda XR" stickers on the tank. One on each side. Looked great for about 2 weeks until the gas leaching through kept causing bubbles in them so i took them off.

I've had a Factory Effex sticker on my 2001 with Clarke tank for more than four years and it still looks as good as new, without any peeling or bubbles.

I just put a different set of Factory Effex stickers on my 1994 yesterday.  I expect those to do just as well, even though it is some other type of tank.

Tank2_zpsf545f7c5.jpg

To anyone on this site that has a xrl650 that is thinking about putting their pig on a strict diet and changing the gearing...DO IT!!!!! I can not empasize enough the difference it makes in the xrl. It tranforms it from mild to wild. I am 6'2" 200lbs and when i am out in the woods running hard this pig tries to kick me off frequently. The lighter weight, gearing and proper jetting come togeather to make for a thrilling ride. when i am hard on the throttle in the first 3 gears the torque can come on violently and i am hanging on hard to the beast. Its a rip roaring, wheelie producing,loud and obnoxious red pig ripping through the woods at full gallop saying  Get the F**K out of my way, im comming through!...lol. I love it. I wish their was a "stock" xr600r around here that i could run it against. Not expecting to win. But not expecting to be beat by much neither. Forget the high compression piston, cams ect first. Do that last. Lighten it up. You know what they say " Less weight= Less wait".. :thumbsup: 

Edited by Thumper3

if this blows your socks off then redo the suspension...I imagine youll explode with so much excitement!

if this blows your socks off then redo the suspension...I imagine youll explode with so much excitement!

To be honest. I have not given it much thought. Are you talking about front and rear?

This so much better than the stocker in every way in power, handling and agility and is an absolute blast in the woods. Wheelies and power slides come easy on this lightened pig.

:lol:  :lol: :lol:

The only way you are getting these bikes to weigh a reasonable amount ,,,considering the engine weighs 1/3 the total bike weight...

Is toss the engine and put a 2 smoke air cooled in it..

B

Edited by brianhare