Would Too much Fork Oil Cause a Leak?

So I'm about semi- confident in my fork changing abilities. I've done them in the past,

successfully; however, recently I changed a set and both are now leaking. Unfortunately,

I did it in a bit of a hurry. The leak isn't too bad, but I did notice fork oil on my right boot

after riding the track.

This time I added 25cc extra fork oil. Basically it went from 350cc to 375cc. This is a 2009

KX450F.

Any idea if too much oil would cause it to leak? Or did I mess up the seal/install incorrectly?

Any ideas appreciated before I tear these forks apart (again).

Thanks,

Nick

Nicks in tube? Bushes worn?

Adding extra oil should just make the forks stiffer than normal. 

The inner bushings could be worn out. 

I have also seen cheap fork seals leak for the first few weeks they were on the bike and after that they stopped leaking. 

Any chance you put the seals in upside down? Unfortunately I have done this. The seals leaked but not that bad.  

Any chance you put the seals in upside down? Unfortunately I have done this. The seals leaked but not that bad.  

I think that's what I did.

They are both leaking at about the same rate.

It's hard to tell which direction they go. Crap!!!!!

Yea, seals upside down will allow oil to come out.  Did you lightly oil them when you assembled them?  I normally set the oil level by measuring the oil height in my forks.  Also, dirt in the seals can allow them to leak even if they are brand new.  I have replaced seals and had them leak on the first ride.  Sometime you can get lucky and run old 35mm camera film between the seal and the fork tube and clean them out.  I have head other guys use the really thin feeler gauge too. 

Yea, seals upside down will allow oil to come out.  Did you lightly oil them when you assembled them?  I normally set the oil level by measuring the oil height in my forks.  Also, dirt in the seals can allow them to leak even if they are brand new.  I have replaced seals and had them leak on the first ride.  Sometime you can get lucky and run old 35mm camera film between the seal and the fork tube and clean them out.  I have head other guys use the really thin feeler gauge too. 

I'm pretty sure I just put them in upside down as I did the job at the end of a long work day, in a hurry.

I need to find out a sure way to know if they are put in correctly. Are there any tips, tricks, or secrets?

Well I'm officially an idiot.

This is why I rarely work on my bike on my own.

Fork seals were upside down. :bonk: