Sign in to follow this  

External oil tank? xr600r

Hi, I want to use a xr600r engine on my project, but Im not sure how i should do with the oil, can i just fabricate a external oil tank or do i need to do someting else/more?

/andper

I think the oil tank would need to be elevated above the engine, in the same way the frame's tank is.  You'd need to recreate the same oil line routing.

I think the oil tank would need to be elevated above the engine, in the same way the frame's tank is.  You'd need to recreate the same oil line routing.

i think as u say so long as its elevated and holds the same capacity wit an inlet at the top and it draws from underneath it shouldn't be a problem?

• Like 1

I made an aluminum external tank on the quad that's my avatar,  '88 NX650 motor, holds @ 4 quarts of oil. Nothing special about it, no vent set up just like stock frame tank, supply and return lines along with the valve cover vent to top of tank.

"HJ"     :cheers:

• Like 1

I made an aluminum external tank on the quad that's my avatar,  '88 NX650 motor :cheers:

got a build thread?? thats an awesome quad!!

I would think that the bottom of the tank needs to stay approximately level with or above the oil pump.

The GB500 had a remote oil tank behind the engine. You might look up pictures of those for an idea.

The GB500 had a remote oil tank behind the engine. You might look up pictures of those for an idea.

or buy one (depending on price)