Sign in to follow this  

Bolt Hub Saver Double Locked Sprocket Bolts

Ordered and received these, but they included washers in the package. Not sure if I'm to use the washers or not?  I emailed them 2 days ago, no response yet. Called a while ago, had to leave a message.

Such a simple issue, but their instructions don't mention using washers and their pictures both on the package they sent and online don't show washers.

Whats the deal?  Are the washers perhaps for only bikes that had them?  My KTM had none, but it didn't have that style of locking nut either. I haven't wanted to tighten them up until I know for sure.

Thanks.

Appreciate the response William. Bolt called me back (my email had went into spam folder). He said they only provide the washers for bikes that use them and my KTM doesn't so I shouldn't use em. Glad I held off on wrenching them on.

Washers are always used under a nut, rounded side toward the nut.

That's "should always" be used under a nut. I guess some manufacturers think a flange nut does the same thing as a washer.

• Like 1

Me personally I use no wahsers.  But on a related subject, be careful about lock nuts, lock washers or locktite.  None of these will stop a hub and sprocket from shuffling and destroying each other, if the bolts/nuts are not tightened/torqued to yield for the job at hand.  They may keep the nuts from falling off, but you will have problems before they get the chance.

Me personally I use no wahsers. But on a related subject, be careful about lock nuts, lock washers or locktite. None of these will stop a hub and sprocket from shuffling and destroying each other, if the bolts/nuts are not tightened/torqued to yield for the job at hand. They may keep the nuts from falling off, but you will have problems before they get the chance.

+1 after having this issue takin care of once i always check my sprocket bolts.

Lock washers, especially split washers, are weak and add another point of failure.  You will rarely see washers on properly engineered joints, how many do you count inside of your engine?  The spacer effect of washers increases the springiness of the bolt and helps them stay tight under thermal stress but not so important on a sprocket.