2014 WR 450f

*Posting for a friend*

My buddy just picked up a brand new 2014 WR 450f coming off a 2009 yz 450. He is very disappointed with the power output. I own a stock 2006 ktm 450 exc and my bike would walk all over it. I mean the power of the WR is comparable to a TT-R 230. Anyways my question is: Is there anything wrong with the bike or is it actually that chocked up from the factory? How much is involved with un-corking the bike and will the power ever be comparable to the yz or even my 8 year old ktm? He's really disappointed in the bike and already thinking about trading it, it only has 180 kms.

*Posting for a friend*

My buddy just picked up a brand new 2014 WR 450f coming off a 2009 yz 450. He is very disappointed with the power output. I own a stock 2006 ktm 450 exc and my bike would walk all over it. I mean the power of the WR is comparable to a TT-R 230. Anyways my question is: Is there anything wrong with the bike or is it actually that chocked up from the factory? How much is involved with un-corking the bike and will the power ever be comparable to the yz or even my 8 year old ktm? He's really disappointed in the bike and already thinking about trading it, it only has 180 kms.

The engine itself is very similar to the 5 valve 450 in his old yz (things like efi and a cam). Stock they come VERY corked up. At the least youl need the powertuner and open up the airbox and exhaust and cut/replace the throttle stop. 

The engine itself is very similar to the 5 valve 450 in his old yz (things like efi and a cam). Stock they come VERY corked up. At the least youl need the powertuner and open up the airbox and exhaust and cut/replace the throttle stop.

His old bike wasn't fuel injected, me or him has 0 experience with it. I hear the throttle stop screw from the yz's fit or is there an aftermarket replacement?

His old bike wasn't fuel injected, me or him has 0 experience with it. I hear the throttle stop screw from the yz's fit or is there an aftermarket replacement?

Yes the wr has a throttle body in place of the carb. A throttle screw comes with the gytr competition kit which you need to use the powertuner. It is a stock yz screw tho.

Yes the wr has a throttle body in place of the carb. A throttle screw comes with the gytr competition kit which you need to use the powertuner. It is a stock yz screw tho.

After the power tuner will the WR actually feel like a 450?

After the power tuner will the WR actually feel like a 450?

Short answer, no. Once your friend uncorks the air box, changes out the throttle screw, installs an exhaust equal to the yz, and re-maps the FI to that of the yz he will basically have his 09' yz450 back with lights and more weight.

Short answer, no. Once your friend uncorks the air box, changes out the throttle screw, installs an exhaust equal to the yz, and re-maps the FI to that of the yz he will basically have his 09' yz450 back with lights and more weight.

That's what I was looking for. Thanks bud.

• Like 1

That's what I was looking for. Thanks bud.

That's not exactly a bad thing though if your wanting a race bike in an offroad package. I prefer my wr450 over my last yz450 just because its easier to ride. My pace is no faster nor slower with it and having electric start, lights and a faster top speed when needed is a plus.

That's not exactly a bad thing though if your wanting a race bike in an offroad package. I prefer my wr450 over my last yz450 just because its easier to ride. My pace is no faster nor slower with it and having electric start, lights and a faster top speed when needed is a plus.

Yeah he's not trying to make a race bike out of it, just something with a little more guts than it had. We have miles and miles of wide open beaches around here so the power will always be used. That is also exactly why I prefer my exc over any race bike, plus it's street legal !

Yeah he's not trying to make a race bike out of it, just something with a little more guts than it had. We have miles and miles of wide open beaches around here so the power will always be used. That is also exactly why I prefer my exc over any race bike, plus it's street legal !

That's exactly what he will be getting out of Wr once its uncorked. Pretty much any new offroad bike is corked up and down on power to meet the green sticker regulations.

Mate once you fit the complete competition kit, air box mod, ecu, tb stop, tune amongst other things,, put on a powercore muffler and set up the suspension for rider weight they haul ass. Although a tad heavy compared to others, still a very capable bike and trustworthy.

Not sure in your part of the world but here in the USA the EPA choked the bike to 18 hp. If you remove the throttle stop screw, replace the muffler, install the competition ECU and load a good map it gets to the 43+ hp range. It's funny with 18 hp I don't even know how this bike sells. If I hadn't read all the mods needed for this bike I would've taken it back to the dealer thinking something was broken on it the first time I road it. It's funny this bike was actually built to run uncorked and Yamaha knew that everyone who bought it would uncork it. There's no way you're going ride a 18 hp 450. To prove my point here in the states the stock ECU is $399. Where the competition ECU is $99. The EPA made it were Yamaha had to provide a stock ECU that you cannot reprogram or cut a wire to remap it. The EPA outlawed the Suzuki RMX and Yamaha did not want the same fate to fall on them that's the reason for the ECU thats being used (no more gray wire). As far as the throttle limit screw you just need to replace it with a short screw. It is no longer used as a stop like older WR and YZ's its just to block dirt from getting in. There is a hard stop casted in the body. He can also uncorked the stock pipe that runs pretty good as well. I'm not sure but I think Canadian and Australian ECUs are programmable unlike here in the US. After the mods are done that bike will run real strong look out KTM. 

Every dealer should tell there WR450F buyers to come here and see what needs to be done to get the potential out of these bikes.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Still beats me how KTM seem to be able to make their bikes road legal without the restrictions Yamaha seems to have. Or do they come corked up as much as our bikes? Just never seem to hear the same complaints from the orange camp.

Speaking from Australia here, but the WRs seem to get similar treatment here in terms of the throttle stop etc. I was lucky the dealer in my city only sells them uncorked.

I had an 08 YZ 450 and really liked it but my uncorked / modded 12WR is twice the bike and absoloutly rips.

That is very interesting to hear. I almost bought an 09 YZ450F before I bought my WR.

I learned everything on here before I bought it and had it modded before I even rode it. I love this bike.

I didn't like the weight. I've now removed 16 pounds from my WR. My goal is 24 pounds, for a dry weight of 236 pounds.

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

I know I've been reading about it. I did the battery, but I'm not willing to lose the e start and my faster riding buddies don't want me to lose the light, and my fellow trail users like it as well.  But really I never notice it until I pick it up off the ground, so I just try not drop it. The suspension, fuel injection, e start, and side panel filter access is why I say it's better.

I know I've been reading about it. I did the battery, but I'm not willing to lose the e start and my faster riding buddies don't want me to lose the light, and my fellow trail users like it as well.  But really I never notice it until I pick it up off the ground, so I just try not drop it. The suspension, fuel injection, e start, and side panel filter access is why I say it's better.

Ditto except for the starter. I think the WR has outstanding power delivery. It would be nice if it over revved a bit more and had more on top, but the bottom is darn near perfect.

• 7 months later...

*Posting for a friend*

I too have just brought a wr450f 2014 model and was shocked at how gutless it was the rev limiter seemed to come in at only 4000 rpm and the bike felt like it had no power. I googled the hell out of solutions to no prevail, I removed the air box snorkel and removed the pea shooter exhaust tip still nothing so I called my dealer and the guys told me in the offroad and competition kit the bike came with is a small black wire with a little black box attached to the end you plug this into the white plug that's under the seat on lo and be hold she fly's heaps of power down low and revs its head off dam the suspension is so good over rough terrain too. My only problem I have with it now is it often doesn't want to start form the switch give a kick and it goes fine looking into this problem now. maybe think more powerful battery.