06' YZ 250 L. side fork tube

Well I rode the Rincon trail about a week ago and ended up scratching my lower fork tube pretty badly.  Didnt notice it until I went to ride in Big Bear over the weekend.  

Once I was unloading the bike I noticed the brake caliper covered in oil!!

Upon closer inspection I realized there was a good scratch on the chrome lower left fork leg and it was spewing oil everywhere!

Now I am trying to figure out my next mode of action, I checked the cost of a lower fork leg, WOW!  Over $300....

I can buy a pair of used forks for that much, yikes!  Another route I suppose is to get them recoated and then that would be an upgrade at least. Anybody else been in this situation?  

I have another bike I can ride when this one is down, but I was planning on racing on the 19th of Sept with it so I hope I can get it fixed before that or I will just have to race the CRF in open class, but would rather ride the 250 for this particular competition.

Fine wet and dry sand paper + super glue + new SKF fork seal and wiper. Then get the full length seal savers if you're okay with the look. Worked great on my 2006 YZ250F.

Swap

Photo-1.jpg

Well I rode the Rincon trail about a week ago and ended up scratching my lower fork tube pretty badly.  Didnt notice it until I went to ride in Big Bear over the weekend.  

Once I was unloading the bike I noticed the brake caliper covered in oil!!

Upon closer inspection I realized there was a good scratch on the chrome lower left fork leg and it was spewing oil everywhere!

Now I am trying to figure out my next mode of action, I checked the cost of a lower fork leg, WOW!  Over $300....

I can buy a pair of used forks for that much, yikes!  Another route I suppose is to get them recoated and then that would be an upgrade at least. Anybody else been in this situation?  

I have another bike I can ride when this one is down, but I was planning on racing on the 19th of Sept with it so I hope I can get it fixed before that or I will just have to race the CRF in open class, but would rather ride the 250 for this particular competition.

In most cases, there is no problem with the way that Swappa wrote. Polish the scratch in the crossing-over direction of the fork with #400-#600-#800 wet sand paper.

Even if some fine dents are left, it is usually all right if their edges disappear. It may cause a slight blur of the oil but will not become the serious problem.

And about SKF seal set, I'm using and like it , But it is expensive. It's doubled price of OEM seals.

Because it will be wasted when you fail in the polishing, I think that you should look at the state with OEM saels.

And some suspension parts seller can provide only the inner tube that dose not include a fork lug and some other inner parts. It will be priced about $150 or more.

Because a special tool and machining are necessary to part the inner tube and its lug, it will be necessary for you to consider the parting and assembling wage. The overall cost may exceed $ 200.

I'm not sure the recoating cost in the United States, but there will be the same problem unless you can D.I.Y. the parting of the fork lug.

Edited by kmtr

If you're not satisfied w the DIY repair, search keywords 'fork coating' and 'fork recoating' for lots of previous threads on removing the lugs (very difficult) DLC, Ti-Ni and chrome replacement coatings.

If you can't find what you're looking for with respect to a shop to prep the surface, remove the lugs and coat, make a post under the technical forums under suspension. Sure someone will chime in with a inland empire/high dez shop that does this type of thing. Alternatively, try Travis at TBT suspension.  

Compare the price of coating with a used leg before you pull the trigger.

Thanks guys, I ended up sanding the edges of the scratches, mixed up some JB weld layed it in and sanded it smooth again going up to 1000 grit paper and then Chrome polish, looks good, but we will see how it works out, if it doesnt work I will figure out how to separate the tube and get them coated, I am sure I can figure it out,  work as a tech and have about every tool you could imagine.

I wanna try those SKF seals, but dayum, $70 for a set!  However I have heard a lot of good things about them.  

Fine wet and dry sand paper + super glue + new SKF fork seal and wiper. Then get the full length seal savers if you're okay with the look. Worked great on my 2006 YZ250F.

Swap

I've often wanted to try the full length SS like you have, but wonders what happens at full compression. I was concerned that the bunched up material from the SS would rub on the spokes or bunch up so much that the forks couldn't fully compress. Do either of those things happen?