Sign in to follow this  

Help! Broken subframe - not for the faint-hearted

Need help. I lowsided into a guardrail. :cry: It was a dark night, so the extent of the damage did not hit me until i got to the garage. God damn. The subframe was destroyed. Also the exhaust, airbox, battery clamp... The 10mm bolt under the tank thru the frame broke clean off on the right side. The seat rail part is so cracked it's only hanging on by cable ties.

The only part that hit the guardrail was the exhaust and the subframe together. Rear wheel did not hit. I was able to pick it back up and ride home and did not realize until i parked it. I hope i can start by replacing with a new subframe and go from there.

Does it look salvageable? Pics below

QZCP4gnh.jpg

Check my imgur album for detailed pics: http://imgur.com/a/QQoIh

Edited by mkiv

Just get a new subframe off ebay and exhaust and you are good to go.

• Like 1

New sub frame cheap off ebay. New exhaust id recomend the mrd/ ssw jobs a gooden!! Looks worse than what it is i suppose hope your okay though buddy

i think i made it. a bit swelling and stiffness in places is all. if my mom found out, she would kill me. thank god for bike covers

i think i made it. a bit swelling and stiffness in places is all. if my mom found out, she would kill me. thank god for bike covers

haha well sounds like you came out of it lucky best get the stuff orderd before she founds out hahahahah! Or just tell her when she is drunk

Dayummm!   that looks pretty messed up,    start taking stuff off and see how it looks,  really hoping its just the subframe.   glad you are ok. 

Like others have mentioned... get a used SM subframe.  Most likely there is no "frame" damage, but it's hard to say depending on how you hit the guardrail (only the tail or a combo of the rear wheel/swingarm and tail).  Check the subframe mounts (3 of them) on the frame for any bending/cracks.  Get a replacement subframe and mount it up, check its fit.

Other than the small things (airbox, exhaust, battery box, etc...)that need replacing, it'd be a good idea to check the wheel alignment (confirming nothing major is bent).  There are a variety of ways, search the web, the easier probably will be the "string method".

get the broken parts off, then make sure and look at everything closely - are the bars cracked at the triples ? fork tubes bent ? axles cracked ? 

things like those mentioned don't usually seem broken until the next time heavy forces are applied, and stuff goes bad quickly. 

also, for newbies reading the thread, how about a recap of what you did wrong to cause the slide, and how to prevent other people doing the same ? this is very good information that saves lives. 

:)

get the broken parts off, then make sure and look at everything closely - are the bars cracked at the triples ? fork tubes bent ? axles cracked ? 

things like those mentioned don't usually seem broken until the next time heavy forces are applied, and stuff goes bad quickly. 

also, for newbies reading the thread, how about a recap of what you did wrong to cause the slide, and how to prevent other people doing the same ? this is very good information that saves lives. 

:)

looks like the exhaust and subframe absorbed all the damage from the hitting the guard rail, so the structural damage is limited to that area. there are wood splinters on the end cap.  it must have hit at an angle so that the rear wheel cleared it. i had axle sliders and handguards. it's still rideable, it just doesn't look that way. i will know for sure when i get the replacement subframe.

nR27dOy.jpg

3epfGSn.jpg

i approached the corner too fast, then got surprised and tried to panic brake. i had 3rd gear pinned

Edited by mkiv

looks like the exhaust and subframe absorbed all the damage from the hitting the guard rail, so the structural damage is limited to that area. there are wood splinters on the end cap. it must have hit at an angle so that the rear wheel cleared it. i had axle sliders and handguards. it's still rideable, it just doesn't look that way. i will know for sure when i get the replacement subframe.

Posted Image

Posted Image

i approached the corner too fast, then got surprised and tried to panic brake. i had 3rd gear pinned

such a shame looks a clean bike aswell just say thats your spoiler ?