HELP Fork Oil!

Hello TT!

I'm really struggling here, I'm doing new fork seals on my 2006 KTM 125SX.. I need to know how much fork oil to put in each fork.. Please help, I'm really stuck as its not in the manual.. All help is greatly appreciated.

John

I would think you'd go by oil height from the top of the tube, not a specific amount. Does your manual not tell you a recommended oil height? Two qts is usually plenty to do both forks.

Keep the outer tube down and the piston rod a little bit extended, fill the forkleg with oil till the edge of the outer tube, wait a few moments, you will see air bubbles rising up. The oil must stay above the 4 holes of the inner-tube, if necesarry fill some extra oil in the forkleg.

Move the piston-rod (keep the adjustment tube on his place) several times up and down till you feel that the cartridge is full with oil, (the damping is smooth over the entire stroke) mostly it is necesarry to fill some (not too much) extra oil in the forkleg. Now compress the piston-rod and outer- tube fully down, and fill the forkleg with oil till about 25mm under the 4 holes of the inner-tube. Move the piston-rod and the outer-tube at the same time several times up and down over the entire stroke.

Push the piston-rod and outer-tube fully down and adjust the oil level for rider comfort.

625cc

Keep the outer tube down and the piston rod a little bit extended, fill the forkleg with oil till the edge of the outer tube, wait a few moments, you will see air bubbles rising up. The oil must stay above the 4 holes of the inner-tube, if necesarry fill some extra oil in the forkleg.

Move the piston-rod (keep the adjustment tube on his place) several times up and down till you feel that the cartridge is full with oil, (the damping is smooth over the entire stroke) mostly it is necesarry to fill some (not too much) extra oil in the forkleg. Now compress the piston-rod and outer- tube fully down, and fill the forkleg with oil till about 25mm under the 4 holes of the inner-tube. Move the piston-rod and the outer-tube at the same time several times up and down over the entire stroke.

Push the piston-rod and outer-tube fully down and adjust the oil level for rider comfort.

what about running thinner fork oil? thoughts

I've always run 5W. I highly suggest not running less then that. Viscosity does have a direct effect on how the damping circuits work. Some people run higher then 5W, like 7W which I have not tried yet.

I've always run 5W. I highly suggest not running less then that. Viscosity does have a direct effect on how the damping circuits work. Some people run higher then 5W, like 7W which I have not tried yet.

what oil is stock?

what oil is stock?

I believe its 5W, but I've personally never seen a bottle of WP oil. Everyone I know who works on WP stuff, uses other manufacturers like Maxima.

Where did a poster get 625 cc?

How Bout 250sx 03? It doesnt state in the manual or i. the little pamflet wp it included.

hi guys

to do both forks  need somethng more than 1liter oil right?

should i buy 2 liters?

i have the same ktm 125

I would suggest so, I just did my 450 EXC yesterday and used about 1.3 Litres by the time I slightly over filled the forks and drained them down to leave 115mm air gap.

Edited by SouthernKiwi

Did you know that WP production forks are not filled by volume or by air gap, they are filled with a specific weight oil. No, I don't mean 5w, but by an amount on a scale.

That advice differs from my manufacturers owners manual.......

Edited by SouthernKiwi

so whats the deal? com on ppl. can we get a measuring like in cc`s?  how abiut in mm height?

My 07 450 EXC owners manual states 110mm from the top

is that twin chamber or the usual USD forks.

ppl like to change seals on KTM forks yet nobody shares their own oil measuring. out with it.

USD