Sign in to follow this  

Tuner tells friend he uses same stacks for all levels of riders?

I have a friend who got his suspension revalved, front and rear.  My friend can ride a AA pace.  He tells me he told the tuner that he likes a softer set up more so than a typical fast A/AA guy.  After he got the bike back, my friend thinks the front is to harsh.  I rode the bike and I think it has to much HS damping.  In other words, it hits hard over 4" roots at a very fast pace.  My friends comments were only that it was harsh. 

Anyway, he calls up the tuner and in talking about trying to fix it, the tuner says he puts in the same valving for all levels of riders.  Tuner feels that adjuster can take care of the rest.  Is this typical?  or just not wanting to follow through and get my friend sorted? 

The tuner is either telling the truth, and my personal feeling in this case is that he may be incompetent, or he is lying because he doesn't not want to tear into it again.?  I don't want to be too harsh on the guy because I know how hard it is to figure out what someone else wants in the feel of a dirtbike, but this does not sound right and I wanted some other opinions.

Sounds lazy to me. He paid the guy to set it up to his preference which the guy failed to do.

Some tuners for example  pro action use one stack for all.  In a way hes telling the truth and the clickers do make tons of difference but a good stack can make it better because then you can just fine tune it with the clickers and thats the way it should be as if your compensating for bad valving in the clickers than there is no fine tuning plus the bike feels weird.

Phili,

It does not sound correct to me .   Just think how many times you went into your suspension.   I wish is was that easy.  There are tuners on here that spend countless hours of

testing. 
Is he talking about across the board.  Offroad to MX? 

jw

Some tuners for example  pro action use one stack for all.  In a way hes telling the truth and the clickers do make tons of difference but a good stack can make it better because then you can just fine tune it with the clickers and thats the way it should be as if your compensating for bad valving in the clickers than there is no fine tuning plus the bike feels weird.

That is surprising to me but OK, I would not want to call reputable tuners like pro action incompetent, so I stand corrected on that one. 

James it was not specified about the same stack for different disciplines, but I think it would be safe to assume, or to give the benefit of the doubt,  the tuner was speaking of offroad only. 

IMO your friends "tuner" is a dork:)

I have a friend who got his suspension revalved, front and rear.  My friend can ride a AA pace.  He tells me he told the tuner that he likes a softer set up more so than a typical fast A/AA guy.  After he got the bike back, my friend thinks the front is to harsh.  I rode the bike and I think it has to much HS damping.  In other words, it hits hard over 4" roots at a very fast pace.  My friends comments were only that it was harsh. 

Anyway, he calls up the tuner and in talking about trying to fix it, the tuner says he puts in the same valving for all levels of riders.  Tuner feels that adjuster can take care of the rest.  Is this typical?  or just not wanting to follow through and get my friend sorted? 

The tuner is either telling the truth, and my personal feeling in this case is that he may be incompetent, or he is lying because he doesn't not want to tear into it again.?  I don't want to be too harsh on the guy because I know how hard it is to figure out what someone else wants in the feel of a dirtbike, but this does not sound right and I wanted some other opinions.

That "tuner" is not actually tuning anything..  He probably found a stack on the internet he likes and assumes that it will work for everyone.   I wouldnt go back to someone like that.

• Like 1

Somewhere here there is a post - someone seeing numerous identical revalves from RG3.  Also have seen the quote from Precision Concepts - every Honda goes out with the Johnny Campbell setup. 

There are two primary reasons why you need to vary the damping on a bike.

One is speed - the faster you go the more energy there is that needs to be converted in order to control the mass of the un-sprung weight, (mainly the wheel). Someone hitting a bump or whoop at 50MPH will need more damping than someone hitting the same bump at 30MPH.

The other reason deals with how much weight is involved when a bike goes off a jump or ledge and lands. Damping the load from a 250 pound rider is greater than the load of a 150 pound rider. And of course damping the load from someone landing hard from a 100 foot jump is different than damping the load from anything that a casual trail rider would produce.

Lastly, damping has to be matched to the spring rate. Springs are mostly used to hold the bike in a given area of the available stroke, which is usually related to the weight of the rider. Since the spring contributes, you usually need less compression damping and more rebound damping when running stiffer springs.

That said, if your customers where all within a tight range (ex. 150 to 165 Novice MX) then yes, running similar stacks would not be a problem.

• Like 1