Sign in to follow this  

Air forks better on 2014?

I am trying to make a last minute decision between a 2012 or newer kawi, and a dungey ktm. and iv heard of the Honda air forks losing pressure, which are the same forks as there are on the 13 kawis if Im not mistaken. how many people have had to deal with this and will it be fixed for the 2014's? if not if I buy a kawi id rather buy a 2012. I like the adjustability of the air forks for my weight just do not want them to be losing pressure.

Sold my 13 kx for the 13.5 Dungey. I can't speak for the 14 forks, but my 13 forks never had any issues and felt very plush. They just bottomed out super easy. 

Edited by Jarrett H

Same bike as the 13.... My air forks on my crf haven't leaked and I have 23 race hours on it

I really like the stock air fork. Whoever said they bottom easy must be like 300 pounds or dropping off 40 foot ledges because just last weekend overshot a 100 foot triple by about a full bike length and they didnt clank like the forks on my 250 would have. There is an updated pressure spring in the 14 forks, but its available by enzo already for the 13's. I paid 6119 OTD for the 13 450 mid july, and a full PC TI exhaust, gift certificate, and lame monster energy graphics kit showed up at my house the other day as well due to some promotion

Edited by dmm698
  • Like 1

I really like the stock air fork. Whoever said they bottom easy must be like 300 pounds or dropping off 40 foot ledges because just last weekend overshot a 100 foot triple by about a full bike length and they didnt clank like the forks on my 250 would have. There is an updated pressure spring in the 14 forks, but its available by enzo already for the 13's. I paid 6119 OTD for the 13 450 mid july, and a full PC TI exhaust, gift certificate, and lame monster energy graphics kit showed up at my house the other day as well due to some promotion

u think I could shop around in mass and get around or under 6 for a 13 now? maybe a 12 for even cheaper?

Sold my 13 kx for the 13.5 Dungey. I can't speak for the 14 forks, but my 13 forks never had any issues and felt very plush. They just bottomed out super easy. 

Jarrett,  I am debating between a new leftover 13 KX 450 or a leftover 13 KTM 450.  Both are about the same price.  I currently own a 12 KX 450 that I have been very happy with but I like to switch things up every so often (and the electric start would be nice).  Any regrets over the switch?

im 240lbs and my forks on the 13 kx were a little soft after a revalve tho no regrets. 508$ got me revalve front and rear plus new spring  

I am 175lbs and a front of the pack B rider. The forks would blow through the entire stroke on hard landings and also would bottom out every time I would over shoot super small jumps. 

Jarrett,  I am debating between a new leftover 13 KX 450 or a leftover 13 KTM 450.  Both are about the same price.  I currently own a 12 KX 450 that I have been very happy with but I like to switch things up every so often (and the electric start would be nice).  Any regrets over the switch?

Didn't want to hijack the thread, but I think this is related to the OP's original post. 

I loved my KX and put a considerable amount of cash in it. I had a few friends that swore by the ktm but I never liked them until this last year when they got their stuff together. First ride on the bike I was grinning ear to ear. The ktm feels so nimble it's almost hard to explain and the suspension is much better than people like to give it credit for. I know they made huge suspension changes in 13/14, so that could be part of it. 

The main difference between the bikes is the fit and finish. The ktm is like a work of art, they literally thought of everything. Brembro brakes from the master cylinder to the caliper. Brembo clutch master as well.  Galfer oversized waved rotors, twin air filter, electric start, excel rims, "billet" hubs(they are machined from cast), the list goes on forever.The coolest and simplest things I liked were how solid the drain plugs were and that one is magnetic. When you look at the bike up close you can see the quality differences. The rear brake link where the japanese manufactures use a simple swivel joint from the lever to the master, ktm decided to use a heim joint. 

Either bike is super sick and will be the best bike on the track, the choice literally comes down to if you want a super rigid and stable bike that has tons of low end grunt, or if you prefer are more nimble bike that feels like you are riding a 125, but is also setup for more mid to top end power. 

My kx

9329371757_902d0ae7c9_z.jpg

Ktm

9612433893_e1c1e096f2_z.jpg

Edited by Jarrett H

I just got a 13 leftover with the promotional package pcti 5 pipe graphics 100 gift card and $1000 off the top I would go that route if ya decide on the kx the 14 only changed the grips and graphics

• Like 1

Sorry to the OP, it appears that I did temporarily hijack your thread.

Thanks Jarrett that was exactly the info I was looking for.  MX 511, I was unaware of the pipe option along with the rebate, that is good info!

Where are you located? What dealership? I've been shopping around and can't find prices even close to that!

• Like 1

2 of the dealers within 50 miles of me for kawis and one just stopped selling bikes and its less then a mile from my house which sucks. if I can find a 13 for around 6 id definitely do that. and if I were to find that pc pipe deal around mass I would love that. I like the air fork for me being 225 and still losing weight but the healthy weight for my height is still 190ish so I would want a stiffer front end anyways. just nervous about the first year of an air fork and I saw a few threads of them blown out, but I never heard of a recall so :excuseme:

Where are you located? What dealership? I've been shopping around and can't find prices even close to that!

I think the pipe/graphics/gift card deal is over it was a july thing. I think its a stand and ez up or something now. I'm a top 6-7 B guy every weekend in 250 and open and weigh about 180. Have no issues with them blowing through the stroke. Have overjumped some big stuff and not had them clank.

I bought the 13 from pocono power center in PA. I paid cash so no sales tax because it was out of state (i'm in NY). I'm pretty sure it was the last one they had, but he said his other partner store may of had more. They said they'd be getting 14's in soon (this was a month ago now) and that they'd probably be priced in the high 6's which seemed REALLY cheap to me for a 14 in august of 2013. Give them a call if you want. Were super easy to deal with I left deposit on phone on monday after a 2 minute phone conversation, was in and out saturday mornign in less than 30 minutes. hate waiting around in the dealership.

IMO KTM has come a long way from what it used to be but I cant justify the price tag of them. You loose your rear running a brand new bike for one season and selling as it is, and you'll loose it and then some on the KTM. 

u think I could shop around in mass and get around or under 6 for a 13 now? maybe a 12 for even cheaper?

You wont find a 13 for around 6 in mass because, you'll have to pay tax. Buy out of state and avoid the sales tax. A friend financed a 13 RMZ through ronnies in VT (he's from NY) and they got around the sales tax even with him financing.

You wont find a 13 for around 6 in mass because, you'll have to pay tax. Buy out of state and avoid the sales tax. A friend financed a 13 RMZ through ronnies in VT (he's from NY) and they got around the sales tax even with him financing.

I just talked to pilgrim power sports which a good supportive kawi dealer in southern mass and they said otd they can give me 6199 because 2 of my friends are lorettas team green riders through them and its a little deal. cliffs cycles and cycles 128 north of boston sold a 13 ktm 450 to a guy I ride with for 6099 otd. the deals can be found but its tough. looks like if it all works out good which is rare im getting a 13.

yea, I can't believe these prices, wow! I bought mine about 3 weeks ago in Ohio and paid $7900 OTD (we have 7% sales tax here). I am a big guy and had heavier springs installed. I actually like the air fork, but so far the bike hasn't been ridden aggressively or jumped.

yea, I can't believe these prices, wow! I bought mine about 3 weeks ago in Ohio and paid $7900 OTD (we have 7% sales tax here). I am a big guy and had heavier springs installed. I actually like the air fork, but so far the bike hasn't been ridden aggressively or jumped.

in new England its even better to go out of state most of the time for no sales tax but im getting a good enough deal from a good dealership that im happy with that price and a supportive place with good people.