Drz400S vs Drz400E power/cam install?

I got an 2001 drz400s that I have been tinking about installing a pair of cams and the 39mm fcr carb

Currently the bike has an yoshi slip on and the 3x3 modd and jetted other than that its stock

What is the power difference between the two set ups

Whet does it cost for an 39mm carb used or new

And what are the best cams to install into it new or used ?

The general rule of thumb for used carbs is they can be risky if you don't know where it came from. Between the 39mm and E cams you'll notice a considerable difference, although adding either the E model header or an aftermarket full system (MRD) will really bring those mods to life.

Hot cams (stage 1 or 2) is another option.

Personally I went with a new 39mm FCR-MX, it was the newer design and I had peace of mind knowing what I paid for, I dropped it in the bike and within 3 cranks it was running flawlessly.

Edited by Brandon B
  • Like 1

nope! most of these moda can be done independently

Yes....some like to do mods one by one , others do everything at once....

It's a good idea to stop and think how far you want to go with engine mods before you start...like there are different paths to take for Stroker and Big bore/stock displacement...

it's really about doing stuff the most cost effective way by considering what the limit of engine modification is for you...

Like a 39 fcr is good for stock/bb but not the best for stroker, and the same deal with hotcams / E cams

I will elaborate on the 'power improvement' Q.

cams 1.5 hp (mid and top-end)

fcr39 2 hp (response and topend mostly) because the stock header is choking it. With good pipe 4 hp

Maybe a bit less seeing you did 3x3 and rejet already. 

What would the perceived difference be?

Well i feel a 5 HP difference as a clear improvement. Kind of exiting.

2HP makes me think: 'is it really better or am i only hoping so?'

Note that most gains will be at higher revs.

So better for on-road/sm usage.

Improved throttle response will make 'rear wheel steering' on e.g. gravel better.

Edited by jhondius

fcr39 2 hp (response and topend mostly) because the stock header is choking it. With good pipe 4 hp

Improved throttle response will make 'rear wheel steering' on e.g. gravel better.

might aswell get a bigbore in while your at it haha

So the stock head pipe isn't good

What one can I use with the yoshi slip on?

So the e cams and the hot cams stage one are the same?

So best to install the cams and the carb at different time

At does a new one cost ?

The stock head pipe is 38 mm in dia and the E is 41 mm.  If the slip on was sized for the stock head pipe you would have to open it up to fit onto an E head pipe.  When people put the E head pipe on the stock S muffler most will take it to a muffler shop and have it expanded to fit.  I have a lathe so I chose to make my own thin collar out of aluminum to replace the stock carbon/mesh gasket rather than expand the stock muffler.  I don't know about the construction of the Yoshi slip on so I can't comment on whether it would be a good candidate for expanding the opening.  You may want to consider stepping up to a complete pipe/muffler such as the SSW/MRD, it will really work well with the mods you are considering.  Be aware there is an increased noise level with a pipe like that. 

The stock head pipe is 38 mm in dia and the E is 41 mm. If the slip on was sized for the stock head pipe you would have to open it up to fit onto an E head pipe. When people put the E head pipe on the stock S muffler most will take it to a muffler shop and have it expanded to fit. I have a lathe so I chose to make my own thin collar out of aluminum to replace the stock carbon/mesh gasket rather than expand the stock muffler. I don't know about the construction of the Yoshi slip on so I can't comment on whether it would be a good candidate for expanding the opening. You may want to consider stepping up to a complete pipe/muffler such as the SSW/MRD, it will really work well with the mods you are considering. Be aware there is an increased noise level with a pipe like that.

mrd puts out 105db whats yeah loud haha i think most after market headers fit. Can you not measue the slip on ? And go from there i think the fmf powerbomb header fits. But for. £180 just for the header you might aswell go for the mrd at £350 least you have a fresh new pipe! And you can always buy the quite insert from dave for 15$ what dropa it down alot but doesnt comprimise on performance so every body is a winner?