KLX 650R vs. XR 650R

I just picked up a 96' KLX 650R.  It wasn't my first choice, but at $1000 bucks and in great condition and never rebuilt, and already plated for the road, it leaves me some room to build it up a bit. I'm just wondering what I'm missing out on!?  Should I have waited for that "awesome deal" on a XRR? Has anybody ridden the two? What'cha think? I've never ridden the XRR.

dualsport.JPG

I've never ridden a KLX650R, and honestly, I've never even seen one before, it looks like a serious upgrade from the KLR though.

if it's anything like a XRR it should be a heavy tractor, a torque monster that doesn't like to rev to high and be bulletproof reliable, my XRR (not completely stock) will do powerwheelies in the first 3 gears with a gearing that tops out at 100mph on the speedo, I've had it for about seven years now without any issues, only failure have been the stator, but it wasn't the stock unit, it was a rickystator.

I've always loved the look of the Kawi's though, your KLX looks like a early '90's KX (my favourite KX era)

but what's up with that front brakeline? what kind of routing is that?

good buy, they go for $3-4000 over here in nz, they have 48bhp, simular torque to xr650r, front forks are non adjustable std, apparently fairly reliable from what ive heard

I've never ridden a KLX650R, and honestly, I've never even seen one before, it looks like a serious upgrade from the KLR though.

if it's anything like a XRR it should be a heavy tractor, a torque monster that doesn't like to rev to high and be bulletproof reliable, my XRR (not completely stock) will do powerwheelies in the first 3 gears with a gearing that tops out at 100mph on the speedo, I've had it for about seven years now without any issues, only failure have been the stator, but it wasn't the stock unit, it was a rickystator.

I've always loved the look of the Kawi's though, your KLX looks like a early '90's KX (my favourite KX era)

but what's up with that front brakeline? what kind of routing is that?

I know! What is up with that? I haven't had time to do anything to this bike yet, but I will this winter. There's no way I can wheelie this through third, not without a big clutch drop anyway. It does run pretty good and has descent compression. It's a 96. I dig it! I want to get rid of all the purple though.

good buy, they go for $3-4000 over here in nz, they have 48bhp, simular torque to xr650r, front forks are non adjustable std, apparently fairly reliable from what ive heard

3-4K? Wow! Its a great bike so far, but that's about the price of a non-beat uncorked and Baja'd out XRR.  I'm looking into some forks of a KX 450. Hope it pans out!

the hp figure for the klx is at the crank, the xr has the same hp but at the rear wheel

somebody put a klx450r headlight on it !

I know! What is up with that? I haven't had time to do anything to this bike yet, but I will this winter. There's no way I can wheelie this through third, not without a big clutch drop anyway. It does run pretty good and has descent compression. It's a 96. I dig it! I want to get rid of all the purple though.

you should keep the purple! I had a -96 KX125 some years ago, it had the same purple seat and purple shrouds too :ride:  I think it was Kawasakis failed attempt at breaking away from green as their signature color, as far as I know they only released purple on the -96 models.

you should keep the purple! I had a -96 KX125 some years ago, it had the same purple seat and purple shrouds too :ride:  I think it was Kawasakis failed attempt at breaking away from green as their signature color, as far as I know they only released purple on the -96 models.

i had a 95 kx60 also purple seat

Are you guys serious? Keep the purple?  Yer' just screwin' with the newb huh?

Are you guys serious? Keep the purple?  Yer' just screwin' with the newb huh?

nope, I had my KX125 for almost 8 years, kept it purple all those years and I was proud of it!

KawasakiKX1258.jpg

nope, I had my KX125 for almost 8 years, kept it purple all those years and I was proud of it!

couldnt find a purple guard or bark busters? would look so sweet with all purple and a green frame :thumbsup:

I had a purple kdx125sr '91, also liked it as it was  :)

z_697a0c44.jpg

And I like the look of yours as it is now )

Congrads on a good buy  :thumbsup:

Edited by MCVL

the People have spoken, Purple is sexy!

I had a purple kdx125sr '91, also liked it as it was  :)

And I like the look of yours as it is now )

Congrads on a good buy  :thumbsup:

i dont like the pink seat tho, and i prefer the lime green frame over the aqua jmho

tassie jeeper, well, thank you  :lol:

I thought of doing something with that pink seat too, at first I wanted to take it off, put a pillow and ride like that, but it would cut the air off  :)

So EHaynes got a pretty good looking bike, at least the seat is purple )

jesus, you wanna hijack the thread with purple 125's???

i would like to know how the two compare also..

I rode with a retired NE champ woods rider at hatfield McCoy system. He had one of those the klx. I can say it is a heavy machine, a little bit less user friendly, but watched him go through trail 199 as well as some of the tight single track with no problem. I'm partial to Honda and Ktm, but that kaw should be a decent dual sporter if that's what your doing with it. It's no triple jumper but will manage to do what needs to be done with a little finess.

Yes, a little fitness is good, it's too easy to ride exc or crf on singletracks, so I bought xr650r  :)

Didn't have a chance to ride a klx650r myself, but a mate I ride with who had it (kick only, red color O_o) and then got xrr said it's a little better then stock xr650l, especially in suspension and acceleration, a little worse in reliability, but it can't compete with xr650r in power, also he liked the up side down forks so much that he replaced the stock fork to a crf450 fork on xrr and then it was perfect for him )

Oh, and he said he will never buy a kawasaki anymore  :D  it was too difficult for him to take out a carb many times to adjust it (from upside) and some minor things in servicing and maintaining where not user friendly also =)

But he liked it while he had it, so don't give an attention to what other people think if you like it ))

Edited by MCVL

I'm diggin' it so far! Thanks guys.