Sign in to follow this  

clicking noise whilst rolling

Hey guys,

Today whilst moving around the drz in the garage, Ive noticed there is a clicking noise coming from around the front sprocket area. Im running 14/47 sprockets and my chain is tensioned correctly, Ive removed the cover but couldn't find anything abnormal.

Is this noise normal with the drz's to make a clicking noise when rolling?

Edited by TOUGEFC

Hey guys,

Today whilst moving around the drz in the garage, Ive noticed there is a clicking noise coming from around the front sprocket area. Im running 14/47 sprockets and my chain is tensioned correctly, Ive removed the cover but couldn't find anything abnormal.

loctite fix your fs?

Ive only owned the bike for about a month and havnt removed the front sprocket so I don't know if its been locktited. It doesn't appear to be loose

Ive only owned the bike for about a month and havnt removed the front sprocket so I don't know if its been locktited. It doesn't appear to be loose

i dont know i think there has been a tpoic before about this. Ill try find it for you buddy
  • Like 1

Hey guys,

Today whilst moving around the drz in the garage, Ive noticed there is a clicking noise coming from around the front sprocket area. Im running 14/47 sprockets and my chain is tensioned correctly, Ive removed the cover but couldn't find anything abnormal.

no, not normal. there should be very little, if any noise from the chain while rolling slowly. 

normally, if there is any clicking it's because the front (sometimes rear too, but normally front first) cog is worn out, and the teeth hook the chain, only releasing it as it's pulled off by the motion from the rear. an easy way to check is to pull the chain away from the rear cog. if it shows the valley of the tooth, the rear cog is toast, and likely the chain too.

front sprocket, even easier to eye ball - if it looks worn, it is.

sprocket_02.jpg

Ok thanks for the advice. I will check it out for wear when I get home after work tomorrow. Cheers

That noise can also happen when the bearings dry out and degrade in the lower chain roller, as it's always engaged with the chain it can wear out quickly if muck gets in it.

You can replace those bearings with skateboard wheel bearings if needed - no need to buy a new roller.

DSCF8697.jpg

DSCF8696.jpg

DSCF8700.jpg

I bought a pack of 10 cheap bearings from ebay and swap mine out every year or two.

Next time I will try the rubber sealed version rather than metal shielded bearings I bought. I think as standard they are rubber shielded/sealed but I liked the look of the metal ones.

DSCF8702.jpg

Edited by DrzDick

I had that problem. It was hard to isolate the noise. I finally found it was a bad rear wheel bearing. Good luck!

Well this morning before work I had a quick look. The lower chain roller was smooth and quiet when I got down and spun it by hand. I took fs cover off and the fs looked fine. The nut however, I can turn it back and forth very slightly and it makes a bit of a clicking noise. So I assume this is the cause.

Do i remove it add the locktite and just do it back up?

Well this afternoon once I got home I tightened it up a little, now there is no play and no more clicking noise, Im changing the sprocket next week so I will do the locktite fix then.

Thanks for all the tips and advice guys :)