Sign in to follow this  

How many guys on here riding Yamaha IT's?

I've got a street plated 85, love everything but the brakes! A 1986 model with a spare bike just sold on Ebay for over $900. I think I'm holding onto a real gem! It's a 9 outa 10!

I'm looking for one with the front disc, someone point me in the right direction, please. Missed that '86 on  ebay.

i've got a '77 IT250... MX tank (i think), revalved YZ450f forks, yz400 swing arm, 19" front for the street, 21" front for off road, rewound stator so it's 12v AC now...

it's a cheap beater, planning on using it as a bad weather daily driver this year. 

IMG_20130811_151302_616.jpg

IMG_20130421_160835_469.jpg

• Like 1

'85 IT200 w/ 85-86 YZ125 forks and disk. Great bike and surprises a lot of riders in the tight stuff.

I'm looking for one with the front disc, someone point me in the right direction, please. Missed that '86 on  ebay.

Do a nation wide search on craigslist. There is about 10 of them on there the last I looked. You can also buy the front end off a 86 (ebay) and install it on a 84 or 85. They slip right in the triple clamps with no modifacations..

'85 IT200 w/ 85-86 YZ125 forks and disk. Great bike and surprises a lot of riders in the tight stuff.

Just curios on what you set your sag height to being the YZ has two more inch's of travel in the forks so the chassis reacts well??? I have 3 It200's and would not mind putting disk on another one.

Wish they still made them

You and a couple million others.  The IT or the 2t WR's would fill such a nice niche.  Then all these guys, possibly including me, wouldn't have to convert their YZ's for woods use.   We could just go buy one.

You and a couple million others.  The IT or the 2t WR's would fill such a nice niche.  Then all these guys, possibly including me, wouldn't have to convert their YZ's for woods use.   We could just go buy one.

I here you there. I am thinking about buying a newer YZ125 and fitting a IT200 engine into it?? I know you can tame down a YZ250 for woods riding with heavier flywheel etc but the IT/ WR series does fit now days for woods riding where the current crop on Motocross bikes require some work to make them a good woods bike.

If you have a it now I would spend some money on correct springs and valving, besides it would be more fun to smoke em on a vintage bike. I have a modern yz 250 modded,92 wr 250 and my 86 it 200. Raced my it this spring at a vintage enduro and I went alot faster then I thought I could, smaller lighter chassis made throwing it around a breeze. Had a smile I couldn't wipe off my face for days.

If you have a it now I would spend some money on correct springs and valving, besides it would be more fun to smoke em on a vintage bike. I have a modern yz 250 modded,92 wr 250 and my 86 it 200. Raced my it this spring at a vintage enduro and I went alot faster then I thought I could, smaller lighter chassis made throwing it around a breeze. Had a smile I couldn't wipe off my face for days.

So you are saying if the IT is set up properly it is still competitive VS a newer say 96-02 YZ chassis?? I have talked to Race tech about springs for my weight. They said $85. on a rear spring and they did not carry the front spring for my elder 190lb frame. lol They did tell me where to get it though.

Saying the suspension set up for weight and etc could help alot, going to take lots of mods time and money to do that conversion and have to respring for your weight also. Sure the newer suspension would be nicer but is there enough difference at the end of the day to be worth it ? Besides the fun factor of smoking a newer bike with a antique. ... just my 2 cents.

I had a 1983 IT 175 that I sold this summer. I really liked the engine. The rest of the bike felt very dated. It is a shame the IT line got dropped. The picture is of me without the league approve ridding gear. ( I know, I know! All the gear all the time!) I had finally got it running and couldn't help myself. 

Dear Yamaha,

If you are listening? Please make a modern version of this bike.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

MGBGT

DSC_0015.JPG

DSC_0020.JPG

Yes simple ez to use and repair would be great. The 175 suspension isn't as good as the 200, raced both new in there day, bigger forks and better shock on the 200s. With todays advances in fork and shock knowledge I'm sure the 175 could work well also. I have modern but love my 200.

Have both 1984 IT490 & 1984 IT200.  Bought them in 1985.  Still had all my tools for monoshocks, disassembled rear shock and added a 1" rubber spacer.  Turned a new ring on shock for circlip, that dropped rear.  Disassembled front forks, changed spacers on springs and "top off".  Wife loves it, much better than a ttr125, she says foot pegs sit right, knees aren't buckled.  200 is a bullet proof engine.  Yes she's altitude impaired and platform MX boots just don't cut it.  490 just sits, as I run a newer YZ thumper.

Saying the suspension set up for weight and etc could help alot, going to take lots of mods time and money to do that conversion and have to respring for your weight also. Sure the newer suspension would be nicer but is there enough difference at the end of the day to be worth it ? Besides the fun factor of smoking a newer bike with a antique. ... just my 2 cents.

After thinking about what you said. I am just going to re-spring my It200. See about a 84 YZ125 shock as it has adjustable damping and compression if it will fit, Install a set of race tech valves in the forks and run it. It would be a lot less work and cheaper than buying another bike and convert the IT engine into. And like you said. Smokem on a old machine has to get there goat. LOL. Beside. Up north this summer every one was just in awe that they are still going and just about every one had a story to tell about them.

86 It200 #3 .jpg

Edited by Zrt1200