Sign in to follow this  

2007 vs 2006

How substantial were the changes between 06 and 07?

I have an opportunity to buy either and wondered how much more should I be willing to pay for the newer model.

07 - more hours and $2300.  2006 fewer hours and $2000.

TIA

Thanks Whiskeyjack and ramz.

I bought the 2007.   It only had 50 hours and everything was in good repair.  Starts easily both electric and kick.  It was bone stock except the PO had removed the exhaust baffle and replaced the red plastic with black and covered it all with monster stickers.  It looked good like that but I like the Honda red so an hour later and it's completely back to stock -  including the exhaust.

The good - came with a nice skidplate.  The bad - the headpipe is dented beyond repair.  I haven't checked the pink wire, but I'm betting it's intact.  Looks like I'm in for the CCC mods and a headpipe.  IIRC, isn't the 05 and before R model headpipe recommended anyway?  The forks were a little crazy - compression was dialed to only 6 clicks out and the forks are noticeably twisted.  Haven't checked the rebound settings yet.  That'll all be corrected tomorrow.

Thanks again for the help.

.   isn't the 05 and before R model headpipe recommended anyway?

Not unless you are willing to trade the excellent low end torque/throttle response for a lazy low end and higher output at the upper rpm range.

Nah, not willing to take that hit.  Might try the old headpipe in the freezer trick to see if I can pop those dents out.  Worked like a charm on my KLX300.

Might try the old headpipe in the freezer trick to see if I can pop those dents out

Maybe its old, but apperantly not worldwide spread...

can you tell what and how?

Active - what you do is remove the headpipe.  Then you put enough water inside it to cover the dented area.  Obviously turn it with the curve downward to hold the water. Put it in the freezer for 3-4 hours and let the water freeze inside.  The expansion of the ice will push your dents out.

No need to plug the ends of the pipe or anything.  Because ice freezes from the top down - it forms it's own plugs.  Apparently that frozen ice/metal interface will hold hundreds of psi.  Once the endpoints have been formed - goodbye dents.  I had to do it twice on my KLX pipe.  The first freeze took out 80-90 percent of the dent and the second freeze took the remainder.

When I do it to my own pipe I'll take some pics.

Active - what you do is remove the headpipe.  Then you put enough water inside it to cover the dented area.  Obviously turn it with the curve downward to hold the water. Put it in the freezer for 3-4 hours and let the water freeze inside.  The expansion of the ice will push your dents out.

cool! thanks!