Sign in to follow this  

CRF250R Is it too big, and questions about bog

Hi, this is my first post, sorry if I'm in the wrong section.  Still getting used to things around here!

Anyways, I'm 13 years old, 5'11 (and 3/4th's) and with riding boots on i'm 6'1.  I weigh 130 pounds, so I'm pretty light.  I don't know if the CRF250R is too big for me.

I plan to do trail riding, maybe track once or twice.  I'm riding a CRF100F, and my parents think I should get the CRF150F.  It's heavier than a 450, and the engine seems far too small.  I want to get a bike that I will have for a while.  I'm not very mechanically gifted, but I can learn the maintenance stuff.

I'm seeing alot of used 250's on craigslist that are in pretty good condition.  I have around $2900 saved up, so i'm looking at a bike that is around the $2000-$2500 range.

I have read about the bikes before 2008 having bog issues, which can be fixed with different jetting or something like the R&D power bowl.

Edited by J. D

Before I looked at a crf250r or ANY 250f for that matter I would look for a 125 2t. I have owned both and worked on both, even working at a friends shop and being in my schools engineering program I still don't like working on the 4 strokes, and the 250f is the highest maintenance bike out there. Not only do they require a large amount of work but they're expensive to maintain. The 125 is the complete opposite and you could get a very nice one for under 2500. Even changing a piston is something anybody could do on one. Also if you learn to ride a 125 to its full potential, you will be a much better skilled rider in the long run. I'm a smaller guy as well, 5'10" barefoot and 145lbs and I prefer the 125 also because of the ultra low weight. Just my $.02

I've looked into two strokes, and I really think they're good bikes.  If I myself could make the choice and get one, then I probably would, unfortunately my parents absolutely hate 2t's, so I can't.  I also hear the low end power is not very good.  The more I look the more the 250r sounds like a good bike.  I've seen countless threads with people saying the 250r is a great trailbike.

-- EDIT --

CRF250R definately looks far more expensive.  I'm not too worried on the difficulty of maintenance, and I won't be doing any super hard riding.

Edited by J. D

I wish your parents liked 2 strokes because i am currently 15 turning 16 in a little while and i ride a 300 2 smoker! And i started on a CRF150 at round 11 years old and i am 5'10 135-140 lbs. 250fs are nice bikesbut you will have a lot of maintenance, and i was never into 4 stroke money holes !! Only 4 stroke id consider getting would be trail oriented bikes 450f and up! I'd say 125 like the other guy but your parents hate them. Why is that!?

Your parents won't hate them when you have to pay for a rebuild, something that would require a shops work.

Your parents won't hate them when you have to pay for a rebuild, something that would require a shops work.

why? Because you know his dad and he can't rebuild it himself? 2t people need to get off the omg is so hard and expensive to rebuild... Use a book and a little elbow grease and it can be done, not rebuilding the lunar module....

My advice go to a dealership and sit on them, what feels comfortable, what feels to heavy if it were to lay down on you ect best way to know not listening to the people on here

Edited by Jem450R

I'm going to try to go to the dealer in the next few days and sit on one.  Anyone know how the 125 does on trails?

I'm going to try to go to the dealer in the next few days and sit on one. Anyone know how the 125 does on trails?

Better, lighter, I race harescrambles on mine, just gear it right, I run a 13/50 which is a bit short for the track but the trails are great.

why? Because you know his dad and he can't rebuild it himself? 2t people need to get off the omg is so hard and expensive to rebuild... Use a book and a little elbow grease and it can be done, not rebuilding the lunar module....My advice go to a dealership and sit on them, what feels comfortable, what feels to heavy if it were to lay down on you ect best way to know not listening to the people on here

I didn't mean to come on that way, basically they're more work, more expensive to maintain, and unless you're racing and just need the tiny advantage of a 4t its not worth it. At least with 125/250f bikes. I have done work on 4 strokes, on my personal kx250f. Most people that ride a 250f and 125 find the 125 to be more fun if that matters at all..

It looks like i'll be getting the 250, the 125 isn't an option anymore :(

Any tips for making the 250 a trail bike?  I plan on getting one of those carbs, can't quite remember the name, that stops the bog ( if there is any )

So far i've got written down

Hand guards

Skid plate for bottom of engine

Engine ICE so it doesn't overheat while going through tight trails

Spark plugs incase I foul a few.

Edited by J. D

Any tips for making the 250 a trail bike

Buy a   CRF 250X , it is already better set up for trails   e.g.   electric start , bigger tank , reserve fuel tap, sidestand, lights , road legal , wide ratio box,18" rear wheel .

Edited by bob-c

i have a crf250r which i use for trails

nice bike, love the low end power

get a 1.8 bar radiator cap to keep it from boiling

valve the suspension for ur weight

Buy a   CRF 250X , it is already better set up for trails   e.g.   electric start , bigger tank , reserve fuel tap, sidestand, lights , road legal , wide ratio box,18" rear wheel .

or do this, i only got the r coz i bought it for next to nothing and had to rebuild everything

Anyone know about the bog issues?  I've read a few people saying the boysen carb, or whatever it is will fix the bog.  I know it's only a few people who have the issue, though.

It looks like i'll be getting the 250, the 125 isn't an option anymore :(

Any tips for making the 250 a trail bike?  I plan on getting one of those carbs, can't quite remember the name, that stops the bog ( if there is any )

So far i've got written down

Hand guards

Skid plate for bottom of engine

Engine ICE so it doesn't overheat while going through tight trails

Spark plugs incase I foul a few.

No need for extra spark plugs on a 4stk. If you foul a plug there is a much bigger problem.

No need for extra spark plugs on a 4stk. If you foul a plug there is a much bigger problem.

Oh, okay.  Cool.

You can *almost* completely cure the bog with proper jetting selection, and a smaller leak jet. Do a search on the leak jet. Some will recommend something in the 55-60 range. The smaller the number, the richer/longer the accelerator pump squirt is to help cover the initial bog/lean condition that results from cracking the throttle open quickly. There is also an AP mod that you can search that applies to some bikes. Just check to see if the AP mod applies to the year bike that you are getting.

Several people have tried to warn you about "maintenance" and you seem to want to ignore them. Experience is a harsh teacher my friend.

You can *almost* completely cure the bog with proper jetting selection, and a smaller leak jet. Do a search on the leak jet. Some will recommend something in the 55-60 range. The smaller the number, the richer/longer the accelerator pump squirt is to help cover the initial bog/lean condition that results from cracking the throttle open quickly. There is also an AP mod that you can search that applies to some bikes. Just check to see if the AP mod applies to the year bike that you are getting.

Several people have tried to warn you about "maintenance" and you seem to want to ignore them. Experience is a harsh teacher my friend.

Yeah, I've done the jetting on bikes before, and I assume it wouldn't be any different on the 250.  I'm really not worried about the maintenance.  I'd rather to learn how to do it on a 4t, since that's what I'd mostly be riding.  I've seen a lot of people who have found fixes for the valve issues, also.

Holy crap, I just did some comparing of costs for a rebuild on a 2t vs a 4t engine.  In some cases it's a 2K difference!  That's going to be changing my mind...

Edited by J. D
  • Like 1

Holy crap, I just did some comparing of costs for a rebuild on a 2t vs a 4t engine.  In some cases it's a 2K difference!  That's going to be changing my mind...

I see the penny has dropped,

I have both , a Yamaha DT200 2 stroke (see avatar) and a 2004 crf250r . I use the DT a hell of a lot as it will go for years without a major rebuild , just minor maintenance, oil the  filter and chain etc every week . Starts no problem . The Honda is a powerful bike starts well if you follow procedure but I am well aware that every ride is costing a lot , I got the CRF as a gift but otherwise would never buy a 4 stroke , but would love a 300 2 stroke  trail bike .