2012 Cam options ?

What cam options do owners have with 2012 WR450s ?  I'm looking to keep or enhance the low end and wake up the upper end.   It would also be nice if the engine reved up a bit faster.

Can the stock exhaust cam be retarded like on the earlier bikes ?

Do 09 YZ cam(s) fit and if so, what benefit do they each yield ?

Thanks !

If the older cams fit then you will find lots of debate around this. do a quick search for yz cam in the WR thread and start doing research. 

Most of those debates revolve around doing this with older bikes.   How has it changed for the 2012s ?   

I don't see Yamaha mention anything about engine changes for the 2012s other than EFI.   Is one to assume the 2012s use the same cam setup as earlier bikes ?     If so, would retarding the exhaust cam yield the same benefit on a 2012 as say a 2007 ?

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

Hi I got the 2006 OEM YFZ intake CAM and put the "modded WR FI map on.  HUGE Difference in power and feel all i can say my bike feels retarded now had to keep it on 2 wheels

if you want more info write the ower of bestduelsportbikes he know a crap load about this cam and bikes and a very cool guy to chat to

Hi I got the 2006 OEM YFZ intake CAM and put the "modded WR FI map on.  HUGE Difference in power and feel all i can say my bike feels retarded now had to keep it on 2 wheels

if you want more info write the ower of bestduelsportbikes he know a crap load about this cam and bikes and a very cool guy to chat to

I put Best Dual Sports cam in my bike and have to say I was not impressed. First off, if it is a 2006 YZ-F cam direct from Yamaha then BDS is ripping folks off. He charged me $260 for a cam that I could have gotten from Yamaha for $130. He stated he buys blanks from Yamaha and gets them custom ground....I had my doubts but trusted what he was telling me.

Now for the power characteristics: If you completely dislike the way your bike produces power you may like this cam. For me it took waaaayyyy too much off the bottom and didn't add anything substantial to the mid or topend at all....lose lose. I puilled the cam out after two rides.

After sales customer support was non-existent as well.

Edited by JDLowrance

You put the YFZ  intake cam in a stock 2012+ WR engine ?

Can you detune it (a bit) for better controllability ?

Why didn't you do the exhaust cam as well ?  (Starting issues ?)

What happened to the bottom end power/ torque ?  Will it still tractor around in 1st gear ?

Thanks !

Edited by MidlifeCrisisGuy

i had a reputable shop degree my stock cams, he said there is no reason to spend the money on the GYTR cams because the lift is just about the same and he was able to get an additional 6hp and a much wider torque curve than stock.

bike runs like a YZ now making about 53 hp