Sign in to follow this  

Best Home Made Seal Driver XR400?

I have stock forks. I want to make my next job last. I'm replacing both bushings and trying a different oil seal.

I'm seeing that the interior dimensions of schedule 200 1.5 inch PVC pipe is the closest fit (while still being larger) than any other PVC pipe I can identify.

Am I correct that the slider diameter is 43mm? Any better suggestions? Thanks.

FYI when you hammer on the seal, you hammer on the outside of it, so you want to measure the seal outside diameter

The inside of the seal is very sensitive and should not be hammered on.

Hint: If you cut the old seal in half, and get a small rubber mallet, you can use it to hammer the new seal in. Just hammer lightly around in a circle trying to keep the seal relatively flat. It's easier if you remove a little bit of the inside part with a knife so it doesnt hang up as much. If the seal is set kind of deeply, you can even stack 2 seals

Edited by mudguy

Thank you for the input. I have used an old seal as a buffer in the past. I'm just tired of bad seals on the bike.

Honestly, if you do this a lot, just buy a universal seal driver for $50.

I've had pretty good luck with aftermarket seals. Honda seals aren't special.

Usually dirt wrecks the seal, it isn't really a quality issue.

And use Honda seals, much better than most of the aftermarket stuff.

I'm with Chuck concerning Honda. Considering seal life and especially stiction, I don't think anything else can match the quality. My tuner installed SKF in my Showas at my last revalve and I see no improvement over the OEM. I will be happy if they last as long as my OEM stuff.

I'm with Chuck concerning Honda. Considering seal life and especially stiction, I don't think anything else can match the quality. My tuner installed SKF in my Showas at my last revalve and I see no improvement over the OEM. I will be happy if they last as long as my OEM stuff.

What kind of difference were you expecting?

I have stock forks. I want to make my next job last. I'm replacing both bushings and trying a different oil seal.

I'm seeing that the interior dimensions of schedule 200 1.5 inch PVC pipe is the closest fit (while still being larger) than any other PVC pipe I can identify.

Am I correct that the slider diameter is 43mm? Any better suggestions? Thanks.

I have used PVC pipe in the past. I cut it in half length wise and use the old seal as a buffer. But you can not beat Motion pros seal drivers.