Sign in to follow this  

two stroke Freeride

Unreal idea for fans of trail riding (in mountains). And especially for girls!

Very cool idea, but a small gas tank (1.8 gallons) might not be enough.  Granted it is a low rpm engine design so the "miles per tank" might still be in the 45 mile range, otherwise that's going to be a problem, and too bad they didn't go with oil injection.  IMHO a bigger gas tank and oil injection (easier gas station fill ups) would have made the demand for this bike off the charts!  Heck, I'd like to get a ride on one now, maybe I could forgive the short comings if the basic package is good enough (and it does look good!).

judging from the pipe dimensions it's going to be trials motor tuned,   pop pop pop pop,     Like slacknhard said in another thread"   an orange pampera.   A friend just bought the ossa explorer so he wasn't too impress with the 205 lbs.

I'd love to have one, can think of all kinds of places it'd work great for me. But already doing those trails on a full enduro bike so...this would just be a luxury.

Edited by highmarker

No kickstarter. Thats a non starter for me-no pun intended

• Like 1

No kickstarter. Thats a non starter for me-no pun intended

why? the 2stroke ktm estart has proved to be soooo reliable  :rolleyes:

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 1

While this bike may not appeal to many of us here I think there is one very notable point with the bike. That being innovation. KTM definitely went outside the box with this machine. That's something that appears to be more and more rare with off road bikes anymore. Not many of the manufacturers are innovating they are just refining their machines. I will say that Honda and Yamaha are putting an effort towards innovation with their new models.

I'm willing to bet this little bike is unstoppable on the goat trails. Also if they offer the bike in the states I will be taking a hard look at it as my wife's next bike.

• Like 1

note their sneaking some aluminum into the frame :jawdrop:

Really good point! Never thought I'd see the day. I wonder if KTM will ever incorporate the aluminum frames into their big bikes.

Really good point! Never thought I'd see the day. I wonder if KTM will ever incorporate the aluminum frames into their big bikes.

also note it is a perimeter design,  the horror !       and with stainless steel elements !! (ie bmw's oft criticized 450)

and with a headpipe that is up out of harms way   !!,    holy fourstroke batman !!

I want one.

Edited by highmarker
  • Like 1

also note it is a perimeter design, the horror ! and with stainless steel elements !! (ie bmw's oft criticized 450)

and with a headpipe that is up out of harms way !!, holy fourstroke batman !!

I want one.

I would strategically buy it for my "wife". I've already got two KTM's in the garage. She'd have my head if another appeared.

• Like 1

First off... the freeride has been around for years. The concept was an electric go anywhere bike.

They added a 4 stroke (350) motor last year, in order to change the demographic slightly. Now they're adding a 2 stroke motor, which is all well and good, but it defeats the purpose of the bike. Its not suppose to compete with KTM's other machines, its suppose to be its own thing, which is why the electric version was so hot, because it IS its own thing.

Sometimes I wonder if the freeride is just a development bed for future designs, to prove they work before implementing them on other machines. When I heard about the freeride 2 stroke, I was preying it would be their first direct injection machine. Maybe next year? :shrug:

I think the real deal here is that the chassis was done thanks to the "E" version and KTM just decided "why not" and dropped the 350 and the 250 motor in it just to gauge buyer acceptance.  This is also why the gas tanks are so small (unrealistic in my opinion), because they did as much as they could to use as many parts off of the original Freeride "E" bike.  In the end it's a great concept and idea, maybe in a few years they'll bring it to the USA, but they better have a bigger gas tank because most of us ride in remote areas ~ not our back yards.

Personally, I blame the small gas tanks on the factory insisting that the same plastic injected rear sub be used on all of the bikes (the parts are cheap but the molds are not).  I'd still like to get the 250, I just need to learn how to carry an extra gallon of gas.

Edited by zig06

Love the idea,and the weight. I would need a bigger tank,and a kickstart...   $9000? Not so much...

Love the idea,and the weight. I would need a bigger tank,and a kickstart...   $9000? Not so much...

But also never coming to the US. ;)

But also never coming to the US. ;)

Never say never, it may not come over as a Freeride but as another line. 

I wonder if the perimeter frame will give KTM the room to make the bike more compact.  As it is right now their seat height is already an inch or two higher than everyone else (well ... from Japan), us vertically impaired riders like to point out that you can always get a taller seat and handle bar setup, but even with my lowered suspension and short seat my XC-w is still taller than my '08 RM250.

Never say never, it may not come over as a Freeride but as another line. 

I wonder if the perimeter frame will give KTM the room to make the bike more compact.

Ohh I agree that the freeride is absolutely a test bed for an all new-ligher, more ridged frame. Its an exciting prospect for KTM because without the down tube, the bikes will be easier to work on. ;)

However, the freeride itself, especially the E freeride (which is what I'd buy), its never going to appear in this country because they wouldn't sell any. As an experiment, KTM brought over the Duke 690 and once the early birds bought theirs, now dealers are sitting on inventory they can't push. KTM will never be a street bike company in the US and the whole point of the freeride is an urban street bike.