The "choke" lever turns itself off - any ideas?

On my 2001 XR650L, if I set the "choke" lever to full on or half on, it stays at that position.  With the 1994 (which actually says "choke" on the lever) once the engine has started, the lever moves to the off position by itself within about 10 seconds.  The bike is rather cold blooded, so I end up riding while holding that lever with my left index finger, which is kind of awkward at slow speeds when I need to use the clutch.

I'm hoping that maybe one of you has run into this issue before and has a nice solution.  If not, I'll figure out something and report back.  The only thing I've checked so far is that the 10mm bolt that goes through the middle is definitely tight.  I might have to come up with some shims or something.

i have a 2002 XRL, so i don't know about the '94. But it seems that you should be able to remove the bolt and insert a washer thick enough to cause a little drag on the choke lever. 

i have a 2002 XRL, so i don't know about the '94.

Other than the white lettering, there is no difference in looks between the lever for the 1994 and the 2001.

Other than the white lettering, there is no difference in looks between the lever for the 1994 and the 2001.

yeah, I had a '93 xr650l, but don't remember the particulars. Have you checked the service manual for the adjustment procedure? 

Have you checked the ball and plate under the lever? The spring under the ball could have rusted and broke.

Edited by Onederer

Yeah the spring actually makes the choke go in the closed position, so if it is falling to the open position its probably the spring is broken.

Have you checked the ball and plate under the lever? The spring under the ball could have rusted and broke.

+1  I have revived these types of "notch stops" before, some just by taking them apart/cleaning them/re-lubing, others by putting in a stronger spring under the ball, others by making the "socket" a bit more prevalent. (<-a little bit goes a long way, so be careful)

I finally took the choke lever apart.  Everything seemed just fine.  The little ball had proper spring pressure, but wouldn't fall out by itself (a good thing).  The little plate underneath the lever with the holes to line up with that ball was in good shape.

So I put another washer on top of it and tightened things down until I had the tension that I wanted.

I need to wait until tomorrow with a cold bike to verify that it stays at the position that I want, though.  If not, I can easily adjust the tension now.

I remember guys talking about this problem but didn't bother to read what they did since it didn't apply to me.  (doh)

Now it does!  My Mikuni TM40 pulls it's "plunger type" choke lever open when it gets to 1/2 way, so stays full closed to start, but when I move it to the 1/2 open position to continue warming up, the plunger gets sucked down to open unless I hold it with my hand. Problem is the bike isn't ready to run without choke and dies if I don't hold it out for another 20 seconds or so. 

?

MindBlower, your story makes me wonder why some people want to swap the XR650L lever for a plunger.  I'm not sure how you would fix that to stay in place.  The lever was easy after adding a washer to stiffen it up a bit.

MindBlower, your story makes me wonder why some people want to swap the XR650L lever for a plunger.  I'm not sure how you would fix that to stay in place.  The lever was easy after adding a washer to stiffen it up a bit.

there's a fix, or an adjustment on this type as well. Just have to find it. LOL