Why is a ttr125L a girl/kids bike?

I'm very new to dirt biking but I want to ride technical trails, with uphills, wet roots, loose rocks etc. On forest roads as well which is why a pure trials bike is not great for me.

The key factor is light weight since I want to be able to maneuver the bike around stuff. I have no desire to go fast.

I'm 5'8" 150lbs

The ttr125L seems perfect because its a 4-stroke for the slow stuff and is the lightest of the small trail bikes. 

Its obvious that I won't be able to ride every trail I try and I have absolutely no desire to push/pull around a 250lb+ bike. Especially if its on an uphill!

Everything I hear or read says the ttr125 is a girls/kids bike that isn't suitable for an adult male though

So my question is where will I notice a problem with it? I just can't see wanting more power on technical trails where I'll just spin and I absolutely do not want anything heavy. Maybe I am missing something here though?

They are very under powered and very soft suspension. Their arn "as" tunable suspension wise and when you skill increases even after a few rides you'll be wanting more. I weigh about the same as you and the tt would be god awful boring for me unless I was put putting around in the pits. I would look for a yz or cr t stroke, or at least a 200 honda four stroke for even mild trails. They are for like you sad beginners, learners. 

I wouldn't reccomend it. The suspension is far too soft and the bike is too slow. After a few rides, you'll want more power. I'd reccomend an 85-100cc 2 stroke or klx140L. The 85s are really light and have the suspension that would work fine for slower riders your size. KTM, Kawasaki, Suzuki, and Yamaha offer these bikes, but Kawasaki also offers a 100. The KLX140L Is a great starter bike as well. Very easy to ride in stock form and it has electric start, as well as disc brakes front and rear. The only downer is that it's pretty heavy, well, for a mini, and the shock is worlds better than the forks. They weigh over 205lbs dry, while an 85-100 will be much lighter, but have a difficult powerband for beginner riders. Easy to handle once you get the hang of things.

Thanks for all the input. So to sum up it is too slow and the suspension is too soft once I try and ride it fast. But as long as I ride like the old man I am, maybe I'll be fine!

I like the idea of a light 2-stroke 85-100 if you guys say the suspension will work. As mentioned above the powerband is off for trail riding or something though.

Does that mean I'll be reving it all the time and working the clutch like crazy on slow technical trails? 

Thanks for all the input. So to sum up it is too slow and the suspension is too soft once I try and ride it fast. But as long as I ride like the old man I am, maybe I'll be fine!

I like the idea of a light 2-stroke 85-100 if you guys say the suspension will work. As mentioned above the powerband is off for trail riding or something though.

Does that mean I'll be reving it all the time and working the clutch like crazy on slow technical trails? 

The TTR will prolly do what you want it to quite well. Like I said get that skid plate, it does more than take a beating, it holds the whole chassis together. 

Then again, the KX100 is a great offroad bike with lots of aftermarket accessories to personalize it. A flywheel weight greatly helps some folks.

I'm very new to dirt biking but I want to ride technical trails, with uphills, wet roots, loose rocks etc. On forest roads as well which is why a pure trials bike is not great for me.

The key factor is light weight since I want to be able to maneuver the bike around stuff. I have no desire to go fast.

I'm 5'8" 150lbs

The ttr125L seems perfect because its a 4-stroke for the slow stuff and is the lightest of the small trail bikes.

Its obvious that I won't be able to ride every trail I try and I have absolutely no desire to push/pull around a 250lb+ bike. Especially if its on an uphill!

Everything I hear or read says the ttr125 is a girls/kids bike that isn't suitable for an adult male though

So my question is where will I notice a problem with it? I just can't see wanting more power on technical trails where I'll just spin and I absolutely do not want anything heavy. Maybe I am missing something here though?

The klx 140l is probably your best bet. If your a beginner, your not gonna want a powerful two stroke right away. My friend has a ttr125l and its a great bike for the trails too. However he is not as big as you, so you might want to consider the 140. Also a 2 stroke requires a lot of maintenance, or else you can blow your engine which can cost alot of money.but if you can't find a 140 look towards a 150.

the ttr125 is a great starter bike.  It is a little tractor and can easily get over technical sections and climbs.  It's super reliable and easy to maintain. You will probably realize after a few rides that is is too small for you, which is why its considered a girls bike.  If you can get one cheap it might make a really fun learning bike for you.  But then you might want to look at something a little larger, and probably with more power, for next season.   

If you want a mini here's a good one. Just add a BB and your set. However I would look into a CRF150rb if going a mini route and add some small mods. Otherwise get a WR, CRF, TTR 230-250cc which would be much more fun in a month or so. Service Honda also has a 250x motor in the 150rb frame along with other killer bikes.

http://www.servicehonda.com/2010-models48/honda34/junior-100-y25

Hmmm.. I recently got the girlfriend into riding with me ? She really is the perfect girl. I bought her a ttr 125e and Ended giving that to her brother, I found a sick deal on an 07 ttrle and paid 400 for it. The lady thought it was an 85.. oh well! Its almost brand new looking except where she has laid it over. Any ways.. that bike is even fun for me to ride, I enjoy it, can wheelie it, hill climb (not huge but big enough for oklahoma) and it stupid easy to work on. had to put a new cylinder on her old one. She has taken it to my bddies track but didnt like it to much dont blame her since jumps still scare her.. but the trails seems great! It is very under powered compaired to a 125 two stroke. But this bike is the biggest she can fit tippy toed so thats what we went with. she is 5'0. 100# If your not wanting to do anything to crazy, and thats what you can afford, that should be fine. Riding is riding in my oppinion. I have just as much fun on her bike as I do mine!

I'm very new to dirt biking but I want to ride technical trails, with uphills, wet roots, loose rocks etc.

A TTR-125 is either a good young persons bike (12-14 years old) or a mediocre pit bike for a grown man (mediocre, because real pit bikes have auto clutches)   ---  A WR250/CRF250X  is what you want , or possibly a KDX 200 or KTM 200,  A lot of people prefer the KTM 150 XC version too.   I don't understand why you would think a bigger bike would just spin its wheels.

If a bike with a full seat height is intimidating right now, then a CRF/TTR 230 would be a decent starting point until you get the hang of it ,   but the bikes I mentioned above are tailor made for the conditions you describe, and larger wheels roll over rocks, ruts and roots better than smaller wheels

A ttr 125l was my first bike & I got bored of it in 2 months & got an rm100.  The suspension sucks on the ttr & you'll feel every little bump.  Being on a two stroke race bike is a much easier ride. The rm/kx100 has more low end than the 80/85 & bigger wheels than the standard 80, making it easier in trails.

& if you choose the ttr & get bored of it, I realized it's difficult to sell unless you want to sell it for half the price you bought it for.

So after all things considered I got a ttr125le that has all the bbr upgrades except the big bore kit. Quite a few rides so far on it and it gets through all the trails I can handle. I've seen heavier bikes get dumped over but when mine tips I can easily manhandle it, so I'm happy about that.

I really considered the other options but the 200cc+ four strokes suggested were way too heavy and the little two strokes were light but have a bad powerband for the super tight stuff around here. I couldn't find a decent klx140.

Thanks everyone though!!