Sign in to follow this  

basic adjustments to stiffen low initaial fork travel?

My forks are a little soft in initial travel but good after the first few inches. They might be a tad quick on rebound. What do I do?

I am 190lbs and a well seasoned rider but ride a LOT of street and not aggressively off road.

I am getting a little more bouncing initially on the street, almost like every little ripple makes the forks compress and the rebound seems too quick.

Edited by KevinsXR

Assuming your springs are the right rate for your weight,

First, you need to be sure you have the proper rear sag set.

Then, the easiest thing is to turn the compression clickers ( bottom of the fork) IN a few turns at a time and test ride. To slow down rebound you would go IN on the fork cap clickers. You're going to have to experiment. You're going to have to compromise on settings, as perfect road settings aren't going to be perfect trail settings.

You could add some spring preload.

Another thing you could do but involves more work is to increase the wt. fork oil it has in it. So if it has 5 wt, go to a 7.5 wt.

Edited by Trailryder42

Increasing the wt. of the oil will not raise the forks under a weight load. Only a stiffer spring or more preload will do that.

No, but it will slow down the compression and rebound at the same given clicker settings and shift the whole range of their effect.

What diameter of PVC would I use for preload spacers? and about how long to start off? Stock springs and when the caps are off they are level with the top of the fork tube, not above it.

Edited by KevinsXR

I have herd of people using pvc but i would be a little worried about coil stack when it bottoms out . I dont know how close it gets.

This is mostly just a mathematical guess.

So stock springs are .40kg/mm, 20 pounds extra weight or so = 9kg, half of the weight is on the front wheel so 4.5 kg, 4.5kg / .40 = 11mm

Spring rates aren't linear, they are exponential, so 11mm is the upper limit, start there.

I have herd of people using pvc but i would be a little worried about coil stack when it bottoms out . I dont know how close it gets.

I have used it for 35 years and never had a problem.

I've had several XR250s. One I bought stiffer fork springs, worked well. All the others I just cut some PVC for a preload spacer, worked fine.

I'm 210lbs, races all the XRs in Enduro, Desert and Cross Country - expert level

XR250s are great bikes

This is mostly just a mathematical guess.

So stock springs are .40kg/mm, 20 pounds extra weight or so = 9kg, half of the weight is on the front wheel so 4.5 kg, 4.5kg / .40 = 11mm

Spring rates aren't linear, they are exponential, so 11mm is the upper limit, start there.

11mm in length? And what diameter PVC will fit in the fork tube?