Blew new seal in rear shock?

Sharing which bike you are talking about will give us more info on the shock you have.

If it is not an emulsion shock meaning it has a reservoir then you cannot put too much fluid in unless you collapse the bladder or run the reservoir piston to low.

Did you use a bullet to protect the seal when sliding it on the shaft?

Is the seal in backwards?

Yes you are correct, many have smaller threaded area.

The seal still has to go over a sharp edge and needs to be protected there as well. Some shocks are very sharp at this juncture and may well damage the seal when sliding the seal head onto the shaft.

The fact that the shock started leaking after you hit a small jump is little indication of cause.

If the seal is installed from the piston end of the rod, there's really no need for using a seal bullet.  The threads are 12mm, 4mm smaller than the 16mm shaft, and because the lips of the seal face upward, they trail over the threads and the top edge of the shaft, rather than leading and digging at the edge as they would if slipped on from the clevis end.  That and the fact that the seal has no hard plastic or metal shell makes it fairly difficult to damage during assembly.

If the seal is installed from the piston end of the rod, there's really no need for using a seal bullet.  The threads are 12mm, 4mm smaller than the 16mm shaft, and because the lips of the seal face upward, they trail over the threads and the top edge of the shaft, rather than leading and digging at the edge as they would if slipped on from the clevis end.  That and the fact that the seal has no hard plastic or metal shell makes it fairly difficult to damage during assembly.

So if this is the case then what else could have caused it to blow? Im gonna do a thorough inspection when I replace it.

The bushing in the seal head may be loose enough to cause trouble, but here again, the KYB seal is pretty tolerant of play in the shaft for a shock seal.  Dirt or a stray bit of metal debris in the seal pocket, possibly. 

Do you recall if the bladder was its original "tall dome" shape, or did the sides have 4 big "pleats" in it? 

If it was "pleated" or "puckered", did you fill it with 5 psi of air before filling the shock?

Greyracer,

I respect your opinion and you are definitely more experienced than I.

That being said I personally would not be comfortable without a bullet.

Without the bullet I would as a DIYer,

File the edge of the shock shaft to round the sharp edge. Granted some sharper than others and or

Assemble the seal head after the seal is on the shaft so I could ease the seal on the shaft by hand.

That being said you could be completely right as the shaft could have some damage or something else could be involved. 

Not being there at the time of assembly makes a great guessing game though.

• 1 month later...