Sign in to follow this  

New Rider looking for some advice

First off long time reader first time poster.

I have a 2000 Yz 125. Athena head ( not big bore) completely rebuilt motor new crank, piston, ring, bearings and seals. PC pipe and shorty. The bike runs mint and has tons of power. Plus I have new tires and a bunch of other things.

Ok my question. I am 29 years old and have only rode 14 times. I only ride tracks. I am at the point where I can get around the track pretty good and I am just starting to get some air. I havent hit any doubles yet but I think soon I think I can. I can hit step ups and ski jumps no problem. I ride with a former cmrc racing who has been alot of help. Out of the 4 people I ride with I am always out there he longest I just want to keep going and going.

I know I am all over the place.

My question is am I progressing to slow or am I on a good pace. I am not looking to be a competitive rider I just want to hold my own and not be in the way.

I always have fun when I ride my gums dry out from smiling to much.

I included a picture of my bike which I love

1377736292836.jpg

nice bike !, you should ask your riding buddies to tell you honestly what they think... we cant have an idea without actually seeing you on the track... 

I understand. And thank you.

I just wasnt sure if I should be able to hot doubles after 14 rides under my belt. I had no previous bike riding experience. I kinda just bout it dumped alot of money into ot and said ok time to ride.

Because you are fresh, Practice good habits like always having a finger on the clutch and break levers, standing more often than sitting, elbows up, weight the outside peg, ride on the balls of your feet. ect ect You will get faster, just work on good form the the rest will fall into place. Post up a video of your riding some time on here and shoot me a link, glad to have you in the community. 

and here's a photo of my whip  :jawdrop:

tiainstagram1.jpg?t=1377738983

sorry for the margin rape. 

Seems like your good to me. Dont rush anything and it will come. Just practice practice practice! And here's my whip!

1377740292484.jpg

Thanks guys. I appreciate the comments. The first 11 times on the track I rolled all the jumps just worked on corners and riding position. But I will definitely put your coments to use. Btw nice bikes I love KTM and Hondas. My next bike once I master the 125 will be a 250 4 stroke.

Clean 2 smoker!

Appreciated!! And I'm diggin the 150r, I have a couple friends with those, they've got quite a kick to em for a little thumper!

I'm a new rider too! Actually just did my first enduro race this past Sunday but did not finish it :(. I have an 03 rm 85 big wheel!

image.jpg

Yeah. It kinda suprised me with the bottom end power. But I have a question. do you know anuthing about redoing my forks and suspension for my weight???

Yeah. It kinda suprised me with the bottom end power. But I have a question. do you know anuthing about redoing my forks and suspension for my weight???

Yeah it had some serious pickup haha, and I do not, there's plenty of knowledgeable people in the suspension forums, past bleeding my forks and probably changing the shock spring if I needed to, weird, I bought the bike all stock and the suspension feels like an angel made it haha

Yeah, im like 5'7 and 125-130 lbs. Lol I feel like I need to stiffen up ky suspension a little bit.

everybody develops differently, you will have spurts and hit plateaus, really 14 track trips is still just getting your feet wet into riding.

Right now you may be able to ride all day, but as you get faster, you will fatigue faster. You have to learn when to call it a day, because pushing after you are exhausted will put you on the ground.

Don't worry about the jumping too much. As the rest of your bike skills improve, jumping confidence will come around.

Yeah, im like 5'7 and 125-130 lbs. Lol I feel like I need to stiffen up ky suspension a little bit.

Only 130? And you need to stiffen it? Haha