Sign in to follow this  

2009 CRF450 starting woes. Help please?

Alright guys, bought a 2009 CRF450 last weekend. Clean bike, good shape. Bike was cold, started a bit hard when I looked at it but ran great after words. Now that I have it home it pretty much seems to only start when it wants to. The plug is good, it seems to have enough spark. I am giving it the 2-3 slow kicks and then pulling the yellow knob and kicking it swiftly from TDC. Sometimes it will sputter after a coupe kicks, other times you can kick it 50 times and it won't do anything. It's strange because when you get the sputter like you think it's going to start then on the next few kicks it will go back to absolutely nothing, sounding like it's not evey trying to start. I can smell fuel but I am not sure if that is out of the ordinary for an EFI bike. I relocated the ground for the capacitor and have cleaned the connector for the IAT sensor and the sensor itself. I suspect maybe the kill switch? Once it gets running it runs alright far as I can tell and it starts fine when the motor is hot.

Lets ASSUME (for now) that the timing is in spec and the valves are in spec. I will check them when I have time but full time studend, full time job... rare for me to get more than an hour in the garage at one shot.

If I disconnect the kil switch will it elimiate the possibility of it being bad or will it not allow the bike to start at all? I am also planning on replacing the fuel filter. What else do you guys suggest for testing possible faulty components?

Honestly sounds like a valve is out of spec. As for the fuel filter, I would personally say that is not the issue. When my buddies fuel filter was clogged, he could get it started and run it for about 3-5 minutes before it would sputter and hardly run. Filter looked like it was packed with coffee grounds, so I replaced the fuel filter, and no problems for the last 30 hours. If you are getting flashes out of the killswitch, it shouldn't be the problem. Honestly, check your valves. It is the first thing to do any time you get a bike and is usually the unsuspected problem.

I was under the impression that if I had a valve issue the bike would be harder to start when hot. Once I've had it running a while it starts just fine. It seems like an electrical problem but I am not sure. I am going to take it to our local Honda guy if I cant get it figured out over the weekend.

You got that backwards... hard to start cold but easy to start warm is usually valve clearances. sorry.

When i brought home my 09 it was very hard to start. After talking to Eddie Sisneros (he is in the intake area on here) he send to send him the ecm unit and he could remap it for easier starting , power etc. Since then 2 to 3 kicks starts right up hot or cold.

L

Bump, back to this issue. I had our local guy look at it (He's really good, I trust him.) He did the valves, replaced the kill switch, fuel filter and fuel injector. It was running well for him and then all the sudden it just quit starting. I can't even get it to pop like it's trying to start. Is it possible I have a possible internal fault with the ECU? Is there any way to test it? Send it to Sinceros?

I'm at a loss and I can honestly say I've never been as frustrated with anything as I am with this bike. Any help is appreciated.

Bump, back to this issue. I had our local guy look at it (He's really good, I trust him.) He did the valves, replaced the kill switch, fuel filter and fuel injector. It was running well for him and then all the sudden it just quit starting. I can't even get it to pop like it's trying to start. Is it possible I have a possible internal fault with the ECU? Is there any way to test it? Send it to Sinceros?

I'm at a loss and I can honestly say I've never been as frustrated with anything as I am with this bike. Any help is appreciated.

would your local guy have had the throttle body off?? the map sensor and tps plug can be switched around by mistake and will not run

I checked all the plugs I could see. The blue harness is plugged into the TPS and the black harness is plugged into the MAP sensor. I unplugged the TPS and it made no difference in starting. Checked both connections at my coil and hosed everything down with contact cleaner. Still no dice.

The stock 09 fuel pump is not so hot.

If the filter before the pump, in the tank, gets clogged enough, the pump runs just slightly dry, and then is permanently damaged.

You can try clearing out the filter by washing it, if it's not too late

It will put out less then 45psi intermittently on some bikes.

When it does, it will not start, or, not get full top end power.

You can test the PSI with an FI meter, or just bench test it for visual squirt using the nozzle.

Swapping to the latest direct-ft version ('11 ?)  is the fix.

I'm not saying you have this problem, but every '09 owner I've encountered has had to change his pump, and re-map for better F/A ratio at idle, for better starting.

...oh, and tight valve clearances as mentioned match your symptoms too.

if you haven't changed the spark plug do it anyway good spark means nothing as I have found. I had all sorts of starting and running issues and overlooked the spark plug because it looked like it had spark. New plug and hasn't missed a beat

I just encountered the exact symptoms with my 08 CRF450R.  Checked the valves and the intakes were way  out of spec. One was zeroed. I hope it is not your valves. If I were you, I would check the valves yourself.

The condensor is probably going bad. 

If youve got a service manual, check the condensor connections, and pull them off and use a battery charger or jump it with your car and see if it starts then. Probably will. When the condensor is weak, the fuel pump doesnt push much, but it'll still make good spark.