Sign in to follow this  

Big oops with the yfz

Alright guys I just ventured over from the dirtbike side of the forum because I had a little mishap on my yfz450...

First off its an 07 balance edition yfz with fmf powerbomb, hipper tech 3s, skid plates, powermadd guards and other small woods mods.

I was out in the yard messing around on it just to keep things running right because I'm typically on the bike. I wasn't riding crazy hard but I guess you could say I was getting into it a bit. Anyways right as I took off on a straight it threw the chain and doubled back between the drive sprocket and the swing arm... Oops. With oil dripping below. Engine ran fine in neutral but as soon as you put it in gear and tried to let out the clutch it would stall. As of right now it's sitting waiting to be pulled apart as I can not get the chain undone to pull off the sprocket so I need to pull the swingarm first (needs new bearings anyways) any suggestions of damage there could be? I understand it could be as dreadful as a cracked case but maybe just the seal was broken? I can get a picture up tomorrow of where the chain is tangled up if needed. I would just like any ideas of what could have happened.

Busted crankcase. motor will have to be split to fix more than likely

Same thing happened to my buddies YFZ. He had to get the crank case replaced.

BTW, those cases are a matched pair! Don't just buy the half that broke, because you'll need the pair.

You will probably be able to find a complete used engine or at least a bottom end for what new cases will cost you from Yamaha

Rob

Edited by 03YZ85

You will probably be able to find a complete used engine or at least a bottom end for what new cases will cost you from Yamaha

Rob

Ive found new cases for ~375, is that good or bad?