Sign in to follow this  

xr200? help

hi i got a old engine but dont know what year it is, i was told its a xr200cc and the engine has a me02e-5006807 serial number on it. i spent alot of time looking to see if i can google the number (me02e-5006807) and called the local dealers to figure out what exact year/modle the engine is. if anyone has that number on their bike please let me know what year/model yours is.

My XR200 is a 1984 model, and the engine number is ME02E-5502372. The bike was built in July of 1983.

ME02 is the twin shock model XR185/200 produced from 79-84.

A dealer can look up the year using the serial number, it is in the Honda Dealer Redbook Fact and Feature Manual.

The 79 XR185 engine can be identified by the didplacement code cast into the lower rear of the cylinder, there is also a two character code on the front of the cylinder. If you post up both codes it will help others.

180cm on the XR185, The 200 should be something bigger than 192cm.

The # on the engine case is 79 XR185...............Honda Motorcycle Identification Guide 1959 - 2000.  A numbers guy like you needs one of these guides Chuck............and I need a later one! ;)

Old School Al

Edited by Old School Al

I sold my last XR185 in the early eighties so I don't have the engine number but 79 was about the time Honda changed their number coding and according to the info on the cmsl website (now down) the 79 model code was ME02 so I assumed the engine numbers also converted that year.

So yes I need one of those books, and I just bought the one you posted.

Thanks for the push  :thumbsup:   

hi i got a old engine but dont know what year it is, i was told its a xr200cc and the engine has a me02e-5006807 serial number on it. i spent alot of time looking to see if i can google the number (me02e-5006807) and called the local dealers to figure out what exact year/modle the engine is. if anyone has that number on their bike please let me know what year/model yours is.

As OSA said it is a 79 XR185 engine however it is the same as the XR200 engines except for bore size, carb model, and first gear ratio. And there were several different  alternators used on the early XR200 and XR200R engines. The 80 XR200 engine serials began with 5100015. 

I used one of those engine as the first engine in my RM125 Full Floater conversion until I could find a 200R engine.

There is  a casting mark on the rear of the cylinder; it should be 180cm on a 185 cylinder, but the liner is the same as the 200 cylinder, and I have a 185 cylinder with a big bore kit on a 200R engine so they can be bored like a 200.

The cylinder can be bored as big as a 200 cylinder because it uses the same liner. The first gear rario can be changed by using the 80+ main shaft and countershaft 1st gear. The XR185 had a lighting coil that later XR200s didn't have, but XR200Rs did. If  you want more flywheel the 86+ alternators fit but you should also convert the entire electrical system. 

Edited by chuck4788
  • Like 1