2011 450R clutch upgrade to 6 spring

Hey all, I am wanting to upgrade my clutch from the 4 spring to the 6 spring. Hinson makes the complete package for about 1200 bucks! That includes a new basket, inner hub and pressure plates, springs and all the plates. I can also get the inner hub and pressure plate conversion on CRFs only for 541 bucks. Is the basket from Hinson worth the extra money? I would use the hinson plates either way in place of the stock clutch pack.

Also, I see that Wiseco makes a 6 spring conversion, any opinions?

I would love to hear the difference the 6 spring conversion made from any riders that have it. Dead engine starts in 2nd gear, clutch fade and overall wear?

Thanks for any info!

We have the Hinson in a 12.And it works great.

You can also convert in stages if you don't want to spring for all that dough at once.

You would have to get the inner basket and pressure plate together though which are the big ticket items.

We have the Hinson in a 12.And it works great.

You can also convert in stages if you don't want to spring for all that dough at once.

You would have to get the inner basket and pressure plate together though which are the big ticket items.

Thanks, good to hear you like it, its the same system and parts in the '11 i believe. In your opinion, does the bike need the Hinson basket? What if I just saved the 300 or so bucks and got the clutch pack, inner hub and pressure plate with 6 springs? I guess another way to ask, what would I loose by doing the conversion without the basket?

Thanks!

Thanks, good to hear you like it, its the same system and parts in the '11 i believe. In your opinion, does the bike need the Hinson basket? What if I just saved the 300 or so bucks and got the clutch pack, inner hub and pressure plate with 6 springs? I guess another way to ask, what would I loose by doing the conversion without the basket?

Thanks!

I got the Hinson aluminum basket when I bought the BTL slipper clutch kit for my 09 CRF450R.. the big difference between the stock OEM aluminum basket versus the Hinson aluminum basket is primarily the Hinson aluminum basket has a hard coating and the OEM does not. In my opinion, (everyone has their own)  if you plan to stay with a standard type clutch (4/6 spring type), I would probably forego the extra $$ and stick with the OEM aluminum basket. You can't go wrong with the Hinson plates for overall better quality and positive engagement.

Ok, good info! Thanks.

Over all did the 6 spring help with starting in gear after the bike is warm, from a point of doing dead engine starts in 2nd gear for racing.

DC, I never used the 6 spring clutch.. I went straight from the OEM CRF450R 4 spring clutch to the Hinson BTL clutch kit. Not sure if the 6 spring kit would have any impact on better starting in gear with respect to dead engine starts. However, I can pull strong 2nd/3rd gear starts with the Hinson BTL clutch kit, strong/positive clutch engagement out of the gate.. no slipping like I had with the OEM clutch.

I've bogged my 09 coming in turns when I got stuck behind a slow rider or pile-up, and did not have any problem starting my bike hot (1st kick) in gear with the Hinson. Don't know about the 6 spring.  

I don't think you stand to loose anything by not installing the Hinson basket unless of course your stock basket is worn.

On the other hand I'm one of the minority that thinks the stock 4 spring clutch when set up properly is not all that bad.

We ran a version of the 4 spring clutch in all of our pro bikes from 09 -11 until we tried the 6 spring in the 12.

The 6 spring is a great upgrade, and by all means do it,  but I would say for the money there are better mods. 

• Like 1

I don't think you stand to loose anything by not installing the Hinson basket unless of course your stock basket is worn.

On the other hand I'm one of the minority that thinks the stock 4 spring clutch when set up properly is not all that bad.

We ran a version of the 4 spring clutch in all of our pro bikes from 09 -11 until we tried the 6 spring in the 12.

The 6 spring is a great upgrade, and by all means do it,  but I would say for the money there are better mods.

By having the stock 4 spring set up correctly, and I am pretty sure I do. I tend to notice a huge difference in the clutch if the bike is HOT or running normal, seems like constant little adjustments on the adjuster at the lever. I don't slip the clutch all that much, only slow technical stuff and tight corners to avoid going into 1st gear. But when the bike is hot, lever all the way in, the bike won't start unless in neutral. To me, it's a big problem when racing.

Not sure how much of a hurry your in to get one, but if your patient there are deals to be had.   I just recently picked up a 6 spring Hinson unit for $300 on CL with a couple of motos.    It had the inner hub, preasure plate & fibre plates that normally would have cost $850 new.

Shout out goes to Preston National Pro rider #99 in the 250f's for the deal...

• Like 1

Think of it this way. If you add the Magura set up you will still have a questionable clutch.

You will have a high quality lever releasing and engaging that clutch though.

If you upgrade the clutch you will have a high quality clutch.

I was thinking that same very thing! Although the hydro clutch would be nice, I don't have a problem pulling my clutch all day long with 2 fingers.... So, I come full circle back to the clutch plates, inner hub and pressure plate.

I never really had a problem with clutch function using the stock setup, I just hated having to adjust the clutch after a lap. The magura clutch solves that. I still want to try the 6 spring setup but I can't point to any problems with the stock clutch

I never really had a problem with clutch function using the stock setup, I just hated having to adjust the clutch after a lap. The magura clutch solves that. I still want to try the 6 spring setup but I can't point to any problems with the stock clutch

With the hydro clutch and stock 4 spring, can you start the bike after its warm or hot in second gear? That is one of my problems and like you said, if its adjusted on lap 2 it won't be the same on lap 5.

From what I am learning, the 6 spring will be more concistant, start easier in gear, last longer, and have better modulation. So, I think I will have to keep my eye out for deals on all the items mentioned!!!

To bad we can't have it all!

With the hydro clutch and stock 4 spring, can you start the bike after its warm or hot in second gear? That is one of my problems and like you said, if its adjusted on lap 2 it won't be the same on lap 5.

From what I am learning, the 6 spring will be more concistant, start easier in gear, last longer, and have better modulation. So, I think I will have to keep my eye out for deals on all the items mentioned!!!

To bad we can't have it all!

DC, 

I personally think the 6 spring clutch would have definite advantages (stronger) than the stock 4 spring clutch.. although I have never had a 6 spring, several of my riding buddies have it, and they all swear by the extra 2 springs. They say the clutch lever is a little harder to pull, but less slipping compared to the stock 4 spring overall.  

Yes, I think I will go with a hinson inner hub, pressure plate (6spring) and clutch pack. I will use the stock basket and clutch cover. By the way, how can hinson really think its ok to charge 180 for a cover! Really!!

It might be a month or 2 befor I get it, but I will let ya all know how it works out.

Thanks for all the good information!