1996 rm 250 complete rebuild, first ride

I finally finished my rebuild of my 96 rm 250 i picked up for $250 bucks.  Needed new rod bearing and top end, 3rd engine ive rebuilt this is my first dirt bike. What  do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYBBOehdXsU&feature=youtu.be

Right on man, sounds good, I have a 93 RM 250

3:22 is that head shake or where you just moving your weight around?

Good work on the build

Nice bike, sounds and runs good. You kinda sit back far on that seat

3:22 is that head shake or where you just moving your weight around?

Good work on the build

Actually the bike was shaking like that, it felt very light in the front and it would shake at high speeds like that. I'm new to dirt bikes so I'm not sure what would cause that. Thanks!

Nice bike, sounds and runs good. You kinda sit back far on that seat

I'm used to riding my quad, I've only been on the bike once. Should I be riding in a more neutral position?

I'm used to riding my quad, I've only been on the bike once. Should I be riding in a more neutral position?

Sitting closer to the tank is a little better, better control 

It is really hard to gauge headshake when running in a straight line like that. That bike is designed to be a quick turner and not as a drag bike. You can lessen headshake by following the great tuning advice in the suspension forums, but to totally eliminate headshake at high speed in a suzy is kinda tough. The bike seems to run good, sounds like you did a good job with the rebuild, congrats. :thumbsup: That bike will still be competitive with current models if you develop your skills. To help with that I suggest you get a brush-hog and make some great trails in those corn fields, would be great practice. Let us know how that goes! :lol:  :lol:   

These guys picked up on a good point about your body position. I suspect if your put a bit more weight on the front of the bike it will load the forks up so they wont shake like that. 

If you are super light or the front suspension is super stiff it would create headshake I believe. 

Sounds good. Nice work saving another one from the scrap heap.

I would think an aftermarket steering damper like a Scotts would help and making sure the susp. sag is set right.

Man that looks like one big 'ol farm. Just curious, how many acres?

Thanks everyone for the help. I wish i could set up a track there but I cant because its not my farm.  Its my dads buddies farm and land, I was lucky enough for him to let me break it in there. Nearest track is about an hour away and this is only 15 min from my house

I finally finished my rebuild of my 96 rm 250 i picked up for $250 bucks.  Needed new rod bearing and top end, 3rd engine ive rebuilt this is my first dirt bike. What  do you guys think?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYBBOehdXsU&feature=youtu.be

I think you got a great bike! I have the same bike, got it for $700, but it was in great condition(needs a top end right now) so that's all you had too do? how much in the end?

I need to do a top end, and maybe some carb adjustment, seems like my bike runs lean, yet if I run it 40:1 it will foul a plug.

have to check the video out later.

Edited by LukeBrinkerhoff