06 crf450 sitting low in the rear

I bought this big from a guy a few months ago and he said his dad only rode it a few years.. The rear shock bumper is messed up and I've noticed the rear sits low when I ride . I weight about 170 so I have the spring collars all the way up without there being any play in the spring. It dosnt throw me off like it did before I adjusted the collars up and dosnt jump that bad but I Havnt tried any big air on it... The question is do I need to get my shock rebuilt? I know i atleast need a new shock bumper.

From sitting on a stand to me being in riding position it has 3 1/2 sag... Any help?

It won't let me open that page and sends to me a advertisement page. Not sure if you need to be a member for that site or what but thanks anyways

It sounds like your rear shock has lost the nitrogen charge so in would recommend a rebuild/ Check and check the spring rate - race tech had a calculation chart - very helpful . Also 3 1/2 sag is a little tight - most run 4 inch sag and check your free sag after if its not in spec then the spring is either worn or the wrong rate for you or it has been changed from stock . The race tech calculator will give you the factory spring rate and the recommended . Also your owners manual will give you those specs for the factory . I'm 170 and 6'1" and the factory spring rate is dead on for me and the sag and free sag are in spec . Good luck

Sorry. but your post is hard to follow. you say (its sitting low).  which means the spring is most likely too soft for your weight. But at 170 lbs.  the stock spring rate should be on the stiff side. which reflects your 3.5 inchs of race sag.  plus there are measurements for spring overall length that you need to stay within. if you can't keep the springs overall length within these spec with a race sag set at 95-105 mm. that tells you that you need a different spring. you should always have some preload on the spring. If your lock ring is backed off all the way to the point where its not compressing the spring at all. your spring is too soft. like jerry8807 said get yourself a Honda owners manual for your CRF dude. this will have all the info you need to set up your CRF's suspension.  By the way, the bump stop and nitrogen charge have nothing to do with what your talking about.

Sitting low when I ride, but I think that's just the 06 honda's stance. My buddy has a new yz450f and I noticed it sits higher in the rear. Anyways I appreciate it fellas. I have a rebuild kit on the way and was considering ordering a 5.4 spring. And def will after reading this. Yeah the spring is not compressed at all now when it's on the stand now so I appreciate you pointing that out!

When your taking the race sag measurement, is it in full riding gear ? that can make a difference too.

No it wasn't full gear and it was more like 3 5/8. But like you said the spring wasn't compressed at all at a free sag.. Ill have to measure geared up n get back to you. And I'm gonna try n get my hands on a owners manual. Btw I'm 170 6'1 also... Appreciate the help man!

No it wasn't full gear and it was more like 3 5/8. But like you said the spring wasn't compressed at all at a free sag.. Ill have to measure geared up n get back to you. And I'm gonna try n get my hands on a owners manual. Btw I'm 170 6'1 also... Appreciate the help man!

Full gear would be best and that sounds good. plus jerry8807 is 170 lbs 6'1. not me. Iam 270 lbs and 6'4. so yeah, I resprung a few bikes before lol.

Edited by Hondude450

Lol

Measure the race and free sag first:

STEP NINE: MEASURE THE SAG EVERY RACE

How do you measure sag? Put your bike on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground, and measure from the rear fender to the rear axle. Write that number on your buddy’s forehead. Next, remove the bike from the stand and climb on board. Once you are positioned on the bike, have your buddy make the same measurement again. Subtract the new number from the one written on his forehead. The result should be four inches or 100 millimeters (whichever comes first).

What should you do if it isn’t 100mm? Loosen the shock’s preload ring and turn the collar in the proper direction to make the spring stiffer or softer. Then, measure again and again until you get 100mm.

STEP TEN: YOU NEED TO CHECK FREE SAG

We know that you just measured the sag, but that wasn’t “free sag,” that was “race sag.” So, what is free sag? Once you have the preload set at 100mm for your weight, position the bike on level ground, grab the bike under the rear fender, and lift up—like you are going to pick the bike up off the ground. Did you feel the shock move? How far could you lift the rear fender up before the rear wheel tried to leave the ground? Was it 25mm? Was it 3mm? The amount of slop in the rear end is called “free sag.” If your shock is too stiff, you will have more than 35mm of free sag (with the race sag properly adjusted for your weight). If your shock spring is too light, you will not have any free sag.

Think about that for a second. Repeat after us—if your shock spring is too stiff, the shock will have excess free play. Now ask yourself, why? That’s simple; you haven’t been eating enough. Gain weight and you will have to preload the shock spring more, which will take up the excess free sag. If you don’t want to pork up, you should consider a lighter shock spring.

If you don’t have any free sag, your shock spring is too soft. Why? Because to hold your body up, it has to be cranked way down into its stroke. It is overstressed—so overstressed that it is working overtime to hold up the bike. Thus, it has no jangle left in the rear end. Buy a stiffer shock spring (or go on a diet).

If none of that work, then inspect the subframe.  make sure it is not bent or cut/rewelded shorter.  Also check to see if someone lowered the rear shock (internally with a spacer).  Basically rebuild the shock at that point.  More than likely you have your sag totally wrong

Measure the race and free sag first:

STEP NINE: MEASURE THE SAG EVERY RACE

How do you measure sag? Put your bike on a stand with the rear wheel off the ground, and measure from the rear fender to the rear axle. Write that number on your buddy’s forehead. Next, remove the bike from the stand and climb on board. Once you are positioned on the bike, have your buddy make the same measurement again. Subtract the new number from the one written on his forehead. The result should be four inches or 100 millimeters (whichever comes first).

What should you do if it isn’t 100mm? Loosen the shock’s preload ring and turn the collar in the proper direction to make the spring stiffer or softer. Then, measure again and again until you get 100mm.

STEP TEN: YOU NEED TO CHECK FREE SAG

We know that you just measured the sag, but that wasn’t “free sag,” that was “race sag.” So, what is free sag? Once you have the preload set at 100mm for your weight, position the bike on level ground, grab the bike under the rear fender, and lift up—like you are going to pick the bike up off the ground. Did you feel the shock move? How far could you lift the rear fender up before the rear wheel tried to leave the ground? Was it 25mm? Was it 3mm? The amount of slop in the rear end is called “free sag.” If your shock is too stiff, you will have more than 35mm of free sag (with the race sag properly adjusted for your weight). If your shock spring is too light, you will not have any free sag.

Think about that for a second. Repeat after us—if your shock spring is too stiff, the shock will have excess free play. Now ask yourself, why? That’s simple; you haven’t been eating enough. Gain weight and you will have to preload the shock spring more, which will take up the excess free sag. If you don’t want to pork up, you should consider a lighter shock spring.

If you don’t have any free sag, your shock spring is too soft. Why? Because to hold your body up, it has to be cranked way down into its stroke. It is overstressed—so overstressed that it is working overtime to hold up the bike. Thus, it has no jangle left in the rear end. Buy a stiffer shock spring (or go on a diet).

If none of that work, then inspect the subframe. make sure it is not bent or cut/rewelded shorter. Also check to see if someone lowered the rear shock (internally with a spacer). Basically rebuild the shock at that point. More than likely you have your sag totally wrong

Appreciate it man! I'm gonna rebuild the shock because I need to replace the boot anyways and order a sorter spring for my weight and get back to you on all this.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1379076266.144365.jpg

This mark means its a 5.7 right?

Sitting low when I ride, but I think that's just the 06 honda's stance. My buddy has a new yz450f and I noticed it sits higher in the rear. Anyways I appreciate it fellas. I have a rebuild kit on the way and was considering ordering a 5.4 spring. And def will after reading this. Yeah the spring is not compressed at all now when it's on the stand now so I appreciate you pointing that out!

3.5" is actually not quite ENOUGH sag (from extended to you on the bike). 4" is pretty typical, no not sure why you think it's riding low. Do you have help measuring ?

Just how bad is the boot ? you need to dissasemble the shock further than you need if doing just a normal service to replace the bumper. If its just a little degraded at the top, no big deal. If split or really looks BAD, then yea.. Why not post a photo.

Edited by MELK-MAN

3.5" is actually not quite ENOUGH sag (from extended to you on the bike). 4" is pretty typical, no not sure why you think it's riding low. Do you have help measuring ?

Just how bad is the boot ? you need to dissasemble the shock further than you need if doing just a normal service to replace the bumper. If its just a little degraded at the top, no big deal. If split or really looks BAD, then yea.. Why not post a photo.

I just said that after noticing how lower mine was than my buddy's 12 yz450f. The new y's just sit higher.but yeah it's tore apart now. I'm actually on the way back from getting shock oil. I have the rebuild kit and new spring at the house.and if you look at that last pic what's left of the boot is in the background, past due!

got nitrogen ?

got nitrogen ?

Hell no!.... The local bike shop said they won't have time to mess with it until Monday and said you can't just fill it with nitrogen, you need a

No lose Valve or somethin.. And the only shop I could find with some to make till Monday, their tanks couldn't put more that 80 pounds in.. So I gotta wait till Monday. Anyways if that red marks means it is a 5.7 shock then that really makes sense why I couldn't get sag right when I'm 5.4 weight.

Not to mention the local bike shop will not even charge the shock and apparently nobody really uses nitrogen anymore except for that one tire shop. Every other tire place in town didnt use it. Hell the paintball shops don't even use it anymore!

I was recurring to two diff local bike shops^. The mechanics will I just have to wait till Monday. The Honda place are being gay like about everything else.

*Referring *is being.. So does anybody know if that mark means this shock is a 5.7?