Getting the infamous dirt bike title!

Hello everyone reading!

I just bought a bike about 3 weeks ago that didn't run. Its a 1986 honda xr250r. The bike didn't come with a title and I thought nothing of it as ive bought all my bikes without them. Now im trying to make it street legal but need a title.

I actually got a hold of someone at Honda power sports and they checked the vin and all numbers match up. They told me that the dealers that sell the bikes usually didnt give titles back then for bikes.

I then tried to call the SOS office of Illinois and they were no help whatsoever to me >_> but they did run the vin # and they said I must have the wrong number because the vin wasn't in their system, which in my belief means it never had a title.

So as many people have asked on here, whats my next step? Im guessing I should get a off road title first then convert it to street. But how can I get a title at all? And info will help and I do have the vin# if anyone needs it! :D

Thanks in advance,

Nick

this is why I don't buy anyting without the proper papaer work

my 93 has a title

but just because your state can't find it doesnt mean it wasn't  bought in another state

or just never documented

where I live I would be forst to apply for a lost title / contact the PO via certified letter and see if I could get them to sign  over if not I would have to  post a bond

I wonder if a used car lot would have experiance in how to procede or maybe even a towin yard  they wind up with the ownership of vehicles after a tow and no claim

good luck !

I doubt that it ever had a title, I bought my brand new 2000 XR200 without a title. it was an option if you wanted one at least here in PA. Most of the older bikes I had never had titles. My two newest bikes, both GasGas's came with a certificate of origin but no title. I've found (contrary to what many people on here say) that most buyers when I sold a bike was glad it wasnt titled so we didnt have to deal with all the transfer fee's and taxes and such. Maybe its just my state though. Not that any of this helps you but I am just saying I bet the chances are slim of that bike ever having a title.

Edited by CDBiker220

Thanks for the replies everyone! I plan on going to the DMV soon to find out the news. I know there are a few dual sport bikes in my town and im pretty sure conversion is possible in Illinois, just gotts go to the right person! ? im guessing it has no title but I have a friend thats dad is a cop so ill have him check the vin and see whats up.

Could I get it titled as a "project bike"? Like a project car?

In MI i believe you can apply for a title if certain criteria is met. Some of it, and dont quote me as looked a whiile back, was $2500 or less value per kbb or similar, older then 7 yrs old, and never registered elsewhere, ie out of state. That can be hard to figure out with some bike. Anyhow, may be something to look and see if your state offers.

Hmmm im gonna go to the local police station tonight and talk to the guy I know and ask about different titles. Though the abandoned vehicle title I hope will work. I don't get why I cant just get a title since there was nevee one given with the bike... to many laws and rules hahaha ?

Take the engine and frame #'s to your local DMV and say that you want to purchase this bike,but there is no paperwork on it. And that you want to make sure that there are no back fees due. If it's not in their system, get the appropiate paper work and have someone that you trust, and trusts you, to fill it out as if they sold it to you.Thats how I did with my 85 i.t 200. Walked out with registration and a title for about $85. As far as making it street legal........idk. Good luck

Take the engine and frame #'s to your local DMV and say that you want to purchase this bike,but there is no paperwork on it. And that you want to make sure that there are no back fees due. If it's not in their system, get the appropiate paper work and have someone that you trust, and trusts you, to fill it out as if they sold it to you.Thats how I did with my 85 i.t 200. Walked out with registration and a title for about $85. As far as making it street legal........idk. Good luck