Drz-400s converted to SM with Ktm 17 x 4.25

Hello everyone,

I have a ktm rim on the rear of my Drz its time to change the rear wheel bearings. I just read that the drz has 3 bearings 2 on the sprocket side and one on the rotor side. Does anyonme know if the ktm is the same before I order the parts, also will the drz sm bearings fit in the ktm rims?

Thanks!

I don't see any posting on the rim other then a KTM stamp and the size of the rim, I have been searching for the rim but all I seem to find are aftermarket ones. I know the bearing size for the SM rfear wheel are 2x 6004-2rs and 1x 6204-2rs. Just curious if anyone has a Ktm 17 x 4.25 rear wheel on their DRZ. It was a direct bolt on no modding required, and if so are there 3 bearings in there and are they the same dimentions as the DRZ sm bearings.

KTM uses 2 bearings in the rear wheel hub.  (1 on each side)  Not as durable as the DRZ, 3 bearing design. Virtually all full size KTM rear wheels interchange.  Bearings are 6005.  You can look it up on on-line parts diagram.

• Like 1

KTM uses 2 bearings in the rear wheel hub.  (1 on each side)  Not as durable as the DRZ, 3 bearing design. Virtually all full size KTM rear wheels interchange.  Bearings are 6005.  You can look it up on on-line parts diagram.

Ok I took the tire off and I pulled the bearings out. First off I don't think this hub has the right bearings because they slid right out with out any effort. Sprocket side has a 6204/1 and the brake side has 6004-2rs the rim number is "BEHR GERMANY 17xMT 4.25 H2-10001-07 03" I was searching around on the net for the proper bearing size for this rim and turned up short. Does anyone have this same rear rim?

Rim markings mean nothing in regards to the hub.  That only identifies the rim  (a wheel is an assembly of rim, spokes and hub. Various size rims can be spoked to the same hub ).  If you know the hub is KTM then you need to look at KTM for parts fitment.  If the hub is aftermarket, then you need to identify the aftermarket maker.  Bearings only come in certain sizes.  They fit or they don't.  Should be easy to tell if the bearing is the wrong  size or if the hub is warn so the correct bearing does not fit.  You need to identify the hub.  Maybe a picture would help.

A KTM hub takes 6005 bearings.

I looked for a mark on the hub, could not find one, I am thinking my spokes are out as well, a lot of them make a much lower note then they should. Here are a few pictures.2013-08-31151735_zps2d91a468.jpg2013-08-31153806_CARLSBADSPRINGS_Ontario2013-08-31151642_zpsa6c39c80.jpg2013-08-31151718_zps8d35e3a9.jpg2013-08-31151630_zpsa0a60885.jpg

I tried setting the wheel slightly to the right and tried it out, it still made light contact with the tire.

What size is that tire? And offsetting your axle alignment like that is going to cause premature wear on your chain and sprockets. Loosen the axle, pull the caliper and chain off and spin the rear tire while the bike is elevated, look for a wobble if you're concerned about your spokes. 

Axle alignment is a separate problem.  The pictures do not show the hub???  Perhaps there is a language barrier.  The hub is the thing in the center of the wheel that has the bearings. That is what I need a good picture of.

Also I can tell you the KTM 6005 bearings do not fit the axle directly.  The KTM seal collars adapt the bearing to fit the axle.  If your hub is KTM, does it have the KTM wheel collars?  It is possible someone has used different bearings.  Ones that fit the hub bore and the DRZ axle without the KTM seal collars.

Sorry I'm on mobile and I can't get my phone to edit a post. I just reread your post now that I'm awake ? your suggestion about the lack of collars and someone just fitting bearings could be my case. A 6005 bearing has a bigger diameter then a 6004, correct? So what your saying is that maybe the axle that is supposed to be in this rim is less then 20mm or the bearings that fit have a larger then 20 mm ID or perhaps could be imperial?

KTM and DRZ use the same diameter rear axle, 20mm.  The inner diameter of the KTM bearing is bigger than the axle.  The seal collar fits thru the bearing and adapts to fit the axle.  This design allows the bearing spacer (collars) to be retained for quicker wheel changes.  No loose parts. The 6005 bearing only works with the KTM seal collars.   6005 is 25 X 47 X 12.  6204 is 20 X 47 X 14.  There is no 20 X 47 X 12.  A 6204 would probably work in a KTM hub but not sure if the DRZ wheel collar will work or need to be modified to get the correct build up width for the wheel assembly to fit the swing arm width.  A KTM wheel seal is 32 X 47 X 7.  

. I don't believe its a ktm hub, but then again I couldn't find any markings on the hub itself.

If your not sure about what kind of hub it is you might be able to cross reference the sprocket with a JT catalog and the rotor with a EBC catalog.

A standard KTm rear sprocket with the inserts attached should should accept the DRZ 20mm axle.

Tony

Not KTM.  Bigger bearing on the drive side.  Is there a step bore on the drive side for a smaller bearing then the larger bearing on top? Or only room for 1 bearing?

Looks like custom center spacer and bearing seal collars.

What are the bearing numbers?  Usually on the rubber seals.

Do the bearings fit the bore with a press fit?

I guess Suzuki or Kawasaki hub but not DRZ400 if only 1 bearing on the drive side.

Is the center spacer just a little longer than the width of the shoulders in the hub that locate the bearings?

There is no step for a second bearing on the sprocket side. The bearings came out just tapping them on the inside with my ounch, no hammer required and press in with very little force in comparisons to my honda XR but once they are seated there is no play. They just seem to come out and go in loose. The center spacer fits perfectly square with the edge of the shoulders on both sides and contacts the bearings perfecty. The bearing numbers are 6204 drive side, 6004 brake side, couldn't make out the numbers on the seals. If it is a custom job, they did a pretty good job making the outside and center spacer. I didn't see any indication the hub is worn inside or any wear on the outside of the bearing but maybe it is slightly that's why their not very tight. Does anyone know if Yamaha makes a rim like this, the bearing fit in like my brothers YZF hub.

There is no step for a second bearing on the sprocket side. The bearings came out just tapping them on the inside with my punch, no hammer required and press in with very little force in comparisons to my honda XR but once they are seated there is no play. They just seem to come out and go in loose. The center spacer fits perfectly square with the edge of the shoulders on both sides and contacts the bearings perfecty. The bearing numbers are 6204 drive side, 6004 brake side, couldn't make out the numbers on the seals. If it is a custom job, they did a pretty good job making the outside and center spacer. I didn't see any indication the hub is worn inside or any wear on the outside of the bearing but maybe it is slightly that's why their not very tight. Does anyone know if Yamaha makes a rim like this, the bearing fit in like my brothers YZF hub.

Tony my mud rims are the stock drz400s rims. I meausred the bolts they are approx 6 1/2 in across and the 17x4.25 rim measured the same

Edited by Rukix