Gmc 2500 tail gate or moto gate?

I just bought my first truck its a 98 gmc 2500 5.7l.  Yes I know that gas and insurance is going to be super high for a 16 year old but when I bought the truck it was missing a tail gate and the rear bumper is all rusted up. My older brother has a bumper and tailgate for $300 but I was also looking at the moto-gate on motosport for $60. Would this be the smarter option? It might also help with gas mileage right? And what other mods would help with mpg? I was going to put a tuner chip and cold air intake kit on it. Thanks for the help as I will need the truck to haul my bike and sled!

Chrysler corp did wind tunnel tests and myth busters did actual road tests comparing various tail gate options.  No MPG gain. actually wind tunnel showed a loss.

Chrysler corp did wind tunnel tests and myth busters did actual road tests comparing various tail gate options.  No MPG gain. actually wind tunnel showed a loss.

so just buy the tailgate your saying? Thanks!

I just bought my first truck its a 98 gmc 2500 5.7l.  Yes I know that gas and insurance is going to be super high for a 16 year old but when I bought the truck it was missing a tail gate and the rear bumper is all rusted up. My older brother has a bumper and tailgate for $300 but I was also looking at the moto-gate on motosport for $60. Would this be the smarter option? It might also help with gas mileage right? And what other mods would help with mpg? I was going to put a tuner chip and cold air intake kit on it. Thanks for the help as I will need the truck to haul my bike and sled!

If you are looking to save money on fuel, just make sure your truck is tuned up and tires are inflated. There

are no "mods" that are going to really have a significant affect on MPG. Accelerate smoothly, coast to stoplights,

and drive the speed limit. That will save you a lot more money then dumping a ton of cash on intake, exhaust,

tune, etc...  At the end of the day, it's a truck and trucks are gas hogs.

If you are looking to save money on fuel, just make sure your truck is tuned up and tires are inflated. There

are no "mods" that are going to really have a significant affect on MPG. Accelerate smoothly, coast to stoplights,

and drive the speed limit. That will save you a lot more money then dumping a ton of cash on intake, exhaust,

tune, etc...  At the end of the day, it's a truck and trucks are gas hogs.

Will keep this in mind. Thanks