Sign in to follow this  

Mystery Pin? Pictures included

I am doing a water pump seal/oil seal on my 2002 CR125. When I removed the crankcase cover I didnt know the exaust valve gear would plop out when I turned the case over. Well this pin was laying next to it on my table when the gear hit the table. In the picture you see its shiny. Thats after I wiped it off with a rag. It was black. I looked over the schematics and I cant figure out where this came from!? It almost looks like the locator pin thats on the water pump housing....but mine are all there. (see picture.)  If any of you could give me some ideas, I would appreciate it greatly!

Roy

4r4d.jpg

7gnv.jpg

00po.jpg

20130828_190932.jpg

20130829_074228.jpg

20130829_074336.jpg

Edited by slackinoff

well.....  Are the 2 water pump pins and the "mystery pin" the EXACT SAME?   I looked up the part number for the roller pin that is for the water pump alignment cover (4x8) 96220-40080. It looks like the 2002 cr125 only uses 3 of those for the entire bike.

2 for the water pump housing alignment (which you already know about) and 1 for the gearshift drum (Honda P/N 24312-KA3-741).  How it could have gotten out and wound up on the right side case is a mystery to me!

Other than that, maybe someone has replaced the water pump before, lost one of the alignment pins, and replaced it with another. The lost pin somehow wound up in the right casing for you to find.  I dont know???? just guessing.....

Thanks for the quick replies fellas....I like a good mystery, but not when it involves MY stuff. hah.

The thing that got me was that it was BLACK and came out with the ex valve gear.....that whole area is black. I guess its been there awhile....

It looks like it may be from one of the clutch needle bearings, if not that then I'm pretty stumpted :p

I will pull the clutch after work and see whats up.....bad thing is....I need to know now!! I have to place my order with motosport by 6pm to get my other stuff over nighted......uhhh bossss....Im feeling a little flueish....haha.

well.....  Are the 2 water pump pins and the "mystery pin" the EXACT SAME?   I looked up the part number for the roller pin that is for the water pump alignment cover (4x8) 96220-40080. It looks like the 2002 cr125 only uses 3 of those for the entire bike.

2 for the water pump housing alignment (which you already know about) and 1 for the gearshift drum (Honda P/N 24312-KA3-741).  How it could have gotten out and wound up on the right side case is a mystery to me!

Other than that, maybe someone has replaced the water pump before, lost one of the alignment pins, and replaced it with another. The lost pin somehow wound up in the right casing for you to find.  I dont know???? just guessing.....

That's good detective work there! I will have to check it out when I get home to see if it is exactly the same...

Thanks again guys,

Roy

Edited by slackinoff

Looking through the schematics...It really looks like it could be that clutch needle bearing.....I went ahead and added it to my order. I need my all my parts by tom in a bad way. What would I do all labor day weekend??

Edited by slackinoff
  • Like 1

It really looks like it could be that clutch needle bearing.....

clutch needle bearings are longer and thin. The picture of the mystery pin you posted is shorter and fatter.....   I pulled up the drawing for the clutch needle bearing and it lists it as 25x29x22 mm.  A quarter is roughly 24 mm in diameter and the mystery pin is about half that....  I really dont think its a needle from the clutch needle bearing but it has been atleast 8 years since I pulled a 2002 CR125 apart.

If you look at your existing clutch needle bearing, you can see if any of the rollers have fallen out. It will be obvious if there is one missing.....

here is my old 2002 cr125.....   brings back good times!

DSCN0489-M.jpg

Edited by Ilove2strokes

Yea Ilove2strokes I am thinking the same thing..... I found some better pictures in my digital service manual. The mystery pin is not from the clutch needle bearing...too short and fat. Good catch...

That old 02 looks great man.

Got mine a month ago...its Minty! I have still had problems though.....

Heres what I saw after I my first moto ride on the bike..... I drilled the holes thinking I might just ride it like that....I was in a F-It attitude.

5uxh.jpg

Cleared my head and decide to replace the frame....got craigslist lucky. Early morning drive out to Houston got me a new frame on the cheap. Thanks ridleyredraider!!!

Which led to this

9hvr.jpg

I swapped everything over that night and hit the track the next morning!

Then yesterday water is dripping badly from the telltale hole.....I will get this bike sorted out!

20130815_201304.jpg

20130817_180939.jpg

Edited by slackinoff

mystery solved?

kvzr.jpg

well...kinda.....we still dont know how it got up in the ex valve gear nook.....

it looks like the same pin to me!  If that is the case, we know there are only 3 of those on the entire bike. 2 for the water pump cover and one inside the transmission.....

If you know that someone has been inside the engine before, Id be willing to guess that they pulled the power valve cover and then the water pump cover off, the pin fell out of the water pump cover and fell into the power valve linkage cavity. They couldnt find the 'lost' pin so they replaced it. 

Yep, that has to be it! Motor looks like it has never been touched but I guess it could have been way early in its life. Thank you for the help Ilove2strokes!!!

Have a sschweet labor day weekend.

Thank you for the help Ilove2strokes!!!

Have a sschweet labor day weekend.

Thanks, Im going to get my 2001 CR250 dirty for the first time this weekend  :(  Im looking forward to riding, as always, but the bike looks so good right now all freshly rebuilt, i dont feel like screwing it up just yet..... 

IMG_8198small-L.jpg