Top 3 - 5 "commuter" mods

Just picked up a '13 250L and plan to use it mostly for commuting to work, riding country/dirt roads and some "light" trail riding behind my daugter on her CRF50....70/30 Road/trail. Don't know if this is possible, but I'd like to have the best of both worlds: easily cruise at 55+ but also be a capable trail bike should I wander off thru some single track.

I'm thinking these might be my "Top 3-5 mods" out of the gate:

- pipe/header: stock setup is extremely quiet and hard to hear RPMs when riding beyond 40mph. seems that lots of you guys run a Q4 muffler w/ either Megabomb or Powerbomb and EJK. What do you recommend for the above mentioned riding?

- 13T: I see lots of talk about a 13T sprocket. Is this being used for faster road/highway riding or what?

- replacing rear brake light/turn signals: stock setup is hideous and rattles when off road. The DRC Edge Tail Light Kit looks nice and clean.

- Handguards: Zeta handguards w/ integrated lights (nice to have)

Ideally, I like this setup and wanted some feedback from guys who might share similar riding styles as me:

http://www.soloracer.com/hondacrf250l.html

Sounds to me like you already have it all figured out ...   :thumbsup: My very first mod was a new seat. 

I chase my boy on a CRF80F and also use it for buzzing around town.  I have 13/42 sprockets and can ride 60-65 all day long and top out at 80 mph

The young fellow in this pic is my luggage system ... I just throw a back pack on him and say "Let's go Bud" ....  :lol:

index.php?app=core&module=attach&section

Edited by gnath9

Well stock the bike can do all your requesting from it easily.

For commuter specific I say... seat concepts or a corbin, rear rack/storage/pack and DRC pegs.

For looks I love the smaller signals and tail light.

My mods listed in my signature...

both of your bikes and sound great. sounds like a definitely need a 13t then b/c I had to work hard to touch 70mph on a highway (I'm 155lbs).

As for the pipes , what do you recommend given my riding intentions- MegaBomb or Powerbomb?

What they said  :ride: Cheers .

Just watch out for the tires, Hey Gnath  :smirk:

Regarding headers, this is from FMF... Both the Powerbomb and Megabomb are great headers. The difference is that a Megabomb is more bottom end power and the Powerbomb is more for top end. So if you are doing rides that have tight turns I would go with a Megabomb and if you are doing more straight line stuff I would go with a Powerbomb. But really its up to you were you want the power.

I went with the Megabomb, there are many threads on here relating to pipes, lemme dig some up in another post.

Just picked up a '13 250L and plan to use it mostly for commuting to work, riding country/dirt roads and some "light" trail riding behind my daugter on her CRF50....70/30 Road/trail. Don't know if this is possible, but I'd like to have the best of both worlds: easily cruise at 55+ but also be a capable trail bike should I wander off thru some single track.

I'm thinking these might be my "Top 3-5 mods" out of the gate:

- pipe/header: stock setup is extremely quiet and hard to hear RPMs when riding beyond 40mph. seems that lots of you guys run a Q4 muffler w/ either Megabomb or Powerbomb and EJK. What do you recommend for the above mentioned riding?

- 13T: I see lots of talk about a 13T sprocket. Is this being used for faster road/highway riding or what?

- replacing rear brake light/turn signals: stock setup is hideous and rattles when off road. The DRC Edge Tail Light Kit looks nice and clean.

- Handguards: Zeta handguards w/ integrated lights (nice to have)

Ideally, I like this setup and wanted some feedback from guys who might share similar riding styles as me:

http://www.soloracer.com/hondacrf250l.html

I love my setup with just a 13, and I ride a lot of pavement!!!!

Also, see the alternative to DRC, I love my set up, legal and slim, and just plug and play, almost!

EJK is for sure, but pipe is just really for weight and sound, really my LAST mod!

Oh, gotta redo your seat, take it to a local upholsterer, can really customize it for ya.

Just my 2 cents!

I would say the seat first and foremost. The stock seat is hard and if you have a somewhat long commute you will want comfort.

I would say the seat first and foremost. The stock seat is hard and if you have a somewhat long commute you will want comfort.

+10,000   :thumbsup:

Yes, I noticed seat was uncomfortable on a 60 mile ride.

Yes, I noticed seat was uncomfortable on a 60 mile ride.

your way tougher than me  .... I was in pain after a 60 mile ride ... I was even standing on the highway at some point. 

The Corbin is awesome for long hauls .... 60 miles now does not bother me at all 

your way tougher than me  .... I was in pain after a 60 mile ride ... I was even standing on the highway at some point. 

The Corbin is awesome for long hauls .... 60 miles now does not bother me at all 

well, I ride both road and mtb's so I'm used to smaller and more uncomfortable saddles.  Even thought about wearing a pair of bibs (cycling shorts) under my riding pants for added comfort. not sure how many of you guys do this?

well, I ride both road and mtb's so I'm used to smaller and more uncomfortable saddles.  Even thought about wearing a pair of bibs (cycling shorts) under my riding pants for added comfort. not sure how many of you guys do this?

I wear padded cycling shorts on the longer motorcycle rides, no more this...  :moon:

:ride:  

Edited by slolane

but that's what your arse is for - padding. Unless you're really a hard-arse. :D

Strange, I haven't noticed anything funny in my butt on 60+ mile rides.. I'd take my TCI windscreen over new seat anyday. Even at standard 75mph highway speeds here it's just so comfortable. Probably even lighter on your butt since the wind doesn't push you back/down..

i have the stock seat and commute 90 miles a day...  it never bothers me.. i have no ass though so i don't know if this helps for some strange reason... lol  i do move front to back A LOT. but that's mostly due to my inability to sit still period... hahaha..  so a seat is last on my list, but i am sure after i get one i would see the light... 

in my signature you can see my mods... i love my bike for my commute... when i take the parkway i do 70-75mph for about 38 miles. a windshield would make this a much better 38 miles,..

handguards help in cooler weather and surely will help in the event of a spill... 

tank bag is like my center console... lol   it has my e-cigs, charger for my cell, finger rain wipe, wallet, change for parway and to throw at people, and any other quick need item.

rear rack/tailbag/rotopax...  i have all 3. lol

bars/grips for you long seat time comfort...  i believe someone riding in the dirt has very different needs in this department...  sticky grips(dirt) vs plush not so sticky grips(street)

and lastly, mirrors...  i really like my ktm folding mirrors... on the road they have made a huge difference...  i believe turning your head is most important, but mirros are a must on my commute... 

i will say i like my ram mount x-mount...  not needed though...  

At 30 miles on the stock seat, I was hurting, at 30 miles on the seat concepts while better I was very uncomfortable, I rode another 80 mile round trip yesterday on my corbin and felt great.......could have easily have ridden another 80 miles no problem, i felt that good....then again I'm getting old and have issues..... :ride:

You guys are going to KILL my saving account yet!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead::rant::cry:

My commute isn't too long so the seat is taking a "back seat" on the mod list for me, but my butt starts to get sore after about 50-60 miles. The seat isn't moving down my mod list; I do want a better one  It is just that other items keep moving ahead of it. :rolleyes:

1) Number one performance mod for me was just removing the backfire screen on the filter.  I just cut the plastic tabs off with a wood chisel.  I removed the snorkel too to increase flow. Even without the EJK installed, it won;t run too lean. 

2)  EJK programmer be my next mod.

3)  next mods would be for protection.  Skid plate, radiator guard, and bark busters/handle bars

4) next mod would be for looks,  DRC edge tail light and LED turn signals.

5) Tires

6) 305 Big Bore Kit :ride:

5 and 6 could be reversed depending on condition of tries and/or riding use and on road/off road ratio.  I am still running on the stock foot pegs, but I plan on replacing them at some point too.  Others have replaced their fron sprockets as part of the "Stage 1 "mods.  

I have a new rear 45T and 48T sprocket awaiting install, but I haven't put either on the bike yet. 

In the end, I think it is wise to get to know the bike for awhile and ride it stock to be able to evaluate what mods will take precedence over others for you.

Happy Motoring.

These are fun bikes to ride and mod; Although at some point, I will have invested more in mods than I paid for the bike, but  will be great fun getting there. :ride:

Edited by dkappelm