The DRZ thread of shame

This summer has been a nightmare, moving house and all manner of other things have got in the way of my riding, but Sunday my girlfriend and I headed off for a day in the saddle. We hadn't managed more than five miles when she disapeared from my mirrors, as her DRZ expired with a pop.

Back for the trailer and back to the garage we go. This is what I found. It ain't pretty.

4E17E530_zps02eb1636.jpg

CB33690C_zps7ed6c222.jpg

9F31B3A6_zps411acb71.jpg

3BB8F9EE_zpsb8e8020b.jpg

This bike has always used oil, yet doesn't smoke or drip, and I think it just ran dangerously low. She isn't very good at checking the level, so I usually check intermittently, but I guess between us we have been assuming the other is taking care of it. And I quote "It's been making a funny noise for a couple of weeks now ..." 

So the exhaust cam starved and melted, the valve seized and got tagged. Sheesh. Anyone got a good head for sale?

At least I have plenty of room to work on it in the new shop. clap.gif

5D1BC4EC_zpsf5229b81.jpg

May have been a slowed flow from the oil tank to engine. All the oil may be staying in the frame tank. Be sure to check the screen at the bottom of it before you run the engine once its rebuilt. Sad to see an engine blown like that. Good luck with the rebuild.

Edited by BurnCycle

$$$$$$$$$$$

Wow, now that is just sad. Cool your girlfriend rides(rode) a DRZ, though.

Head and cams for sure.. but the entire motor need to be disassembled, inspected and repaired as needed.

The in case screen can not be serviced without splitting the cases.

You have no idea what the rod and crank bearings are like after having junk moving about the oil.

The rod is often bent when you have valve impact, though admitted form the pics posted, yours did not seem to hit that hard.

Was it low oil, blocked case screen? blocked frame screen? Oil pump or oil pump drive gear failure?

Inspect the oil pump and oil pump case cavity, oil pump drive gear closely for damage. 

If the motor has a lot of hours, and with it's lack of maintenance.. plus already was using oil.

I would plan on Hot rods crank and mains, CW 94mm , cylinder kit, head and cams.

Or pick up a used motor, install and ride on.

It's hard to tell but it looks like there is water on some parts in the pictures of the top end? 

It's hard to tell but it looks like there is water on some parts in the pictures of the top end? 

Looks like oil to me.

But no matter if it's peanut butter.. thing is broke, needs a full tear down, inspection and repair.

Looks like oil to me.

But no matter if it's peanut butter.. thing is broke, needs a full tear down, inspection and repair.

need to find the cause of it also? Or is it a dropped valve from looks of the piston

Good lesson to everyone to check levels, maintain, & change oil regularly.....sorry this had to come at your expense this time around. Just the sight of that made me want to change my oil & filter again. Even though Eric poured a little constructive gasoline on your fire....I'd be taking everything he mentioned seriously to keep from having to re-build twice. Good luck & please keep us in the re-build loop. Learning is golden.  :thumbsup:

Good lesson to everyone to check levels, maintain, & change oil regularly.....sorry this had to come at your expense this time around. Just the sight of that made me want to change my oil & filter again. Even though Eric poured a little constructive gasoline on your fire....I'd be taking everything he mentioned seriously to keep from having to re-build twice. Good luck & please keep us in the re-build loop. Learning is golden. :thumbsup:

yeah i check my oil every time i first start it in the day and always when im putting it away. Mine uses a little bit of oil not much. Suppose it okay its a thumper!