Sign in to follow this  

will this be fixable with cold metal

hey guys

had a kind of a bad day today and took off my clutch cover to seal it, because it was leaking oil

but when i wanted to tighten the screws, suddenly i heard a crack.

i immediately took off the cover again and saw this (attached picture) crackin my case

a friend of mine told me to fix it with cold metal (i don´t know how it´s called in english, it´s translated literally)

so i wanted to get the advice of you pro´s at TT

will this be fixable with cold metal or do you have other proposals?

and how do i fix it with cold metal?

thx in advance

Dani

"JB weld" I'm guessing is the same or similar to "minute mend" or "knead it". Not sure what the equivalent is in Austria but if you google any of those names I'm sure you will find something.

Yhere are products (EPOXIES) that will work, why would you not just have it welded and fixed correctly!!!!

that is beyond fixing with any glue/jb weld etc, the crankcase will need to be welded, looks like a mix up of the bolts lengthwise has caused it, prior to welding, the case will need to be compressed to remove as much of the seporation as possible

That looks like a stressed part of the case.  Epoxy would not be a good repair choice here.

A lil 4043 rod would fix that... Cast is hard to weld but if you clean and prepare it correctly, it will hold for years.

Looks like someone doesnt know what torque specs are for.

Our "cpld metal" is something you have to knead(to get the two substances mixed togerher) and when it's dry after some hours its like metal.

I tried it 2times now and it always breaks down when i want to put the cover bacl on. It seems like it doesn't stick at the cover.

do you have some tips?

Our "cpld metal" is something you have to knead(to get the two substances mixed togerher) and when it's dry after some hours its like metal.

I tried it 2times now and it always breaks down when i want to put the cover bacl on. It seems like it doesn't stick at the cover.

do you have some tips?

yea, don't use it.

• Like 1

What I don't like about this is the hole affected by the crack appears to be a dowel pin hole.  Those holes exist to precisely position the cover for bearing alignments and such.  Any type of repair epoxy or weld would not restore the original dimensions and not be acceptable.  Crankcase covers run around $200 USD.

Edited by 1987CR250R

got it fixed with epoxy, thx for the advice. of course a new case would be better, but i couldn´t loose anything so i´m pretty happy with the result

look at engine diagram and see what transmission bearings / shafts are on the Inside of case in that area-

could cause bad things to happen

You don’t listen very well. You came on to a site asking for opinions and ignored them. Good luck with future repair, you might get luck and not cause any further damage but then again there’s always the chance you might.

got it fixed with epoxy, thx for the advice. of course a new case would be better, but i couldn´t loose anything so i´m pretty happy with the result

You don’t listen very well. You came on to a site asking for opinions and ignored them. Good luck with future repair, you might get luck and not cause any further damage but then again there’s always the chance you might.

If i'm not mistaken the part he glued is the clutch cover.  The gear is most likely a power valve gear.  I'm guessing it broke due to not seating the driven assembly in it's bore before tightening the bolts. 

Give the guy a break, after all when it comes to mechanical things isn't this one of the best ways to learn, trial and error?

Glad to hear your fix is working.

• Like 1