Sign in to follow this  

Rattray going back to Europe to ride in MX1 on Husky

Yes and no.... It's going to be very Swedish Husqvarna looking.

Different from anything else on the starting line.

Very exciting times :thumbsup:

Is this swedish looking?

1148953_635038109848703_253356281_n.jpg

Is this swedish looking?

1148953_635038109848703_253356281_n.jpg

Nope... Cheap Australian graphics on a Husaberg.

Sorry the new bikes don't look like that.

Nope... Cheap Australian graphics on a Husaberg.

Sorry the new bikes don't look like that.

prove it.

http://www.mxlarge.com/2013/08/30/tyla-rattray-interview-husky-boy/

Tyla Rattray interview – Husky Boy TEAM Red Bull ICEONE Husqvarna Factory Racing

Updated: August 30, 2013

2008 FIM World MX2 Champion Tyla Rattray has always been a rider who gives it 100% and wants major success. His victory over Antonio Cairoli and Tommy Searle in 08 was no fluke, it was from hard work and good preperation, and that is what he will be looking for when he returns for the Factory Husqvarna team in 2014. Simon Cudby image

We have always enjoyed Rattray the person, who loved a good laugh and enjoyed a chat. We caught up with him in America and asked him about his 2014 season and what he expects from it.

Q: Tyla, great to have you back in Europe. What made you return?

Rattray: Obviously I got a good deal to ride the new Husqvarna. I had some other options to stay in America, but my career started in Europe in 2000, it is where I started making a name for myself and I always wanted to return. I think it is a good step in my career to come back and try and win an MX1 title.

Q: You in 2008 and Pourcel in 2006 are the only guys to beat Antonio (Cairoli) for a World title in the last nine years. What is it going to take to win a World MX1 Championship?

Rattray: Obviously you need a good off-season and come into the season in good shape. I want to come in as strong as I a can. The weather in Europe doesn’t make for good training in the winter, but with me being in America and riding so much I have learnt a lot about fitness and training. The racing is totally different racing in American compared to Europe, but I am really looking forward to coming back to Europe.

Q: I can imagine you enjoyed your time in America, you had some success in the Lites class? Do you feel you have that goal out of your system now?

Rattray: Going to America was something I really wanted to do in my career and I have no regrets coming to America and racing, everyone knows this is where the gold of the sport is. I have had five years in America and really enjoyed riding for Mitch Paytons team, which is obviously the most successful Lites team in the history of the sport America, and now I have a new chapter in life and go for a MX1 title.

Q: Racing in America, with Supercross and Motocross seems very tough, did racing Supercross mess up your Motocross racing a little?

Rattray: You know obviously racing in America, in the 450cc class, you have a long season, you don’t ever get a break, its Supercross and then Nationals and you have a week off from the two series, while in Europe you get six months to do what you want after the season is finished, you have more weekends off in the season. It is tough on the body racing in America, because you don’t have time to rest, I think you see a lot of guys in America only race until they are like 28, while in Europe riders seem to race until they are 32, or 33 years old. If you are in America and you are healthy all the way through you still end your career earlier, because racing in America is brutal. I mean you finish Motocross in September and need to start preparing for Supercross soon after, its just 12 months of grind. I don’t regret it, I had a good time, racing two years in a row for the Lites title in Motocross and finishing second both years, but now I want to do something else in my life.

Q: As you mentioned, the lifestyle racing the Grand Prix series is pretty layback, a lot of friendships and social time at the races. You were always very social at the races and liked that part of it. You must be looking forward to being involved in that again?

Rattray: For sure, I mean when I was racing in Europe I loved going to the GPs early and hanging out, you know turning up on Friday and being around the riders. In America you fly in and fly out, you just race, its a lot less social. So that is a lot different, also the tracks are different, the weather is so different. At the Nationals it is so hot, while weather in Europe is pretty mild.

Q: What about the whole Husqvarna factory team thing. Seems like the bikes might be a lot like a KTM with some slight changes, of course also different graphics. Do you know what type of bike you will be racing?

Rattray: Obviously KTM are backing the whole thing, so it will be interesting what they come up with, obviously the bike will be ok, a lot of backing from Red Bull and the factory in Austria. Its like going back to family for me really. I mean I have a lot of friends at KTM and I know there will be people I look forward to seeing. Its going to be a lot of fun for sure.

Q: So when will we see you again, when will you be coming over for testing and preparing for 2014?

Rattray: I am really looking forward to seeing everyone again. I will be there in November for some testing and then again in January. It is important for me to have a good off-season and be somewhere I can ride a lot.

Q: Other South African riders like Greg Albertyn and Grant Langton have made America their home, will you return to live after you retire?

Rattray: I haven’t really thought about that. I haven’t really thought about what I will do when I retire. I mean I will keep my house in America and obviously all my friends and family live there. I still have a couple of years under my belt at a top level.

Edited by HuskyRips

http://www.mxlarge.com/2013/08/30/todd-waters-interview-euro-bound/

Todd Waters interview – Euro Bound TEAM Red Bull ICEONE Husqvarna Factory Racing

Updated: August 30, 2013

Our Australian media partner and MX friend Alex Gobert from Motonline spoke to Australia’s newest FIM Motocross World Championship regular Todd Waters, who will depart for Europe on Monday directly following this weekend’s final round of the Monster Energy MX Nationals, Australian Motocross Championship.

The Red Bull ICEONE Husqvarna Factory Racing team announced last night that Waters will join Tyla Rattray in the 2014 MX1 series as part of the all-new factory effort.

Waters, 22, admits it was a surprise of sorts to land a full factory deal to open his full time international career, and is excited for the challenge that lies ahead. Australian Motorex KTM team manager Rob Twyerould was instrumental in clinching the deal.

“The deal was done a little while ago, so it’s nice to have it officially announced now,” Waters told MotoOnline.com.au today. “When the deal came about, Robby T lined it up, and it shocked me. I’ve been working so hard to get to Europe, so for something this big – a factory ride – to happen it’s amazing.

“I’m looking forward to the experience, I’m going to take it with both hands and try run with it. I head over on Monday, get to know the team and everything, then race des Nations, come back to get the plate out of my collarbone before I have four weeks off. Then I’ll head straight over for testing and training. It’s exciting.”

Waters made the heavily-publicised move from Motul Pirelli Suzuki to Motorex KTM after finishing runner-up in the 2012 MX Nationals, in a bid to advance his prospects of securing a seat overseas. Now, just six months after his KTM signing was announced, Waters is transitioning to the world stage as planned.

“I had a good year with Suzuki last year and the team was great,” Waters added. “I couldn’t thank those guys enough, but a big part of the decision why I moved to KTM was to get myself in a better position to get to Europe and it’s happened – they’ve come through with their promises. It’s all been worthwhile, so it’s a good step forward I feel.”

Season 2013 has been a mixed one for the Cairns charger, winning the opening three rounds of the MX Nationals in dominant fashion before a string of injuries took their toll in the mid-stages. Entering Coolum’s finale this weekend, Waters faces a 25-point deficit to arch-rival Matt Moss.

“We’ve had a great year and we showed really good form, what the bike’s capable of and that the team works really well together,” Waters reflected. “Unfortunately we had a few injuries, but before they happened everything was going to plan.

“I hope to finish off the year strong this weekend and that’s all I can do. I’ve been doing everything I can during the week, so I look forward to Sunday’s racing. I’m just really thankful to the whole team for their hard work and support.”

Waters will represent Team Australia for the second consecutive year at next month’s Motocross of Nations in Germany alongside established internationals Dean Ferris and Brett Metcalfe.

His signing is expected to be the first of three major Australian rider announcements in the world championship, as MX2 World Championship round winner Ferris and newly-crowned Australian MX2 champion Luke Styke are also working on European-based contracts for 2014.