Clarke 4.0 gallon tank petcock

I have the Clarke 4.0 gallon tank, which takes the Clarke "No Groove" petcock (Grooved version is for the 4.7 gallon tank).  I had to install the Clarke petcock as I had clearance issues with the cylinder fins when using the stock version.

I've been thinking of picking up one of those Pringle petcocks, they look very nice and definitely like they can take a beating, may even have replaceable o-rings.  Can anyone here confirm WHICH XR series petcock might fit the Clarke 4 gallon tank?  I was under the impression that the XR650R version MIGHT fit but not having access to one (and, yes, I checked all the local motorcycle salvage yards, not a SINGLE XR!!!) I am unsure.  I will eventually give them a call but I figured someone here may be able to shed some light on this...

Yes, I had considered dremeling the fins but decided against it.  I ordered the Clarke petcock which fits nicely, was just looking for something a little "beefier" and I could keep my Clarke version as a spare.  To date, I have not had any issues with the Clarke petcock so I am not really complaining but the amount of plastic used in the construction does make me a little nervous...

You can make brackets to secure each side of the tank to the frame where the air scoops use to mount..

It keeps the tank from rocking side to side and contacting the petcock on the cylinder.

Its a pretty common mod when going to the bigger tank.

There are a few threads on here about it.

I made some years ago and have never had an issue with them after dumping it many many times.

Edited by jetfuel