Sign in to follow this  

California Emissions Canister removal

I have a question about the cannister removal.

i have a 2013 drz 400 and ive had it for about 3 months. i removed the canister and the bike seems to be running fine but i'm not sure if i did everything right

i followed the directions in this thread http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/320609-smog-cannister-removal-how-to/

my question has to do with the last part of the process. In the thread the OP says

"Thats it people! Now that line that runs from the petcock to the carb....leave that in and your petcock will function normally (leave it on "ON"). You wont have to fidget with that being on the "PRI" position. The owners manual actually says to NEVER leave it on PRI anyway. 

http://i19.photobuck...00/DRZvalve.jpg"

When i did the process i removed the two hoses and extended the tube that goes to the "L" valve down under the bike like it says to also removing the L valve, and the other hose, i put the cap that came on the cannister onto the open nipple on the carb. After i completed these to processes i was confused when i read that^ because i never even touched the line that ran from the petcock to the carb just the lines that ran to the L valve. 

not sure if that makes sense but let me know

basically all im saying is that i only had to complete step 1 and 2 from that thread and im pretty sure im done because the hose from the petcock to the carb was never touched

Edited by billfoss

just remove the two lines running to the canister.  One goes to the carb and one goes to that L valve. After the L valve it runs to under the tank, remove that as well. I plugged the line that runs to the carb right under the seat. There is a joint pipe there that you can remove and plug the hose that goes to the carb. 

• Like 1

just remove the two lines running to the canister.  One goes to the carb and one goes to that L valve. After the L valve it runs to under the tank, remove that as well. I plugged the line that runs to the carb right under the seat. There is a joint pipe there that you can remove and plug the hose that goes to the carb. 

so in a nutshell what i did was remove all the lines associated with the canister, I ran one from the tank down under the bike (or the seat like you did for venting) then plug the opening in the carb where you removed the hose 

Correct? 

whats confused me is what they mention in the other thread about the hose running from the petcock to the carb

nevermind i get it. we did the same thing except you didn't run a vent hose but i don't think it matters where it vents whether its at the tank or under the bike.

i think the last part of the dudes post in the other thread only applies to older bikes are something

What is the advantage of doing this?

From what i understand, if you overfill your gas tank, or if you drop your bike, the gas will go into the canister which will not let you start the bike.