Sign in to follow this  

Bore measurement gauge?

Looking to purchase a good bore gauge to measure the bore before purchasing my new top end.whats is some different ones ican purchase that are good ,better ,best etc. ilike to shop off of amazon eBay and other Internet sites?

I picked up a cheap analog gauge on eBay years ago. I "zero" it with a micrometer that is zero'd on a pin gauge. That's as accurate as anything else money can buy. That'll get you two decimal places more than you *need*.

Just DON'T buy the telescoping ones that you have to subsequently measure with a caliper or micrometer, those are painful to use for this.

Edited by etxxz

Looking to purchase a good bore gauge to measure the bore before purchasing my new top end.whats is some different ones ican purchase that are good ,better ,best etc. ilike to shop off of amazon eBay and other Internet sites?

Get yourself a good inside micrometer, like the one listed below. I'll then check over the inside mic with a calibrated outside mic. That is how I measure tight toleranced bores (accurate within .0002" depending on feel) at work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARRETT-INSIDE-MICROMETERS-2-8-124-SERIES-w-WOOD-BOX-VINTAGE-/261275734561?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd53f5221#ht_2389wt_1399

Get yourself a good inside micrometer, like the one listed below. I'll then check over the inside mic with a calibrated outside mic. That is how I measure tight toleranced bores (accurate within .0002" depending on feel) at work.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STARRETT-INSIDE-MICROMETERS-2-8-124-SERIES-w-WOOD-BOX-VINTAGE-/261275734561?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd53f5221#ht_2389wt_1399

Appreciate that iwill be purchasing that one forsure for my tool collection!! And what about a good outside calibrated micrometer, give me good example of one of those?

• Like 1