pilot power tires on drz?

So my bike came with some bridgstone battlax (forget which compound) and I am looking for some new rubber. I live on highway 9 in santa cruz ride 95/5 street and was looking into the pilot powers. I am thinking 150/60 for the rear and possibly a 120/70 in the front?? My main question is regarding the pilot power vs. 2ct. I am hoping for even wear between both tires and as much grip as possible. I am contemplating a 2ct up front and a power on the rear. Anyone ran both a single and dual compound on the front and rear with success?

P.S. Should I worry that these are not "supermoto specific" tires other than they may take a bit longer to warm up??

Edited by thebugslaaaa

I run Mich PP's in the size combo you have mentioned and love them !! I find them sticky enough even cold and with about 5,000 klm's on them they still look near new. I have read about people saying they squared  the tyres but mine are fine, you just need to use the sides properly to keep them round.....   :ride:

I think so. i dont remember and i dont think i have the old tire anymore...

front and rear...

I just got a set of the bt-003's for my setup so I will see how I like them.  From what I hear they have a hard carcass but have soft rubber.  It may give the feeling of it being a hard tire but if you learn to trust it, it will stick.

• Like 1

I just got a set of the bt-003's for my setup so I will see how I like them.  From what I hear they have a hard carcass but have soft rubber.  It may give the feeling of it being a hard tire but if you learn to trust it, it will stick.

it was the tires that were on the bike when i first got my drz. i didnt trust anything then. haha. especially myself...

• Like 1

My first set of tires that replaced the stock dunlops were PP 150/60 120/70. I was at around 3k mi then. I mostly freeway commute and romp around town. At around 9k miles the flat spot on the rear PP became noticeable on turn in. I bought a battlax s20 and must say it is just as good as the PP, but im hoping the middle lasts longer being a dual compound tire. The front tire is still good, so i left it on there.

The guy at the tire shop was surprised at how long the rear PP lasted. I guess the sport bikes dont get nearly the same mileage out of them as we do.

Cant go wrong with the PP. The aforementioned tire sizes are the best. 160 will just open up more tire options.

The PP warm up quick. The front will last a long time. Probably 2 rears to one front.

Edited by J.Ackel

My first set of tires that replaced the stock dunlops were PP 150/60 120/70. I was at around 3k mi then. I mostly freeway commute and romp around town. At around 9k miles the flat spot on the rear PP became noticeable on turn in. I bought a battlax s20 and must say it is just as good as the PP, but im hoping the middle lasts longer being a dual compound tire. The front tire is still good, so i left it on there.

The guy at the tire shop was surprised at how long the rear PP lasted. I guess the sport bikes dont get nearly the same mileage out of them as we do.

Cant go wrong with the PP. The aforementioned tire sizes are the best. 160 will just open up more tire options.

The PP warm up quick. The front will last a long time. Probably 2 rears to one front.

I've run 3 Battlax on the rear and gotten pretty good results. the first was an 016 that only lasted 4-5k miles but the 023 I put on the rear lasted me for ever it seemed. I've been running the same 016 front tire for nearly 8k miles, I don't trust it though. I've had several front end washouts with it. Slapping on a set of 003's soon.

• Like 1

I used run PP 160/120.  (did ~6000miles on the 2 rear I have used)

Now I run PR2 in 160/120 and I didn't really see any grip difference.(I'm at 4K miles in it and still look new.)

Good luck to find a sport tire that will use front/rear at the same time.

I've run 3 Battlax on the rear and gotten pretty good results. the first was an 016 that only lasted 4-5k miles but the 023 I put on the rear lasted me for ever it seemed. I've been running the same 016 front tire for nearly 8k miles, I don't trust it though. I've had several front end washouts with it. Slapping on a set of 003's soon.

I have a worn BT016 on the front of my bike right now and I also feel that it has lost some of its grip...  I'm trying to decide about going with the Mich PP 2ct, or the BT003 for the front...

On the rear I have run a couple of Mich Pilot Road 2's, 1 Mich Road 3, 3 - BT-023 a few Pilot power rears and a couple of others... the BT-023's have worked very well and they are less expensive than the Michelins...  I have always tried to stay with sport bike tires on the front, I think the best so far has been the Mich Pilot Power 2ct tires.  I am curious about the BT003 Bridgestones if they are on par with the Mich PP 2ct's, or are the BT003's a little softer ?  I can get about 10K-11K miles on the Michelin fronts, not sure how the BT003 might work and last.  I was also considering the BT003 on the front and maybe the S20 for the rear?  I would like to know what you think about the BT003's once you run on them.  

I have a worn BT016 on the front of my bike right now and I also feel that it has lost some of its grip... I'm trying to decide about going with the Mich PP 2ct, or the BT003 for the front...

On the rear I have run a couple of Mich Pilot Road 2's, 1 Mich Road 3, 3 - BT-023 a few Pilot power rears and a couple of others... the BT-023's have worked very well and they are less expensive than the Michelins... I have always tried to stay with sport bike tires on the front, I think the best so far has been the Mich Pilot Power 2ct tires. I am curious about the BT003 Bridgestones if they are on par with the Mich PP 2ct's, or are the BT003's a little softer ? I can get about 10K-11K miles on the Michelin fronts, not sure how the BT003 might work and last. I was also considering the BT003 on the front and maybe the S20 for the rear? I would like to know what you think about the BT003's once you run on them.

I'll keep you posted. And if they let go on me, this time the go-pro will be running.

I have a worn BT016 on the front of my bike right now and I also feel that it has lost some of its grip...  I'm trying to decide about going with the Mich PP 2ct, or the BT003 for the front...

On the rear I have run a couple of Mich Pilot Road 2's, 1 Mich Road 3, 3 - BT-023 a few Pilot power rears and a couple of others... the BT-023's have worked very well and they are less expensive than the Michelins...  I have always tried to stay with sport bike tires on the front, I think the best so far has been the Mich Pilot Power 2ct tires.  I am curious about the BT003 Bridgestones if they are on par with the Mich PP 2ct's, or are the BT003's a little softer ?  I can get about 10K-11K miles on the Michelin fronts, not sure how the BT003 might work and last.  I was also considering the BT003 on the front and maybe the S20 for the rear?  I would like to know what you think about the BT003's once you run on them.  

As soon as I get my hubs and rims back from the powder coater I can lace them up and slap those bt-003's on and give you some feedback.  I have the tires sitting in the garage, they feel pretty soft but nothing like a race slick. 

As soon as I get my hubs and rims back from the powder coater I can lace them up and slap those bt-003's on and give you some feedback.  I have the tires sitting in the garage, they feel pretty soft but nothing like a race slick. 

You can always send the tires out to me and I will break them in for you...  We don't want them going bad just sitting there waiting for the parts from the powder coater... ?

I used run PP 160/120.  (did ~6000miles on the 2 rear I have used)

Now I run PR2 in 160/120 and I didn't really see any grip difference.(I'm at 4K miles in it and still look new.)

Good luck to find a sport tire that will use front/rear at the same time.

your grip will actually be less with a 160 due to it been suited to a 5 inch rim, in my opinion nothing bigger than a 150 should be used on a drz 4.5 inch rear rim. remember a 160 is taller than a 150 too,it will throw your steering geometry out of whack,especially for a lighter rider