Sign in to follow this  

Gearing Help

I purchased a 2001 DRZ 400s a couple of months ago and have used it for commuting around town but now school has started up and i commute about 20 miles, 90% of that trip being on highway and i would like to change the sprockets to help the bike on the highway. I believe the bike has stock sprockets as it screams at 65-70mph (15/44). How might i go about making the bike easier to cruise on the freeway around 70mph. Thanks so much in advance.

Tl;dr: I want to make my drz 400s more capable of freeway riding, how do i do it?

I purchased a 2001 DRZ 400s a couple of months ago and have used it for commuting around town but now school has started up and i commute about 20 miles, 90% of that trip being on highway and i would like to change the sprockets to help the bike on the highway. I believe the bike has stock sprockets as it screams at 65-70mph (15/44). How might i go about making the bike easier to cruise on the freeway around 70mph. Thanks so much in advance.

Tl;dr: I want to make my drz 400s more capable of freeway riding, how do i do it?

i use 14/41 its decent.

First confirm you actually have a 15/44 combo.  I would then go to 41 on the S.   Sizes in the high 30's work well on the SM but would be too tall on the S (IMHO). 

I have 15/38t on a 2008 sm(JD jet kit, two brothers slip on, k&n) and I cruise at 70-75mph. Tapped out at 93mph with a tail wind lol.

I have 15/38t on a 2008 sm(JD jet kit, two brothers slip on, k&n) and I cruise at 70-75mph. Tapped out at 93mph with a tail wind lol.

no power wheelies with that im guessing

First confirm you actually have a 15/44 combo.  I would then go to 41 on the S.   Sizes in the high 30's work well on the SM but would be too tall on the S (IMHO). 

+1

(don't forget to factor in that the guys saying their SM's run well with "high 30's" are also running 17 inch wheels)

Thanks everyone for the help! i went into the shop with all of your knowledge and the guy said that i should keep the 15t front sprocket and get the back sprocket to be 42t. Im debating this as i cant find anyone who says that's going to help too much... Any testimonials haha? or people that have done this?

Are you running SM wheels?

I'm running 15 / 38 on my  S (SM wheels) because I ride highway from time to time. I like it actually.

Are you running SM wheels?

I'm running 15 / 38 on my  S (SM wheels) because I ride highway from time to time. I like it actually.

No, stock DRZ400s wheels

DRZ400S with stock 18/21 wheels use 15/41.  Equal more or less to 16/44.  15/41 will be a nice improvement over 15/44 but not too radical.

Nope no wheelies here. However on a friends exact bike and same sprockets plus a full yoshi system I wheelied for days

DRZ400S with stock 18/21 wheels use 15/41.  Equal more or less to 16/44.  15/41 will be a nice improvement over 15/44 but not too radical.

Noble-

Did you mean 15/44 on a stock DR-Z S?  I'm trying to get my head around DR-Z gearing for the highway, too. Thanks

Sarah

Have you counted the teeth on your sprockets? If it's stock it will not be "screaming" at 65/70. I run 14/44 and 65 is about where it starts to really wind up. With stock 15/44 gearing it cruises there fine but sucks on the trail. 

I can still get them in 1st and 2nd, I tried doing them in 3rd but I was standing on the passenger pegs trying to bounce it up, got a little scary.

I can still get them in 1st and 2nd, I tried doing them in 3rd but I was standing on the passenger pegs trying to bounce it up, got a little scary.

whats your gearing? I just prefer doing power wheelies istead of clutch up it feels weird with clutch ups

whats your gearing? I just prefer doing power wheelies istead of clutch up it feels weird with clutch ups

15/38. I actually only learned recently how to clutch up and I love it. I can start at a slower speed and I feel like I have much more control. When power wheeling I would always get nervous at how fast the front end was coming up and let of the throttle, but because of the gearing I didn't have enough power to pick the front end back up.

15/38. I actually only learned recently how to clutch up and I love it. I can start at a slower speed and I feel like I have much more control. When power wheeling I would always get nervous at how fast the front end was coming up and let of the throttle, but because of the gearing I didn't have enough power to pick the front end back up.

suppose your right :) i learnt how to clutch ups recently to. Its horrible when i first tried! You have to get over the fear :D