Can't Set My Sag?

I have a 13 RMZ 450 that I had sent out to a local guy to get re-valved, I also got the Ride Engineering lowering link at the same time. I finally got my bike put back together but now I can not get my sag set properly. I had a buddy help me set the sag before the re-valve and was able to get it set to 100mm, of course I was not the one running the tape measure at that time but I have no reason to believe that he measured wrong (I made him triple check). Now I can only get 87mm of sag before I run out of room to soften the spring any further. The shock spring is stock (5.7 i think) which according to the guy that did the re-valve is the proper spring for my weight which is 150lbs. I'm pretty sure that the shock spring is properly installed, and didn't notice anything visually that would be affecting the performance of the shock. Any suggestions on what may be wrong??

The valveing and spring are independent of each other the first thing that comes to mind is the lowering link may have caused the leverage to change making your spring act stiffer. I would contact ride engineering and ask what they recommend for a spring.

Okay, Thanks!  I'll give that a try.

When you get the link most people say to get 2 steps stiffer springs front and back.  Im surprised you got a link on an rmz though.  What were you going for?

The main reason I got the lowering link was because Im a shorter rider so any way I can lower the bike helps, I also heard that it helps to improve the handling of the bike.  If most lowering links usually require a stiffer spring I must have other issues with my shock then...

Ditch the link.  It is stiffening the initial travel of the shock and throwing your sag off. I bet you get your numbers back. Check with your tuner and see how he valved it.  At 150 on the RMZ with a valved shock and a 5.7 you don't need the link.  

I would be surprised if you get decent sag numbers at 150 on any 450 with STD springs

As mog says, @150 a 5.7 is too stiff for sure. I only found proper sag numbers On my crf450 @ 140 lbs with a 4.6kgmm spring in the end!

MAJOR red flag. A 5.7 for 150lb. rider is way too stiff.

I would really hope that no suspension shop would ever recommend that combination. Link or no link, it's not going to work.

So were the initial sag settings a mismeasurement?

I am just over 200 pounds and I was told to use the 5.7 or 5.8 spring in the rear with .48 or .49 fork springs.  For a 150 pound rider that sounds way stiff.

I called Ride Engineering and they said that I do not need to change my spring rate based on the lowering link. I then called RG3 suspension to see what spring they suggest for my weight and riding ability. I was told that with their re-valve a 5.4 shock spring is what I would require. So I am going to order the new spring and hopefully that works! Thanks for all your help! Ill let you know how it works.

I called Ride Engineering and they said that I do not need to change my spring rate based on the lowering link. I then called RG3 suspension to see what spring they suggest for my weight and riding ability. I was told that with their re-valve a 5.4 shock spring is what I would require. So I am going to order the new spring and hopefully that works! Thanks for all your help! Ill let you know how it works.

It is true that you often don't need to change a spring rate when you change a link arm. However, a 5.4 is still too high of a rate for a 150lb rider.

I might use a 5.4 if I really wanted to keep the bike high up in the stroke, say for rocks or desert, or for really high speed stuff like Supermoto or street, but for MX a 5.0 to 5.2 would be a better choice.

And RG3 doesn't do anything so extreme with valving that you would need to run a 5.4.

We have guys in the 150 range that we run 4.7s with. I'm 170 and I run 5.3s on my 450s (when I'm using a straight rate).

It is true that you often don't need to change a spring rate when you change a link arm. However, a 5.4 is still too high of a rate for a 150lb rider.

I might use a 5.4 if I really wanted to keep the bike high up in the stroke, say for rocks or desert, or for really high speed stuff like Supermoto or street, but for MX a 5.0 to 5.2 would be a better choice.

And RG3 doesn't do anything so extreme with valving that you would need to run a 5.4.

We have guys in the 150 range that we run 4.7s with. I'm 170 and I run 5.3s on my 450s (when I'm using a straight rate).

Well that would make sense. My 09 YZ 450 had a 5.1 in it and that worked perfectly for me, maybe getting slightly on the softer side as I got faster and put on 4-5 more lbs... Is it possible that the spring rate may be different for different brands of bikes with the same rider?

Well that would make sense. My 09 YZ 450 had a 5.1 in it and that worked perfectly for me, maybe getting slightly on the softer side as I got faster and put on 4-5 more lbs... Is it possible that the spring rate may be different for different brands of bikes with the same rider?

The 5.1 makes more sense and to be honest with you, it will produce a faster and safer bike. Long story.

That said, yes...some bikes require different rates because of the bike. But in all the cases that we deal with, it's a softer spring and not a stiffer one. So there is no reason that I can think of that you would need a 5.4 on this bike at your weight...unless it was a Supermoto or street app, or a Baja 500/1000 machine.

That said, you also need to keep the bike balanced, so it might be worth it to know what spring is up front. These bikes come with a .50 (.99kg) sprinng which is way over for the average MXer. It would not be wise to run a 5.1 rear with a .99KG front.