Sign in to follow this  

Beetle tip

Anyone have an idea where to get a VW Beetle tip to insert in the spark arrestor of a 400? I've checked the local parts stores and nothing.

Anyone have an idea where to get a VW Beetle tip to insert in the spark arrestor of a 400? I've checked the local parts stores and nothing.

e-bay, here's one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-1974-Type-1-VW-Beetle-Chrome-Tail-Pipe-Tip-250mm-/190892160397?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3AVolkswagen%7CModel%3ABeetle&hash=item2c720f358d&vxp=mtr#ht_1173wt_959

Edited by Brewster Two

Go to the link by Brewster Two to see it.  I tried it two days ago.  I like it a lot.  Amazingly quiet for a straight-through design.

If someone finds a link, can they post it.   I did a search and there were several links.   One by Brewster talked about cutting out the Spark Arrestor.  (He is in the UK.)  A really bad idea in my opinion.  

I know in CA, you need to sparky to ride off-road.   Just watch a video of the "Rim Fire" and you can see the results of a man made fire.   I think you have a better chance of winning the Lotto than causing a fire with a spark from the exhaust, but it's a million dollar gamble.

i think he means post a pic of the pipe installed on your bike. im curious too

Exactly.  I followed the link to e-bay and saw a chrome tube.  Great...  but how does it fit on a dirtbike?

Use the insert from a 96-97 that has the removable pea shooter.  The beetle tip fits into this hole exactly.  You do NOT need to remove the spark arrestor screen.  Why would you even want to?  At idle, my Vortip is quieter, but under throttle, I think the beetle tip may be at least as quiet.  It amazed me.  Its a straight perforated tube about 8 inches long, about 1" ID and it is quiet.

Use the insert from a 96-97 that has the removable pea shooter.  The beetle tip fits into this hole exactly.  You do NOT need to remove the spark arrestor screen.  Why would you even want to?  At idle, my Vortip is quieter, but under throttle, I think the beetle tip may be at least as quiet.  It amazed me.  Its a straight perforated tube about 8 inches long, about 1" ID and it is quiet.

I have no idea why someone would remove the end of the spark screen, but that is what the post stated.  IMHO, a bad idea.   I mention it as so many posts of people following "Gordon's mods" go ahead and drill 4 holes and plug the 4th hole, although he states 3 holes was better.

Can you post a photo?

Edited by Kev_XR

If someone finds a link, can they post it.   I did a search and there were several links.   One by Brewster talked about cutting out the Spark Arrestor.  (He is in the UK.)  A really bad idea in my opinion.  

I know in CA, you need to sparky to ride off-road.   Just watch a video of the "Rim Fire" and you can see the results of a man made fire.   I think you have a better chance of winning the Lotto than causing a fire with a spark from the exhaust, but it's a million dollar gamble.

To be clear, I'm not in the UK, and I did NOT link a thread about cutting out the spark arrestor.  I only attached an e-bay link to a VW exhaust tip.

Cheers,

Edited by Brewster Two