Sign in to follow this  

Having trouble shifting

This might seem dumb, but im having a lot of trouble shifting while im standing up. It feels fine sitting down but when standing up and theres more weight on the pegs, my foot seems glued to the peg. Then when i pick it up to shift, i cant be precise with the shifter lever because the movement of the bike jostles it around. Its verrrrrry frustrating because sometimes i shift good and then other times i miss shifts or shift too much. Does anyone else have this issue??

This might seem dumb, but im having a lot of trouble shifting while im standing up. It feels fine sitting down but when standing up and theres more weight on the pegs, my foot seems glued to the peg. Then when i pick it up to shift, i cant be precise with the shifter lever because the movement of the bike jostles it around. Its verrrrrry frustrating because sometimes i shift good and then other times i miss shifts or shift too much. Does anyone else have this issue??

Yup I struggle hard both shifting and back braking when standing. Most importantly have your shift lever set up as comfortable as you can. I ride on the balls of my feet and like them to stick to the pegs, so when I have my weight on them standing its hard to slide one foot forward and then hit the lever. I would practice doing drills going slow and shifting/braking while standing til you get used to it, speed up and get the hang of it, then try it out on the track/trail. Practice makes perfect, its not just gonna click overnight.

Try sticking your toes under the shifter, and pulling up with your leg, dont rotate your foot like you typically would while sitting. Just use your as a hook, and pull your leg towards yourself. Once you get comfortable, you'll find something that works for you.

Try sticking your toes under the shifter, and pulling up with your leg, dont rotate your foot like you typically would while sitting. Just use your as a hook, and pull your leg towards yourself. Once you get comfortable, you'll find something that works for you.

Clever, never thought of this. I can downshift while standing...its easy lol, just stomp on the &%$#@!in thing. Gonna try hookin it next time im out.

yep. MXW said, take your whole foot off the peg, knock it up using your whole leg, find the peg again. For me it end up being less unsettling, less distracting and quicker then trying to move my foot up on the peg, get the shift, then move it back on the peg. Plus less missed shifts, a better feel for the lever and it's easier in rough sections,

I've found that having the shifter adjusted about the same height or just a hair higher than the footpegs works best for starters. Then if you're in the forward body position you'll need to lift your entire leg to shift. But if you're in the middle or back position you can pivot your foot on the foot peg from the arch to shift. If you have newer boots loosen the two bottom buckles for more freedom of movement.

For all the details of Clutch, Throttle and Shifting Techniques check out a free DVD preview and/or order online at; http://wp.gsmxs.com/dvd-3-clutch-throttle-clutch-control/

Clutch, Throttle & Shifting DVD Previews page WP.jpg