Wich stroke do i adjust the valves at?

Hi. The bike i am adjusting valves on is a 2006 525 EXC RFS. I am adjusting my valves for the first time by the book and i have removed the flywheel cover, and i have the notch on the flywheel matching that black plastic thing. But there is 2 different positions on the valves when i turn the flywheel. On one of the two rounds none of the valves move, and on the other round the intake valves are just starting going down. Which of these do i adjust the valves at? Please help me :D

The easy way to verify you're at TDC is to turn the engine over by hand (pull the spark plug and use a wrench on the flywheel bolt). Watch the intake valves, as the intakes close, the timing marks will align just after the intakes close. That's when your engine is at TDC and ready for you to adjust all 4 valves.  (FYI, make sure you're rotating the crank in the correct direction, otherwise my way won't work)

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine. (Make sure you properly torque the lock nuts and recheck the clearances after doing so)

RB

I suggest putting it in 5th or 6th gear to spin then engine with the plug out.  No need to open up the case to make the piston move.  Not sure of what timing marks RB is referring too.  Maybe it's inside the case. Never done it that way But there aren' t any just looking at the valves fyi.    There are a couple different methods people use on the good old RFS engine.  btw..there is a crank lock allen bolt on the front of the engine (behind skid plate if you have one).  That will tighten up flat to the case with just fingers (no ratchet.. just spin the hex or socket-allen with your fingers.  almost no torque at all).  It is very preciseWhen it goes all they way flush to the case the crank is in the exact right spot  to adjust the valves.  Of course you must be top dead center too becuase you can have the crank lock go flush if you are 180 degrees out also.

Jeb has a great instructions on his site.  Old site but valve adjust process is still applicable to a 2006.   I learned using his  valve adjustment instructions when I bought mine in 2005.  I have been doing it this way for over 500 hours on mine.

http://webpages.charter.net/jejb/pictures_main.html

Good video also.  I don't disconnect the electrical wires.  You can move them around.  It is eaiser to do it with the radiators off, but it CAN be done with them on and loosened up.  A helper makes it much eaiser if you do it like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWS9RuEQzc8

Edited by smithpa68

The easy way to verify you're at TDC is to turn the engine over by hand (pull the spark plug and use a wrench on the flywheel bolt). Watch the intake valves, as the intakes close, the timing marks will align just after the intakes close. That's when your engine is at TDC and ready for you to adjust all 4 valves.  (FYI, make sure you're rotating the crank in the correct direction, otherwise my way won't work)

Good luck, I'm sure you'll do fine. (Make sure you properly torque the lock nuts and recheck the clearances after doing so)

RB

Thanks for this! Did the adjustment and it starts in 1 second now and runs like never before. Thank you so much!

I suggest putting it in 5th or 6th gear to spin then engine with the plug out.  No need to open up the case to make the piston move.  Not sure of what timing marks RB is referring too.  Maybe it's inside the case. Never done it that way But there aren' t any just looking at the valves fyi.    There are a couple different methods people use on the good old RFS engine.  btw..there is a crank lock allen bolt on the front of the engine (behind skid plate if you have one).  That will tighten up flat to the case with just fingers (no ratchet.. just spin the hex or socket-allen with your fingers.  almost no torque at all).  It is very preciseWhen it goes all they way flush to the case the crank is in the exact right spot  to adjust the valves.  Of course you must be top dead center too becuase you can have the crank lock go flush if you are 180 degrees out also.

Jeb has a great instructions on his site.  Old site but valve adjust process is still applicable to a 2006.   I learned using his  valve adjustment instructions when I bought mine in 2005.  I have been doing it this way for over 500 hours on mine.

http://webpages.charter.net/jejb/pictures_main.html

Good video also.  I don't disconnect the electrical wires.  You can move them around.  It is eaiser to do it with the radiators off, but it CAN be done with them on and loosened up.  A helper makes it much eaiser if you do it like that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWS9RuEQzc8

Yeah ive tried this way before and i &%$#@!ed it up. I was at wrong tdc last time with this method so now im just doing it the safe way with the flywheel :) But that link was great. And the film i definately dont get. Could never get the valves to move like his :D But thanks.

Thanks for this! Did the adjustment and it starts in 1 second now and runs like never before. Thank you so much!

You're welcome.

RB