Sign in to follow this  

Supercross Evolution of Whoops technique

Just watched the 92 San Diego SX, all the guys were jumping through the whoops.

When, and who started blitzing through them??? Just curious.

Watch a vid of JMB and tell us he was better than McGrath in the whoops

I'm a huge Bayle fan but he did not reinvent the way guys hit the whoop section

• Like 2

Whoops were blitzed back in 80, no one came up with it at a single race or time.

Mike Bell in 1980 made this statement, To motocross action magazine.“It also didn’t hurt that I had grown several inches in what seemed like overnight. When I signed my Yamaha contract back in 1977, just before my 20th birthday, I was 6 feet 2 inches tall. In two years, I had shot up another two inches, and I used that height to my advantage. Supercross tracks were becoming more technical, and my long legs helped me go faster through certain sections. Although I looked like a monkey riding a football, I realized that I could go wide open through the whoops. It was awesome! I remember hearing riders complain about how unfair it was because I was so tall. I learned to use my legs as additional suspension."

Edited by ncc

Thx guys. Found footage of other races from that yr and JMB and the gang were blitzing them. The section in San Diego I was watching must have had something odd about them (hard to tell, cameras sucked back then!) even though they looked mild by todays standards.

The last race of that season very much like this years 250s.... Bradshaw had the same implosion as Tomac did this yr. Frozen on the bike.

They have been blitzing woops from day one. The height and angle of them made a difference in how fast you could blitz them or if you had to jump through them.

If they werent to big, you clamped the tank and let your legs and bike work, if they were to big you jumped through them. All the way up until recently the woops were different sizes at different venues, now they are the same size at every track.

• Like 1

Whoops were blitzed back in 80, no one came up with it at a single race or time.

Mike Bell in 1980 made this statement, To motocross action magazine.“It also didn’t hurt that I had grown several inches in what seemed like overnight. When I signed my Yamaha contract back in 1977, just before my 20th birthday, I was 6 feet 2 inches tall. In two years, I had shot up another two inches, and I used that height to my advantage. Supercross tracks were becoming more technical, and my long legs helped me go faster through certain sections. Although I looked like a monkey riding a football, I realized that I could go wide open through the whoops. It was awesome! I remember hearing riders complain about how unfair it was because I was so tall. I learned to use my legs as additional suspension."

Who?

• Like 1

I'm surprised that a certain jack off on here isn't going to say they weren't blitzing the whoops until James came along. As we all know, all current technique began with him.  

• Like 4

I'm surprised that a certain jack off on here isn't going to say they weren't blitzing the whoops until James came along. As we all know, all current technique began with him.  

I thought JS7 invented the modern day four stroke that ruined racing for families everywhere as part of a conspiracy to get rid of white folk from racing?

• Like 2

I thought JS7 invented the modern day four stroke that ruined racing for families everywhere as part of a conspiracy to get rid of white folk from racing?

You got it backwards. The thumper was designed to raise the cost of racing therefor keeping poor people out of racing

• Like 3

And I thought this tread was going to address Brett's ... I mean Whoopi's technique  :smirk:

Is he on a time out again?  It's been quiet

wouldnt he (following stereotyoes) need to make it cheaper to get more black people involved? Just a thought.

wouldnt he (following stereotyoes) need to make it cheaper to get more black people involved? Just a thought.

Wow.  Now I see how racist you guys down south be.  Why the auto assumption black people are poor?  

Good try! Im a james fan.. not a racist. Plus I have a friend thats black so I couldnt be racist. Haha

Just a cover for your real inner feelings, evidenced by your prior comment  :D

• Like 1