YZ/WR 200 Project

Just getting rolling on this one. I've got the motor fit-up and the rest is just mocked up for now. Hoping to finish this one near October so I can hit the mountains before winter hits. Some of this is beyond my skill, so I am using every favor I have available to me, whether owed or going to give payback for. (I'm afraid the ledger will NOT be balanced in my favor after this. LOL)

08091316239500011.JPG

08271319009500011.JPG

08271319029500011.jpg

Looks like ya just started , how does the motor mounts line up? The swing arm pivot bolt go through the cases?

I'm sure people will ask why didn't ya just 144 the 125.because that wr200 motor will be smoother I bet.

That is precisely why the 200cc. For those tight single tracks we have, I have never had more fun than I had on my buddies WR200 a couple of months ago. About three weeks after that, I sold my CRF450X and bought a clunker 200 for $500 and found a beautiful 03' YZ125 for $1200. 

It all started just before that when a good friend of mine built himself a KDX200/KX125 conversion. I rode his bike and the WR back to back and liked the WR motor but loved the "modernness" of the KDX/KX. So of course I started thinking of this right away. Then found the pics of the guy in Britain who built his. Now I'm in over my head, but it WILL get finished soon, and I can see no way I wont like it! :ride:

Also. I had to drill the cases just a little and have spacers made to fit the swingarm bolt through. The YZ motormounts and all other tabs had to be cut-off as well. The motor mounts are done as are the brackets for the YPVS and ignition coil. I've got to mount the cdi and rectifier still, then I can tear it all back apart and rebuild the motor, get the suspension done, make a spacer for the carb to YZ boot, then put on all those pretty new plastics and graphics! :thumbsup:

What's the issue with the airboot? it looks like from that one guys pics there wasn't much of an issue here? I have the dirt bike issue where they did the test on the Moose modded wr 200. Ported it and head mod and lightened up the flywheel alittle bit over stock.

The carb inlet on the little WR carb is roughly 2/3 the diameter of the YZ air boot. It lines up perfect though.

As far as the motor, I bought an FMF pipe, Boyesen reeds, going to match the ports, and then jet it. That was the exact state of the motor I rode at Naches and loved it.

Edited by YoDaddy

Found this hybrid page a couple weeks ago,

http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/text/topic/139652-1.html

...and have just recently found a beater WR 200 for dirt cheap,

and am looking for a cheap YZ125

Does anybody still sell pipes / motor mod parts for the WR 200 ?

The carb inlet on the little WR carb is roughly 2/3 the diameter of the YZ air boot. It lines up perfect though.

As far as the motor, I bought an FMF pipe, Boyesen reeds, going to match the ports, and then jet it. That was the exact state of the motor I rode at Naches and loved it.

It's interesting. I have a plan to make YZ frame +DT230 motor hybrid. The DT230 motor is similarly like to WR200. But it has electric starter and +30cc.

Did you remade the pipe your self?  Pipe work always becomes the issue of the engine swap...

RLV makes wicked pipes,

This is a interesting project you have going. Keep adding pics with your build as this type of build seem to catch on. Good job so far and i am looking forward to seeing your finished bike. My boy and I currently have (3) Yamaha IT200's and I am tossing around the idea of putting one engine in a newer chassis. Ya it may be a old air cooled engine but they still run great and have plenty of pull to get up any thing I have found in Michigan. Zrt

Edited by Zrt1200

This is a interesting project you have going. Keep adding pics with your build as this type of build seem to catch on. Good job so far and i am looking forward to seeing your finished bike. My boy and I currently have (3) Yamaha IT200's and I am tossing around the idea of putting one engine in a newer chassis. Ya it may be a old air cooled engine but they still run great and have plenty of pull to get up any thing I have found in Michigan. Zrt

There is a guy on here who did exactly that. I'll see if I can dig it up.

Yes. I found an FMF pipe, Wiseco Pistons, and much more on e-bay. The pipe on this one will be easy compared to some. Since the FMF pipe comes with an exhaust manifold in front of it, it is just a matter of making a different one at a better angle for the pipe to lay down over the cases then cut some of the stinger off to match it to the YZ turbine core.

There is a guy on here who did exactly that. I'll see if I can dig it up.

I would like to see that post. Let me know if you find it. Thanks. Zrt

Yup, that's where I stole the idea.

Just wondering. Why not just upgrade the forks and shock on a wr200?

Just wondering. Why not just upgrade the forks and shock on a wr200?

Actually, this is a big list: better suspension and ergo's, 30lb weight loss, better parts availability, looks cool, fun and challenging to build something that the Japanese manufacturers won't. A nice purpose built 2-smoke trail machine! I like my Yamaha/Honda dealer and not so much the Katoom dealer here. I am trying to build something that handles like a dream in the woods yet won't tire me out like my 450 did. I am getting older and like suspension and handling WAY more than I like horsepower.

I think that IT a few posts above is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen! :applause:

Actually, this is a big list: better suspension and ergo's, 30lb weight loss, better parts availability, looks cool, fun and challenging to build something that the Japanese manufacturers won't. A nice purpose built 2-smoke trail machine! I like my Yamaha/Honda dealer and not so much the Katoom dealer here. I am trying to build something that handles like a dream in the woods yet won't tire me out like my 450 did. I am getting older and like suspension and handling WAY more than I like horsepower.

I think that IT a few posts above is just about the coolest thing I've ever seen! :applause:

That cool. 

Someone in CA had a plated Wr200 that was all tricked out for sale last year. Had gold tubs with black wheels, all new plastic and I think it had newer forks on it. If I was not in the middle of buying a house I would have picked it up. 

WR 4.jpgWR 3.jpgWR 1.jpgWR 2.jpgHere's where the powervalve and ignition coil went, a pic of the WR200 I bought for a motor donor, and the aluminum head stay bolts I made. (crude I know). The WR looks decent in this photo, but the back of the frame was homemade rebar, the pipe was plugged, bars bent to hell, silencer was knocked off the pipe, and much, much more. I drove 4 hours to meet the kid after he assured me it was a nice bike. He was asking $1300! I told him after a little outrage that I'd give him $500 bucks. He took it. It got me a motor, transmission, elctronics and a carb. I gave the rest to a fellow WR200 owner. After I sold my CRF450X, I immediately drove down the street and bought the 125. It should be done in two weeks. I'll keep the pics coming.