YZ/WR 200 Project

Almost forgot....

Has anyone here ever run a Lectron carb on their bike? I am not a fan of the old Mikuni on this thing and have heard very little about them. Good? Bad?

Great build. I have a lectron on my YZ 295, It definitely makes life easier.

Total power output is not much different from a well tuned keihin

• Like 1

I have a few buddys that switched to the Lectron from the VM mikuni round slides. It took them a while to figure them out but they wont go back to a mikuni round slide now. Personally I will stay with the round slide as I have a ton of tuning parts for them and they work very well when fitted with a UFO. I have tried the TMX and went back to the round slide with a UFO. I just could not get a good handle on the TMX.

• Like 1

I still wanna see that in person maybe next month friend should have his cr250af back together it is in a '10 crf250r chassis 06 motor.

• Like 1

I still wanna see that in person maybe next month friend should have his cr250af back together it is in a '10 crf250r chassis 06 motor.

For sure. I was avoiding riding this spring because of the constant rain this year. Went to Tahuya on Friday afternoon and had a great time. My buddy and I are going to start hitting Fridays after work quite a bit just to avoid the crowds til' the mountains start to become passable.

Raced the little scooter a couple of weekends ago and enjoyed the hell out of it! Was less tired, it handled the tight stuff impressively, and did pretty good on the top speed asphalt too. (just had to remember to drop a gear or two on the paved corners as the old 450 didn't care about gears there) I recommend building these things to  anyone with mechanical ability. It is a great alternative to the orange bikes out there and cost me no more that 4K to build a brand new bike.

John Spike 2014 3.jpg

John Spike 2014 5.jpg

Spike 2014.jpg

• Like 2

I know I'm way late on this.

But why not just sleeve down a YZ250?

...because that wouldn't be as fun

Preferences
§
-
=
Backspace

Tab
q
w
e
r
t
y
u
i
o
p
[
]

Return

capslock
a
s
d
f
g
h
j
k
l
;
'
\

shift
`
z
x
c
v
b
n
m
/
shift

English

Deutsch

Español

Français

Italiano

Português

Русский

alt
alt

Preferences

Edited by RyanH216

Towards the end of the build, I asked that question myself! LOL But like Ryan said above, that wouldn't have been near as fun. I really like the WR200 motor and wanted to use it in a modern chassis. This is the bike the Japanese should be building us for off-road.

• Like 1

Awesome build. I thought about this(using the YZ frame) and transplanting the motor when I built my WR/YZ200. I ended up just using the WR frame, YZ125 swingarm, front forks/triple clamps, along with the rear shock and linkage. I do still plan on using the YZ125's subframe so I can use the carburetor and airbox. That is where my downfall is, and the upper hand for you using the YZ frame. Can't wait to see the bike finished and rippin'. Also smokin'Joe is correct, RD125-RD350's that had YVPS, their cables will work and are much longer. 

Awesome build. I thought about this(using the YZ frame) and transplanting the motor when I built my WR/YZ200. I ended up just using the WR frame, YZ125 swingarm, front forks/triple clamps, along with the rear shock and linkage. I do still plan on using the YZ125's subframe so I can use the carburetor and airbox. That is where my downfall is, and the upper hand for you using the YZ frame. Can't wait to see the bike finished and rippin'. Also smokin'Joe is correct, RD125-RD350's that had YVPS, their cables will work and are much longer. 

Scott, any pictures of yours? I just picked up one of these bikes, and am thoroughly impressed! Haven't decided if I will do the complete YZ transformation like this build thread, or if I might do something like what you described. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................................................... :thinking:

Scott, any pictures of yours? I just picked up one of these bikes, and am thoroughly impressed! Haven't decided if I will do the complete YZ transformation like this build thread, or if I might do something like what you described. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm..................................................... :thinking:

check out the WR200 thread, mine is toward the end. I can post more pictures too. Just don't want to post my pictures in someone else's build thread. 

• Like 1

check out the WR200 thread, mine is toward the end. I can post more pictures too. Just don't want to post my pictures in someone else's build thread. 

By all means, feel free. I like to see anything to do with these forgotten gems.

• Like 2

I picked this gem up a couple of months ago.  Along with the bike came a spare frame and "roached" engine.  This thread has me drooling over your 125 hybrid!

wr8.jpgwr7.jpgwr6.jpgwr5.jpgwr4.jpgwr1.jpg

• Like 3

Perfect!

If you do the YZ125/WR200 hybrid, the bottom end (cases) of that extra engine can be used to sort out motor mounts on the YZ frame without disturbing the donor WR.

I'm not sure how extensive the motor mount modifications are on this conversion, so I'll be watching for any info you may post.  :thumbsup:

What are these WR200's like? from what i've watched/read they seem more than capable to keep up with modern bikes. Not sure about mx track, but for the enduro/trails i ride these bike's look good. Like to hear comments from people who own them!

I've got one, and it's in the process of being transformed into a YZ125 framed hybrid. As for how do they run, I really like the little motor! It doesn't have a ton of power, but that is easily remedied. And with that counterbalancer, the engine is incredibly smooth, and puts the power down to the ground unlike any other two stroke out there!!  But of course, the new KTM two strokes are now counterbalanced, so I'm going to have to try the Orange Koolaid again.

• Like 2

I've got one, and it's in the process of being transformed into a YZ125 framed hybrid. As for how do they run, I really like the little motor! It doesn't have a ton of power, but that is easily remedied. And with that counterbalancer, the engine is incredibly smooth, and puts the power down to the ground unlike any other two stroke out there!!  But of course, the new KTM two strokes are now counterbalanced, so I'm going to have to try the Orange Koolaid again.

Thanks for that. I think i have really confirmed my next bike.

Can anyone comment / elaborate on the motor mount re-configuration to fit a WR200 motor into a YZ125 frame?

I'm considering this swap, but would like to use a later aluminum-framed bike instead of a steelie.

I understand there are added factors in modifying aluminum frames, so I'm curious as to how extensive the motor mount changes will have to be.

Thanks!

Can anyone comment / elaborate on the motor mount re-configuration to fit a WR200 motor into a YZ125 frame?

I'm considering this swap, but would like to use a later aluminum-framed bike instead of a steelie.

I understand there are added factors in modifying aluminum frames, so I'm curious as to how extensive the motor mount changes will have to be.

Thanks!

As mentioned earlier in the thread (albeit three years ago LOL) I just cut off the YZ's motor mounts and made 3x3x3 triangles to drill appropriate bolt holes in, bolted them into the motor, and ligned them up on the frame. There will be some light grinding to fit any curves of the frame, then weld. It wasn't very scientific, but I haven't had any issues after all these years. Hope that helps.

• Like 1